how to use Remote Controls with the trainer

Gui Terro

Dec 8, 2016, 7:57:50 AM12/8/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Dear All,

I diiscovered a possibility to control the trainer with some "remote controls" (keys ?)
I've been busy looking for an answer on the GC help.
I drop an image for you to understand my request.

Once the actions have been selected in the option menu, how do we use these actions during a training session.
I suppose Start is for starting the training session, then is it "usable" trough a computer keyboard key or trainer keypad (see attached image)
Thank you
Gui
Options_Training_Remote Controls2.png
trainer pad.jpg

Jon Escombe

Jan 16, 2017, 4:27:47 PM1/16/17
to Gui Terro, golden-cheetah-users
Hi Gui,

Apologies, there is not much documentation for that feature yet! It is
designed to allow control of the trainer session using an ANT+ Remote
Control (just add a Remote Control sensor type in the pairing dialog).

There are a couple of hardware devices in this category, most notably
the "O-Synce ANT+ remote".
http://www.o-synce.com/en/products/wireless-remote-control/ant-remote.html

Also, I wrote a basic Android application for phones with ANT+ support
at the same time (as I don't have a hardware remote), but have just
realised I never put it anywhere public!

I've uploaded an initial release to github tonight, whith a binary of
the .apk file. The application doesn't need any special permissions, and
supports Android 4.4 (KitKat) onwards. I'll look to get it onto the Play
store as well..

https://github.com/dresco/ANTRemote

Hope someone finds this useful, would be keen for feedback if anyone
tries it out..

Regards,
Jon.
ANTRemote.png

Gui Terro

Jan 19, 2017, 2:34:26 AM1/19/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Dear Jone,

Thank you for your answer.
I will have a look, I'm not familiar with Android apps.

I thought the remote control option from GC could understand any Tacx trainer pad ANT action (on Windows platform).

Regards,
Gui

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 13:57:50 UTC+1, Gui Terro wrote:
Dear All,

I discovered a possibility to control the trainer with some "remote controls" (keys ?)

Will

Oct 21, 2018, 4:19:23 PM10/21/18
to golden-cheetah-users
I can't seem to get this feature to work with the Garmin Edge Ant+ Remote.  I can't seem to get it to pair, at first -- if you add a remote to the pairing list, it auto-loads a device ID (it doesn't bother searching for a remote).  So I went into the config file and entered the correct device ID for my remote, but it still doesn't seem to connect to that remote.  Perhaps that specific remote is not supported?

Thanks,
Will

pepe lisbon

Oct 22, 2018, 2:17:52 AM10/22/18
to golden-cheetah-users
I tried also Garmin Edge Ant+ Remote with Golden Cheetah DEV1810 with no luck. Tried with IpBike android app and pairs fine and works fine, but with every time i do the pairing, it assumes a new (different) device ID

Jon Escombe

Oct 22, 2018, 12:13:53 PM10/22/18
to Will, golden-cheetah-users
Hi Will,

Compared with sensors, the master/slave pairing is performed in the
opposite direction for the remote control ANT profile. It's GC that
broadcasts as the master at 4Hz, and the remote is the slave device that
is listening for something to control.

So the device ID that's (randomly) generated from the pairing dialog is
the "controllable device" - i.e. GC, not the remote control.

As to why it doesn't work, I've not got access to a Garmin Edge Remote
to test with, but would like to try and see what's happening from your logs.

Perhaps also worth just verifying that the "Remote Controls" option tab
has what looks like sensible mappings for the supported commands?

Regards,
Jon

Will Schupp

Oct 22, 2018, 1:24:02 PM10/22/18
to Jon Escombe, golden-cheetah-users
Hey Jon,

That makes sense -- let me play with it some more and I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Will

Will

Oct 23, 2018, 1:30:24 PM10/23/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Okay, I got it to work. In the end, it is pretty simple. You just need to hold any 2 buttons for a few seconds to start the pairing process every time you start the ant+ in train view, which takes no time, then it works great!

Thanks for adding this Jon.

Will

pepe lisbon

Oct 24, 2018, 2:46:15 PM10/24/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Great, its working . Lap button works great,  Increase decrease intensity also.
But cannot assign the Start Stop to the Blue Button (Start to ant generic_start, and Stop to ant_menu_stop) in Garmin Edge Ant+ Remote

BTW, if i map Start to ant generic_menu_up, and Stop to ant_generic_menu_down, Start Stop will work

Thanks

pepe lisbon

Oct 24, 2018, 8:25:13 PM10/24/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Sort it out by assigning action Start Stop to  Ant + command ant_generic_user_1

Everything great

Thanks Jon and Will

Pepe

Frank Muennemann

Nov 23, 2018, 1:10:56 PM11/23/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Any chance we could assign a USB keyboard key to perform the same functions? I suppose it ought to be possible to create a virtual ANT device, but it ought to be much simpler to assign function keys. Wireless keyboards and mini-keyboards are much more available than ANT+ remote devices.

