slow travis!

Dan Kortschak

Jul 31, 2017, 7:24:50 PM7/31/17
to gonu...@googlegroups.com
Travis has been causing a lot of problems for go1.6 builds since we
merged all the repos into gonum/gonum. Part of this is our fault, and
that is the only thing we can do anything about.

Because we are now testing significantly more code in a single build
cycle sometimes travis' builds timeout before completion (open source
projects are given 50 minutes). This happens because we do several
complete builds/tests, testing each of the important build tags to
ensure build consistency. However, it only seems to happen with go1.6
(compile time?, SSA optimisations? who knows).

This is a bit of a problem.

Things we can do:

1. Wait until go1.6 goes away (soon) and see if that solves the
problem.

2. Don't use the travis build matrix, but rather engineer our own (or
figure out how to use travis in a more refined way) so that only
packages with these build tags are multiply tested.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards 1., but 2. might be necessary.

Dan

Brendan Tracey

Aug 1, 2017, 12:16:24 AM8/1/17
to gonum-dev
I lean toward 1, at least since it's so close to the 1.9 release.

I suspect there are a few tests that take unnecessarily long as well.

Dan Kortschak

Aug 1, 2017, 12:18:28 AM8/1/17
to Brendan Tracey, gonum-dev
I'll gladly take some of the blame for that in graph.

Brendan Tracey

Aug 1, 2017, 12:22:16 AM8/1/17
to Dan Kortschak, gonum-dev
And me in the stat supbackages.

Sebastien Binet

Aug 10, 2017, 5:37:25 AM8/10/17
to Dan Kortschak, gonu...@googlegroups.com
isn't there a way for travis to still manage the build/ci process but "just" send the commands to be executed to some on-premises "cluster" ?
that way, I could ask for a few build machines on CERN's OpenStack cluster.

Dan