Running Golden Cheetah traning mode + other ANT+ using application simultaneously (e.g Zwift)

Karl-Axel Zander

Jan 6, 2017, 6:22:07 AM1/6/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello!

Started to thinking about this yesterday as an idea of improving my indoor-setup. As a frequent Zwift user, but also lover of GCs analysis environment and now also a fresh GC train mode user, I wondered if I could combine the strenghts of these applications and run them simultaneously for great social experience + a bike computer that display whatever I want it to.

As I think I understood so far an ANT+ Dongle (SUUNTO in my case) got 8 data channels, theoretically(?) able to accomendate my HR-data + Power/Cadence data twice for two ANT+-applications. But multi-application usage for ANT+ Dongles isn't anything that exsits to date - I guess that would be a task to implement for Dongle-creators? (Disclaimer: Im really uncertain about the technicalities, just logical speculating)

I have heard vauge anecdotes about people doing this (for other application combinations) by having an ANT+ Dongle plugged in for each application, and then just firing up each application in any other order and having it working for both(all) of them without any further configuration/hacking. Any one know if this would work, or maybe actually tried a 2-dognle solution for GC+Zwift successfully?

Thanks in advance for input, cheers

/Karl-Axel Zander

Pontus

Jan 7, 2017, 10:38:18 AM1/7/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Karl-Axel,

I too am interested in this, especially since the workout editor in GC is so much better (and of course all analysis post ride but that can be handled by simple import).

Do you want GC or Zwift to control the trainer, I assume GC right? In Zwift you should be able to setup the trainer only for "Power" and leave the "trainer" device blank. Then only GC is setup to control resistance in accordance with you workout. I have not tried this myself yet, but will do so for my next workout.

Another workaround would be to use an Ipad (if you have) for Zwift and your laptop/desktop for GC, assuming you trainer supports bluetooth. HRM data (as most HRMs only have ant+) in Zwift I guess you can live without if you are anyway just doing a workout and you will be tracking HRM in GC.

See you in Sz!

Jon Escombe

Jan 7, 2017, 10:56:47 AM1/7/17
to Karl-Axel Zander, golden-cheetah-users
Hi,

Not a Zwift user so couldn't comment on that, but do sometimes use two
ANT+ dongles on a laptop during development & testing (one for GC and
one for Garmin SimulANT).

So, this approach can work, but will be dependent on how the apps try to
enumerate/open the devices if more than one is present (or whether you
can force them to a specific device).

Off the top of my head I couldn't even say whether GC will attempt to
open more than the first device it finds if already in use. However, if
it doesn't, then that's probably easily fixable.

Regards,
Jon

Pontus

Jan 8, 2017, 2:06:28 AM1/8/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Update: Setting up the trainer only as a power-device in Zwift and then running a workout in GC controlling the trainer works just fine.

Karl-Axel Zander

Jan 9, 2017, 7:48:30 AM1/9/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks for the input guys

My setup is a dumb trainer and a crank power meter, so my situation maybe isnt compareable with yours Pontus. It would be like if i tried to pair my HR monitor in Zwift only, and power meter in GC, I guess that would work then with a single(?) dongle then according to your test. So my situation is to make clear that i want to use the same Ant+ sensor from multiple applications.

Going to order a additonal dongle today and give it go, will return with the result. My conclusion is that in least in theory, it should work

For the reference my specific use of GC train mode while on Zwift is monitoring average metrics, TSS, W' Balance etc, and also as a "backup traning computer" on days when Zwift/internet connection crashes by some reason, so you can continue your workout without pausing the workout

Karl-Axel Zander

Jan 17, 2017, 11:25:39 AM1/17/17
to golden-cheetah-users
FYI:

Tried this today after getting hands on a second ANT+ Dongle (i.e now using 2x Suunto's). Starting Zwift first and then GC Train mode didn't work (didn't find my sensors in GC), but did get it to work the other way around (GC first, then Zwift)! I guess in my first case it could be explained by the both apps (sadly) trying to use the same dongle or something, but happy that it did work anyway without any further hassling

cheers

Jon Escombe

Jan 17, 2017, 5:53:01 PM1/17/17
to Karl-Axel Zander, golden-cheetah-users
Looking at the code, GC tries to iterate over multiple dongles until it
can open one, but I'm not convinced this is fully working as it should.

Good to hear it just works when running Zwift second though! Thanks for
following up with your results..

Regards,
Jon