If it were possible to add one more layer to the remote-devices interface, and assign a keyboard key to the various ANT functions, it wouldn't even take much of a user interface. That is, make particular USB keys emulate the ANT+ remote buttons.

Thanks,
---
Frank

Claus Assmann (please do not Cc me)

Nov 23, 2018, 2:07:14 PM11/23/18
to Frank Muennemann, golden-cheetah-users
On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, Frank Muennemann wrote:
> Any chance we could assign a USB keyboard key to perform the same
> functions? I suppose it ought to be possible to create a virtual ANT

See the thread
Top 4 ways Training Mode could be Improved

Here's one of my mails:
BTW: there are more "Media" keys mapped in training mode, so
if your keyboard has those keys (mine doesn't), you could
give them a try (extracted from the source code):

QIcon connectButtonIcon(":images/oxygen/power-off.png");
m_connectButton = new QPushButton(connectButtonIcon, "", this);
m_connectButton->setShortcut(Qt::Key_MediaPrevious);

QIcon rewIcon(":images/oxygen/rewind.png");
m_rewindButton = new QPushButton(rewIcon, "", this);
m_rewindButton->setShortcut(Qt::Key_MediaPrevious);

QIcon stopIcon(":images/oxygen/stop.png");
m_stopButton = new QPushButton(stopIcon, "", this);
m_stopButton->setShortcut(Qt::Key_MediaStop);

QIcon fwdIcon(":images/oxygen/ffwd.png");
m_forwardButton = new QPushButton(fwdIcon, "", this);
m_forwardButton->setShortcut(Qt::Key_MediaNext);

QIcon lapIcon(":images/oxygen/lap.png");
m_lapButton = new QPushButton(lapIcon, "", this);
m_lapButton->setShortcut(Qt::Key_0);

QIcon calIcon(":images/oxygen/cal.png");
cal = new QPushButton(calIcon, "", this);
cal->setShortcut(Qt::Key_C);

QIcon upIcon(":images/oxygen/up.png");
loadUp = new QPushButton(upIcon, "", this);
loadUp->setShortcut(Qt::Key_Plus);

QIcon downIcon(":images/oxygen/down.png");
loadDown = new QPushButton(downIcon, "", this);
loadDown->setShortcut(Qt::Key_Minus);

Dan Vei

Mar 14, 2020, 5:45:15 PM3/14/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello everybody,

Did someone find the way to pair the Tacx T2022 remote control with GC ?
Controlling from the PC keyboard is not very convenient...
I train with a Tacx Genius Smart and I am trying to drop the TTS4 before it drops me...

Thank you,

Daniel

Dan Vei

Mar 15, 2020, 9:48:21 AM3/15/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello,
I also have a Tacx T2022 remote. Did you find a way to pair it with GC ?

Thank you,
Daniel

Dan Vei

Mar 19, 2020, 4:02:26 PM3/19/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello Jone,

I have a Tacx T2022 remote and I am trying since several days to pair it with Golden Cheetah but no success. Up to now, I have been using it with TTS4 and no problem.
Any advice ?

Thank you,
Daniel

Peret

Nov 4, 2020, 1:39:40 PM11/4/20
to golden-cheetah-users
I have given a chance to mobile apps that remotely control a PC. Some of them work really fine and have a free version very complete. I have finally installed 'Unified Remote' in my android phone, and suits very well for GC, as it can move the mouse. So, enough for training

Ale Martinez

Nov 5, 2020, 8:06:03 AM11/5/20
to golden-cheetah-users
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 3:39:40 PM UTC-3, Peret wrote:
I have given a chance to mobile apps that remotely control a PC. Some of them work really fine and have a free version very complete. I have finally installed 'Unified Remote' in my android phone, and suits very well for GC, as it can move the mouse. So, enough for training

That’s an interesting finding, thanks for sharing, I think we should add it to FAQs

Peret

Nov 5, 2020, 9:59:56 AM11/5/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Sure, let me know if you want me to add info or whatever.

Ale Martinez

Nov 5, 2020, 10:42:03 AM11/5/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks, for now I generalized the entry about ANT+ remote controls with a note using the information you contributed: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/wiki/FAQ-TRAIN#how-can-i-have-remote-control-of-the-train-session, the wiki is open to users' contributions, BTW.

marco...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2020, 12:49:59 PM11/5/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi,

We need install a 'Unified Remote' server in the PC also.
Any security concerns?

Tks,

Peret

Nov 6, 2020, 5:01:38 AM11/6/20
to golden-cheetah-users
You need to install a server on the PC, of course, as you need to connect the mobile to 'something' listening on the PC. It is a process that also opens a web page to manage it.
I do not think any other remote control can connect without installing a piece of software on the PC, as it is not a 'native' piece of the kernel, as far as I know. I have installed it on Ubuntu 20.10, and working really fine.

