Embedding Python?

Mark Liversedge

Nov 15, 2017, 6:37:56 AM11/15/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi,

I've been playing with ML for a while and struck by the prevalence of Python in this area.
I was thinking of embedding Python in GC so you can work with the data easily.

Is anyone else interested in this?

Mark

* and I still will fix the R versioning issue before we release 3.5

JustinL

Nov 15, 2017, 8:16:42 AM11/15/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Interested +=1

Ale Martinez

Nov 15, 2017, 8:33:33 AM11/15/17
to golden-cheetah-users
I like the idea very much!
I'm in and willing to collaborate.

stsc...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2017, 5:43:57 PM11/15/17
to golden-cheetah-users
No particular opinion on it's application to GC, but I can say from previous experience that integrating CPython is much nicer than R. There is a stable API.

Graphics and plotting could be difficult, not standardized in the runtime or the community.

Mark Liversedge

Nov 16, 2017, 4:05:56 AM11/16/17
to golden-cheetah-users
I was considering either exposing QWT to Python or a simple set of APIs to work with charts.
The second one is more appealling in many ways.

Mark

Mark Liversedge

Nov 16, 2017, 10:59:14 AM11/16/17
to golden-cheetah-users
OK lets do it.

I think there are two major pieces:
1) Embedding Python and Making it available in a chart -- I think the way we embed R can be a template for this.
2) Creating output on a Chart from Python -- I think we should create an API for this around Qt Charts

We can share the load on this -- lets catchup via PM.

Mark

Mark Liversedge

Nov 22, 2017, 5:04:58 PM11/22/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Ale and I have agreed to work on this - it will be in the 3.5 release in January.

If you want to follow along or suggest features that would be useful, the ticket is here: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/issues/2708

Mark

Manuel Oberti

Dec 4, 2017, 5:03:50 AM12/4/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Mark,it will be possible to import a library ( panda,numpy,matplotlib,etc......) how it is currently whit R ?

Mark Liversedge

Dec 4, 2017, 5:17:29 AM12/4/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Yes, that mostly why we are doing this :)

Manuel Oberti

Dec 4, 2017, 9:28:07 AM12/4/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Great.....Thank Mark

Mark Liversedge

Dec 10, 2017, 5:48:19 AM12/10/17
to golden-cheetah-users
The python chart is coming along. We have python embedded and a GC.activity() method to get ride data.
Will be working up charting functions over the next week or so and hope to get a dev build out before Christmas...

Mark