Units for User Formula

Mel Harbour

May 21, 2016, 11:43:04 AM5/21/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi,

I'm using GC to track rowing, and one thing I'm interested in is whether it's possible to get finer control over the units that are displayed for User Formulae on the Ride screen. Rowers normally use split time per 500m (i.e. pace) rather than speed to track their performance, so I've put in a custom formula to translate one into the other on the Ride screen's graphs. At the moment this displays the results in seconds (so two minutes is displayed as 120, obviously). Is there any way to change the display units so that it would display it as minutes:seconds like pace is normally displayed?

Thanks,

Mel

Mark Liversedge

May 21, 2016, 11:52:54 AM5/21/16
to golden-cheetah-users
On Saturday, 21 May 2016 16:43:04 UTC+1, Mel Harbour wrote:
Hi,

I'm using GC to track rowing, and one thing I'm interested in is whether it's possible to get finer control over the units that are displayed for User Formulae on the Ride screen. Rowers normally use split time per 500m (i.e. pace) rather than speed to track their performance, so I've put in a custom formula to translate one into the other on the Ride screen's graphs. At the moment this displays the results in seconds (so two minutes is displayed as 120, obviously). Is there any way to change the display units so that it would display it as minutes:seconds like pace is normally displayed?

No, it would be ace to be a able to mark the units as time based, will add that.
If you create a user metric in v4 you can set the value to be time based, so that should work for this.

As a former (rubbish) bow-sider I'm keen to add any functions that you might find useful in rowing...

What sort of stuff might help?

Mark

Mel Harbour

May 21, 2016, 3:27:16 PM5/21/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks for getting back to us so quickly. Will look forward to version 4!

We'll have a think about useful features. Rowing's (as you may be aware) generally quite a bit behind cycling etc in terms of data analysis, so it's interesting seeing what we can translate across! I may tag my wife in as she's mainly the sculler in our household!

Mel

Mark Liversedge

May 21, 2016, 4:01:10 PM5/21/16
to golden-cheetah-users
On Saturday, 21 May 2016 20:27:16 UTC+1, Mel Harbour wrote:
We'll have a think about useful features. Rowing's (as you may be aware) generally quite a bit behind cycling etc in terms of data analysis, so it's interesting seeing what we can translate across! I may tag my wife in as she's mainly the sculler in our household!

I notice that the latest headunit for the C2 will let you download data. I have an ancient C2 without this, but if you can get me some files we can look at importing them ?

Or have you found a way of getting them in already ?

Mark

Mel Harbour

May 23, 2016, 6:39:07 AM5/23/16
to golden-cheetah-users
We actually use a SpeedCoach GPS (http://www.nkhome.com/rowing-sports-products/rowing-performance/speedcoach-gps-model-2), which we import straight into GC (just have to change the activity from 'Bike' into 'Scull').

We also use a Rowperfect, rather than a Concept2 for land training, for which the software is having a little bit of trouble at the moment. Working with the developers on that, and can give you a shout when they're sorted.

Mel

Mel Harbour

Jul 11, 2016, 5:26:43 AM7/11/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Ok, we now have the software working properly again. The Rowperfect software exports in either JSON or CSV format. I've put an example of the CSV file here:

Obviously it spits out a whole host of information, and any that could be imported as data series into GC would be great. Note that the 'pulse' column is always zero in that file, but normally contains heart rate (no heart rate monitor on during that session!). I think the most important columns to be able to see and work with are (roughly in order of importance):

power
stroke_rate
distance_per_stroke (and hence speed)
pulse
stroke_length
peak_force_pos
peak_force
drive_time
recover_time

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know - happy to pitch in. I haven't done C++ for a while though, so may be a bit rusty!

Mel

Mark Liversedge

Jul 11, 2016, 5:39:35 AM7/11/16
to golden-cheetah-users
On Monday, 11 July 2016 10:26:43 UTC+1, Mel Harbour wrote:
Ok, we now have the software working properly again. The Rowperfect software exports in either JSON or CSV format. I've put an example of the CSV file here:

Obviously it spits out a whole host of information, and any that could be imported as data series into GC would be great. Note that the 'pulse' column is always zero in that file, but normally contains heart rate (no heart rate monitor on during that session!). I think the most important columns to be able to see and work with are (roughly in order of importance):

power
stroke_rate
distance_per_stroke (and hence speed)
pulse
stroke_length
peak_force_pos
peak_force
drive_time
recover_time

This is exactly what the new XDATA was developed for. I also note the data is recorded with each stroke and not a periodic samplerate.
I think the data could be stored in standard fields (power, distance, time) and additionally as a wholly new XDATA series 'ROWING'.

Will look at this next weekend.

What are the kind of metrics you will want to extract ?

Mark

Mel Harbour

Jul 11, 2016, 8:13:19 AM7/11/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Yeah, was reading your posts about XDATA etc, and assumed that was a good fit.

Data is sampled per stroke (and that's actually true of the data from the SpeedCoach in the boat as well - it seems to import fine, but obviously gives slightly funky information if you sit still for a bit, as it can show a complete pause in all data streams.

Not sure on the sort of metrics we'd want to extract - it's a bit of a new world for us doing this level of analysis on it. I've looked at data for small samples before, but not looking at it in full detail.

Mel

Mark Liversedge

Jul 19, 2016, 8:32:15 AM7/19/16
[...]

I'm just about to update the CSV reader to support RP3.
Is the format of the file configurable or does it always spit out the same columns?

Need to make sure I write the importer in a generic enough ...

Thanks

Mark

Mel Harbour

Jul 19, 2016, 8:42:09 AM7/19/16
to golden-cheetah-users
There's no option to configure it, so we're kind of at the mercy of their devs, but I'd assume it's not going to change at least short term.

Mel