Regarding security, it is a question of confidence. If you are not afraid to install an app in the mobile, you should neither be on the PC if it is the same developer and utility, I think.
I think they are not in the software stores of the operating systems, but maybe there are some.

marco...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2020, 10:46:26 AM11/6/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Wouldn't a wireless mouse do the same?
Just trying to understand the need for this. Not to mention that while training you take several risks in handling your phone.

Tks.

Eric Christoffersen

Nov 6, 2020, 11:18:24 AM11/6/20
to golden-cheetah-users
The question of trust for a general pc remote: its not the question of whether a developer is trying to be malicious, but of whether opening your pc to control by a cell phone can be done securely. Fundamentally for any change to machine access that I make to allow access by a trusted app - I must somehow assure myself than an untrusted app can't also make use of that new access.

marco...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2020, 3:12:14 PM11/6/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Exactly.

Peret

Nov 7, 2020, 5:43:46 AM11/7/20
to golden-cheetah-users
Technically, you are not opening or creating any special access. You are only running a process in background on your PC.Tthat proocess is listening on a port. That's all. There maybe dozens of processes doing the same job. As long as that process only listens for a specific (not standard) communications protocol, I do not see any chance to do any danger (intentionally). No more dangerous than, for example telnet, ftp, web pages,... Bear in mind that the port can only be reached from your internal network, it will not be accessible from outside, unless through VPNs, for example, but that implies you have previously configured to LAN to be accessible under securiity conditions. Because I do not thing you have a DMZ in you network (all ports opened for remote access, jaja).
You can even add some kind of passwod security, I saw something in the settings. Not high security, but fairly enough if you are concerned.
In short: it is much more dangerous to have FTP or Telnet ports opened (and you will probably will) as they are well know standard ports.

And yes, a wireless mouse can do the same job. If it suits better, that's fine. I personally prefer a mobile app, as you wear it usually, no need to care about mouse battteries, distance, usb dongle on the pc,... and also, it allows extended functionality: writing, sending special commands... and I am pretty sure (I have not iinvestigated further) it will allow to run scripts or customizations.

Dan Vei

Nov 10, 2020, 3:06:46 PM11/10/20
to golden-cheetah-users
What do you think of the idea to use the Tacx T2022 handlebar remote ?

fredcos...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2021, 2:49:56 PM3/25/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi,
Thanks for the remote. I ride on both types of trainers (smart Tacx but also on old-school rollers). My laptop is far away making it hard (and dangerous, since the bike is not held steady by the roller) to reach the keyboard. I have this old android phone around that happens to be ANT+ native.
The remote is flawless and will be very helpful on my next sessions.
Best,
Fred

fredcos...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2021, 2:54:49 PM3/25/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Oh, I forgot, as an added bonus I can hide the controls on my screen, saving some space (which is great because I have video overlays and can keep all bars off screen for a full immersive movie :)
Thanks, best!

Thomas Kempka

Mar 31, 2021, 2:03:35 PM3/31/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Dear Jon,

Thanks for coding antremote. Unfortunately, the apk - which I did not find in your github repository, but on pureapk only - is crashing at start time on Android 10.

I have invested some (minor) efforts to compile your code using gradle, but finally gave up due to gradle and java version mismatches, which I was not able to overcome without major time investments.

Will antremote generally work on newer Android versions? Would it be possible to provide building instructions for newer gradle/java version or an apk file that works with Android 10?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Thomas

Peret

Apr 1, 2021, 4:06:00 AM4/1/21
to golden-cheetah-users
You can get the apk from the repository: https://github.com/dresco/ANTRemote/releases/tag/v1.0
I do not know if it works on Android 10

Thomas Kempka

Apr 1, 2021, 4:20:59 AM4/1/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Many thanks for your kind hint, Peret. I wonder why I did not get the idea to check the github tags for releases, before. Anyway, it appears to be the same version which is available at apkpure, crashing at startup with Android 10.

Meanwhile (acceptance of my first post in this mailing list took a while), I have acquired the OSYNCE ANT+ remote control, which works just fine with the January 2021 3.6 build. I am able to start, pause (not to stop, yet, but it does not matter for me), set laps, increase and decrease the intensity with it. Summary: the remote control challenge is completed for me.

Cheers, Thomas

g.t...@voila.fr

Jan 18, 2024, 9:23:20 AMJan 18
to golden-cheetah-users
Dear Dan,

Unfortunately, I did not find a way to pair Tacx T022 remote.
Any news ?
Thank you
Gui

Ale Martinez

Jan 18, 2024, 11:07:21 AMJan 18
to golden-cheetah-users
El jueves, 18 de enero de 2024 a la(s) 11:23:20 a.m. UTC-3, g.t...@voila.fr escribió:
Unfortunately, I did not find a way to pair Tacx T022 remote.

There is no way out of the box, the T2022 is not a standard ANT+ remote control but a TACX proprietary one, see https://github.com/totalreverse/ttyT1941/issues/5

g.t...@voila.fr

Jan 18, 2024, 11:49:01 AMJan 18
to golden-cheetah-users