How does GC calculate ones Estimated VO2 Max?

Gene Raphaelian

Aug 30, 2016, 1:50:45 PM8/30/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Sorry if there is a better forum in which to ask this question.

gene r

Mark Liversedge

Aug 30, 2016, 3:31:54 PM8/30/16
to golden-cheetah-users
It uses: 10.8 * 5min power + 7

The code doesn't provide a reference for that calculation, so will need to dig it out.

Mark

Ale Martinez

Aug 30, 2016, 4:32:52 PM8/30/16
to golden-cheetah-users
AFAIK the formula is from ACSM: https://certification.acsm.org/metabolic-calcs, there is a mention to it in the description tooltip.

Gene Raphaelian

Sep 1, 2016, 1:14:54 PM9/1/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks for the quick reply, and my apologies if I'm missing something here Mark.

So if my 5 minute power is 345 then my vo2 max is...

10.8 * 347 + 7 = 3,754

Wow! Bring on Froomie because I'm going to crush him ;-)

gene r

Randolph Baral

Sep 1, 2016, 7:01:18 PM9/1/16
to golden-cheetah-users
.....then divide by your weight in kg (I think!).

Ale Martinez

Sep 1, 2016, 7:21:12 PM9/1/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Actually the formula is based on watts/kg, not absolute power, the 7 already are ml/kg/min.
That's the way GC uses it.

Gene Raphaelian

Sep 1, 2016, 7:40:15 PM9/1/16
to golden-cheetah-users
That works. Thanks.

gene r

Henrik N

Feb 21, 2018, 6:31:27 AM2/21/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Did an FTP test and Garmin reported a much high Vo2Max value. Now I understand why the GC is low even though I got a new PR on my FTP.

Will add change request to GC that the there is as a tooltip on the Estimated Vo2Max header (e.g. in Trend -> Summary tab)  that explains this.

Regards
Hn