Joule GPS 2.0 corrupted device descriptors

Dimitris

Jul 22, 2016, 8:54:58 AM7/22/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello,

I have the Cyclops Joule 2.0 GPS, a device for logging my bicycle rides. The device has probably a serial output and uses the FTDI drivers to connect via usb to my pc. The device used to work fine in Windows 7 and Windows 8, but I could not make it work under Fedora.
For that reason, I installed manually the FTDI drivers shown here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm and used some sort of read/write commands packaged with the drivers (found in the EEPROM folder) to see if I can connect to my device. I could perform a read and get information of the device like manufacturer, model, deviceId, etc. This was also obvious after running
dmesg | grep ftdi

I then used some write commands as well (also coming with ftdi drivers) but the device would not respond. I believe this was the beginning of my problems...

Anyhow, I thought then to install another distro and give it a try. In Mint Cinnamon the device was not even appearing under ttyUSB0 and dmesg is not giving any ftdi_sio - related information. Instead I get:

[11949.240838] usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
[11949.312811] usb 2-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[11949.488785] usb 2-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[11949.664796] usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 10 using ehci-pci
[11949.736783] usb 2-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[11949.912772] usb 2-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[11950.088754] usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 11 using ehci-pci
[11950.496727] usb 2-1.4: device not accepting address 11, error -32
[11950.568717] usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-pci
[11950.976697] usb 2-1.4: device not accepting address 12, error -32
[11950.976919] usb 2-1-port4: unable to enumerate USB device

I switched once again to my Windows PCs and now it's impossible to connect the device either (where it used to work). The device appears as an unknown device and I can get no descriptors. I somehow feel that due to this write operation I did with the FTDI drivers I messed up my device's descriptors. Any diagnostics coming through your head? Ideas?

I run
Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit (3.0.7)
Kernel: 4.4.0-31-generic

Thanks & regards

Theo Markou

Jul 22, 2016, 11:03:35 PM7/22/16
to golden-cheetah-users
I ran into a similar issue a few months ago and it sounds like you may need to clear the ride history in Cyclops' PowerAgent software instead of using GC and then reset the device using the AC button on the back. The Joule leaves some old ride data in memory for the sake of the history function and it seems to me that a corrupt ride can prevent the unit from connecting in GC.

Dimitris

Jul 23, 2016, 12:35:31 PM7/23/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Theo,

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it doesn't work. I believe I have a more serious issue than the typical problem of Windows not recognizing the device. I think I have somehow destroyed my devices USB descriptors. I updated to Windows 10 and I get a more informative message in task manager

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request
for the USB device descriptor failed.