Start training after a "forced stop"

Abraham Aliko Benítez

Oct 9, 2017, 2:49:56 PM10/9/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi evryone,

I was more or less in shape after almost 2,5 months of good training (July-August-beggining September), maybe with some mistakes in planning but I felt in good shape. But I have been almost a month with any training session, due to work responsabilities. I want to start again now, but I have doubst about what to do. Mainly, because it is recommended to stop at the middle of November to do like a off-season period (transition time) to start with a structured training in December for a new season. My doubt is that if I start now the season, it could be very long when I am in January-February next year. On the other hand, I would like to regain some shape, but maybe if I add intensity like I was doing at the beginning of September, it could be counter-productive too...

Any suggestion about what to do now to start training again?

TJDunnigan

Oct 9, 2017, 7:01:19 PM10/9/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Train for what? Road racing? Crits? Club ride hammering? Grand Fondos?

Abraham Aliko Benítez

Oct 10, 2017, 2:37:53 PM10/10/17
to golden-cheetah-users
You are absolutely right... I like to train just to improve my fitness more that for a specific training event... normally, I race 5-6 MTB Marathon races during the year, and in summer I could go for a sportive and do more long road rides..

So the season could be something like:

Since end March to end May: 2-4 XCM (MTB Marathon)

Summer: 1 o 2 Gran Fondo, and several long road rides with friends

September - Octobber: 2-3 XCM

TJDunnigan

Oct 11, 2017, 6:34:17 PM10/11/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Abraham,

I don't see a need for you to do an off-season period. Like many non-racers, normal life will provide you with adequate breaks, e.g. holidays, vacations, work responsibilities. I recommend you focus on building endurance and enjoying your time on the bike and wait to add a lot of intensity until you are two months away from events that will require repeated, hard efforts.