Golden Cheetah with Garmin Connect

Abraham Aliko Benítez

Nov 2, 2017, 12:16:38 PM11/2/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi,

I'd like to upload my training from Golden Cheetan to Garmin Connect. This is mainly when I use GC as a controler of my smart turbo-trainer, as GC generates the training file in the program. So this would be the "oposite" way, from GC to Garmin Connect. Can I do this? I know I can do it with Strava, but I didn't see how to do it with Garmin Connect.

Thank you very much!

Mark Liversedge

Nov 2, 2017, 12:28:09 PM11/2/17
to golden-cheetah-users
It is not possible. The Garmin APIs are only available if we pay $5000 to use them.
They explicitly instructed me to avoid using their legacy APIs (in use by tapirik etc).

You can upload/sync with Strava and connect Strava to Garmin to get around this.

Mark

Ale Martinez

Nov 2, 2017, 3:29:21 PM11/2/17
to golden-cheetah-users
If you are willing to manual upload you could export the activity in TCX or FIT format, alternatively if your smart trainer broadcasts power via ANT+ you could record the activity on your Garmin for that purpose.

Todd Pasley

Nov 2, 2017, 4:30:52 PM11/2/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hhmmm? - could GC be coded to transmit virtual power values during Trainer View sessions via the ANT+ stick, which could then be recorded on your ANT+ bike computer? Would this involve using the aforementioned Garmin APIs?

Being a poor man, I'm always looking for a poor man's power meter, especially since my PowerTap PowerCal started falling apart.

Todd Pasley

fs

Dec 19, 2017, 3:45:38 PM12/19/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Mark, how to synchronize Strava with GC?

Mark Liversedge

Dec 19, 2017, 3:48:16 PM12/19/17
to golden-cheetah-users
You will need the 3.5 dev build.

fs

Dec 19, 2017, 3:51:28 PM12/19/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Thank you. Please, excuse the inonvenience. Where can I find 33.5 dev build. Any link or in GC?

Mark Liversedge

Dec 19, 2017, 3:57:19 PM12/19/17
to golden-cheetah-users
its linked from the the goldencheetah website. www.goldencheetah.org.

Juan Cruz Obaid

Dec 21, 2017, 9:31:09 AM12/21/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Is it posible to use a crowdfunding system to raise the money? or are there other legal limitations? Thanks for everithing!

JamesA

Mar 10, 2018, 2:28:09 PM3/10/18
to golden-cheetah-users

I hope this is a good place to post this question ... I experience issues with uploading manual TCX exports to Garmin Connect in both v3.4 and in v3.5-DEV1710 and v3.5-DEV1802_64bit_Windows.exe.  The issue under 3.4 was that activity distance and time would not appear in Garmin Connect requiring me to manually edit that data and then estimated calories would not calculate.

In the two development versions both TCX and FIT format exports produce an error when manually importing to Garmin Connect (which displays: An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.).  I've found that if I remove the <Creator> section of the TCX file, the edited file will upload and be accepted by Garmin Connect.  I am unable to parse the FIT file so am not sure where that error is. (I should also note that I dont usually record activities on Garmin devices - ie activities are recorded on my phone or via Zwift etc so Golden Cheetah becomes a vital step in collecting and processing activity data).

So right now, I would not say Manual upload works 'out of the box'... editing is required.  If there is an alternate workaround for this issue or its a known issue (I did not see the problem identified on the development open issue list) please let me know.

For those opposed to manual uploads, there may be a way to get data to Garmin Connect via Fitnesssyncer (which integrates with Google Drive, Drop Box, Garmin Connect, and others ) They appear to license the full Garmin API and provide they only way I know to export Wellness data from Garmin Connect.  I've used Fitnesssyncer to extract data from Garmin Connect not import data so cannot comment on whether it could be used as a platform to bridge data from Golden Cheetah to Garmin Connect).

Ale Martinez

Mar 10, 2018, 2:54:48 PM3/10/18
to golden-cheetah-users
The TCX issue is a known one, there is a proposed solution pending of confirmation: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/issues/2711

JamesA

Mar 10, 2018, 5:40:00 PM3/10/18
to golden-cheetah-users
OK Thanks!  Its helpful to have that info in this forum... I'd searched https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/golden-cheetah-developers (and via Google generally) and not found a reference, so wasnt aware the issue had been raised.

PS A bit tangential, but I noted in the github discussion stschake's commented on Nov 29, 2017 that <Creator> was added to the Golden Cheetah TCX exports "because Strava reads that to determine if altitude data came from a device with barometer and treats it differently" which is good to know, however, I personally gave up on Strava elevation long ago because I can ride side by side with other riders using ( a multitude of) Garmin head units, iPhones, Androids (my android has a barometer) and all of us will have wildly different elevation gains when the ride is posted to Strava (off by hundreds of feet) so I'd say its a know weakness of Strava.

Ale Martinez

Mar 12, 2018, 2:17:26 PM3/12/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Jörn has fixed this issue in current master, it will be included in the next dev. build