Fix elevation for multiple activities

Casual_Rider

May 28, 2017, 3:40:54 AM5/28/17
to golden-cheetah-users
I am a very new user and apologies if I am missing something obvious but...

Is there a way to automatically "fix elevation errors" or "fix gaps in recordings" etc. for multiple activities.
I have just imported several (past) activities and would like to avoid having to fix each of them individually.

Thanks in advance,
L.

PS: the software looks impressive, thanks for putting it out, but finding information on the various tools/metrics is not that obvious, I must say :)

Mark Liversedge

May 28, 2017, 4:02:42 AM5/28/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Have you looked at the tutorials on the website or the wiki ?

Casual_Rider

May 28, 2017, 6:08:51 AM5/28/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks for the answer.

I have not thoroughly watched the videos, sorry. There is quite a lot of "wasted" time in them and for me it is much simpler and quicker to read written instructions, if anything because I can easily jump to topics I need.

Having written the above, I read about automatically fixing elevation when importing activities.
I did not find if it is possible to do it "in batch" after sessions have already been imported, though.
At worst I guess I can delete all activities and re-import them.

Thanks again,
L.

Ale Martinez

May 28, 2017, 8:58:40 AM5/28/17
to golden-cheetah-users
You can run data processor for a batch of existing activities using filters:

DATA PROCESSOR FUNCTIONS
autoprocess(filter)
postprocess(processor, filter)

The first will run the filters configured as automatic/on-import and the second the specified filter on the activities matching the filter parameter.

Nigel Van de Velde

May 31, 2017, 2:39:00 PM5/31/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Ale,

Can we find extra info on how to use these postprocess functions. Can't find it on the wiki or via google.

Kind regards,

Nigel

Ale Martinez

May 31, 2017, 3:34:32 PM5/31/17
to golden-cheetah-users

autofilter is easy to use: you can test the filter part in the search/filter box at the toolbar in Analysis view until it selects exactly the activities you want and then put that filter inside the autofilter function to run the filters configured as run on import on that activities.
dataprocess is similar but the filter must be specified as string constant using the english name for the filter, s.t. "Fix Elevation errors", no translation, sorry.

Nigel Van de Velde

May 31, 2017, 5:54:15 PM5/31/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Ah, I was looking in the wrong section on the wiki (Filters)...

So easy, works great!

Thanks!

Yuri Sá

Jun 9, 2017, 10:34:49 AM6/9/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks! That helped me a lot too!
Although just a Shift + click or CTRL + Click  "standard" would be much easier...

Jean Div

Jun 12, 2017, 3:36:31 AM6/12/17
to golden-cheetah-users
First time I'm reading all the expression definitions.. I'm sure its been there for a while, but useful, nonetheless.

I could use some help with the syntax of my auto-filter/post-process function for elevation. I live at the coast, but not the Netherlands so the lowest my altitude goes is zero. 9 months ago, my new replacement Garmin head unit came and it reads about -40m below what it should. This makes the nice clean GC altitude bars look wonky when they drop below zero. The 'auto-correct altitude' GC function takes a while, plus I prefer to use my own generated values.. but with an offset to correct. I use Garmin the 'auto-correct' function, which works when I commute in from home (picks up my GPS location, applies the offset at the start of the ride).. but when I commute home from work, it does not do the same.. so its not as easy as just applying '-40' to all altitude values after a set date. Also, any other ride not done from home is obviously off.

Here is the logic of what I'd like to apply..

Filter: All bike rides after X date
Process: IF(ride MINIMUM ALTITUDE <0, add '0-ride MINIMUM ALTITUDE' to all altitude values in that ride, otherwise leave alone).

I think I can figure out the filter part, but can anyone give me some advice on the process syntax?

Looking at this post (https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/golden-cheetah-users/orBY1d3LKlU), I can't quite make out how I would get this done. It's not as simple as just a blank sport type.

Will definitely be making a back-up before I try this!

Ta,
Jean

Ale Martinez

Jun 12, 2017, 8:56:01 AM6/12/17
to golden-cheetah-users
El lunes, 12 de junio de 2017, 4:36:31 (UTC-3), Jean Div escribió:
[...]

Using set/unset in expressions allows to change METADATA just like using the Details tab, to change DATA the supported ways are to use the Editor or to invoke builtin Data Processors (those at the Edit menu), currently there is no way to do this via expressions.

Have you tried to calibrate your Garmin's Altimeter to your known starting altitude?

Jean Div

Jun 14, 2017, 9:16:43 AM6/14/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Have you tried to calibrate your Garmin's Altimeter to your known starting altitude?

Hey Ale

Yeah, I did try and the only difference that I noted was that when I start from home (where I calibrated), as I push the start button the Garmin says 'elevated calibrated to known location'.. and that file is fine. The trouble is when I then start from a different location, e.g.

Commute to work from home

Commute home from work

Perhaps it is a different feature that I have found and not the calibration you're speaking of (I have a Edge 520). I'll check again tonight and report back.

Ta,
Jean

Ale Martinez

Jun 14, 2017, 9:30:42 AM6/14/17
to golden-cheetah-users
El miércoles, 14 de junio de 2017, 10:16:43 (UTC-3), Jean Div escribió:
Have you tried to calibrate your Garmin's Altimeter to your known starting altitude?

Hey Ale

Yeah, I did try and the only difference that I noted was that when I start from home (where I calibrated), as I push the start button the Garmin says 'elevated calibrated to known location'.. and that file is fine. The trouble is when I then start from a different location, e.g.
You can set elevation for different start locations: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge520/EN-US/GUID-8BD32AC3-4779-4BA1-B717-ABEEBC7E0145.html, I think this feature goes back to Garmin 500

Jean Div

Jun 16, 2017, 10:49:58 AM6/16/17
to golden-cheetah-users

You can set elevation for different start locations: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge520/EN-US/GUID-8BD32AC3-4779-4BA1-B717-ABEEBC7E0145.html, I think this feature goes back to Garmin 500

Thanks Ale.

Yeah, I did this in leaving work after I typed my last message.. went outside and found the setting. A little bit annoying from Garmin that they don't have an offset, so currently every ride that I have not from home or work will have the problem, or I have to manually change every new location at the start of a bike ride. Clunky Garmin!  Anyways, this is not a Garmin forum for moaning :-)

I had made a suggestion in this post: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/golden-cheetah-users/i_Z0FPQBHao to have an option for a very basic correction on import into GC, as well as another to correct the slow 'creeping' offset as the air warms up for barometric head units. Reckon its got any legs Ale..?

Ale Martinez

Jun 16, 2017, 2:03:47 PM6/16/17
to golden-cheetah-users
No from me since where I live altitude is not an issue, but others may pick it up or, if you want to give it a try, see https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/blob/master/src/FileIO/FixTorque.cpp as a model