proposed new repo: tools

Dan Kortschak

May 20, 2018, 10:58:16 PM5/20/18
to gonum-dev
A while back I suggested that we generalise some of our static code
checks for banned/deprecated packages. Seb put together some code for
this and incorporated it in a test[1], but it seems to me that this
kind of thing has general utility, so it might be worth providing it as
a linter to the broader community. There may well be other tools that
we'll need so he and I though it might be worth making a tools repo.

Does this sound reasonable to others?

Dan

[1]https://github.com/gonum/gonum/pull/469

Vladimír Chalupecký

May 23, 2018, 10:34:24 AM5/23/18
to gonum-dev
To me it sounds reasonable.

Brendan Tracey

May 24, 2018, 1:20:02 PM5/24/18
to gonum-dev
This sounds reasonable to me as well.

Two checks that would be nice:
1) Checking that every file has a copyright header at the top
2) Checking that there aren't any outside imports for gonum.org/v1/gonum aside from the standard library and golang.org/x imports. It would be nice to have a check that we don't add extra outside dependencies.

Sebastien Binet

Sebastien Binet

Jun 1, 2018, 3:52:57 AM6/1/18
to Dan Kortschak, gonum-dev
it seems everybody is in violent agreement.

could somebody create that repo? (I don't have enough karma to do that myself.)

-s

Dan Kortschak

Jun 1, 2018, 4:48:23 AM6/1/18
to Sebastien Binet, gonum-dev