contact developers Golden Chettah

morenola...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2015, 12:16:11 PM3/29/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know how I can to contatct by mail  the owners / developers  of Golden Chettah??
Thank you
Moreno

Claus Assmann

Mar 29, 2015, 12:46:50 PM3/29/15
On Sun, Mar 29, 2015, morenola...@gmail.com wrote:
> *Does anyone know how I can to contatct by mail the owners / developers
> of Golden Chettah??*

How about:
golden-cheet...@googlegroups.com

morenola...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2015, 3:06:15 AM3/31/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Claus. But this is a problem. The email golden-cheetah-developers@googlegroups has an error, because an mail with this address was rejected.
Can you help me?

morenola...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2015, 3:13:05 AM3/31/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
excuse me , I send an email with this address: golden-chett...@googlegroups.com that was rejected

Jan de Visser

Mar 31, 2015, 6:10:51 AM3/31/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Moreno,

The main developers read this list as well. Mark Liversedge is usually quick
to reply, but I think he's been busy at work.

What are your questions/concerns? Golden Cheetah (not Chettah) is a community
supported application, and chances are somebody reading your message will be
able to help you.

golden-cheetah-developers is not/hardly used.

jan

On March 31, 2015 12:13:05 AM morenola...@gmail.com wrote:
> excuse me , I send an email with this address:
> golden-chett...@googlegroups.com that was rejected
>
> Il giorno domenica 29 marzo 2015 18:16:11 UTC+2, morenola...@gmail.com ha
>
> scritto:
> > *Does anyone know how I can to contatct by mail the owners / developers
> >
> > of Golden Chettah??*
> >
> > *Thank you*
> > *Moreno*

morenola...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2015, 6:34:03 AM3/31/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
I have two problems:
 1) When I export from golden ( both version 3.1 and 3.2) to  csv Garmin file   .FIT (vector)  and .TCX  ,  I see when I import them into Excel 2010 a file with columns  different from those that I see the data table in the "modify" menu of gloden screen.   I think that this is a bug in the Golden
2)After failure to  csv export I attemp to copy a data in the table of "modify" menu of gloden screen. When I paste in excel sheet  the result is  lost of structure of data  of many columns.
I need to have a data table correct to import into my  data analysis software to perform calculations and  graphics
I enclose a  excel file with data.
Can you help me?
Moreno
FileGarminExport.xlsx

Jan de Visser

Mar 31, 2015, 7:06:21 AM3/31/15
On March 31, 2015 03:34:03 AM morenola...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have two problems:
> 1) When I export from golden ( both version 3.1 and 3.2) to csv Garmin
> file .FIT (vector) and .TCX , I see when I import them into Excel 2010
> a file with columns different from those that I see the data table in the
> "modify" menu of gloden screen. I think that this is a bug in the Golden
> 2)After failure to csv export I attemp to copy a data in the table of
> "modify" menu of gloden screen. When I paste in excel sheet the result is
> lost of structure of data of many columns.
> I need to have a data table correct to import into my data analysis
> software to perform calculations and graphics
> I enclose a excel file with data.
> Can you help me?
> Moreno

I think you asked these questions before.

1) The .csv export is not a general-purpose CSV export. It is the format used
by powertap and its associated desktop application (the name of which escapes
me at the moment). The choice, by the powertap people, of the CSV name and
extension is unfortunate (as it causes the type of confusion you're
experiencing). But it is what it is.

2) Golden Cheetah provides two general-purpose export formats - XML and .json.
Exporting to a flat csv file would make it impossible to export information tied
to the 'header' of the activity (name, overall duration, averages, etc). Maybe
you can do something with the XML or .json files - I think Excel provides some
APIs to deal with at least XML; I don't know about json, but a javascript shim
is always possible.

3) What information exactly is missing (for your purposes) when you do an
export to CSV?

4) You can always grab the source and hack the CSV export to add the
information you're missing.

jan

morenola...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2015, 8:36:38 AM3/31/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jan , now I understand  part of problem. The xlm.gc export file  is a property file  of golden and excel cant't to import it.
The second problem is that when I copy a data table  visible  in  menu edit ( after 3d menu)  and paste on excel sheet, I have bad results either tcx and .fit  data.
All is visible if you download an excel file that I have enclose .
Can you help me?
Thank you
Moreno
FileGarminExport.xlsx

Jan de Visser

Mar 31, 2015, 12:48:39 PM3/31/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

On March 31, 2015 05:36:38 AM morenola...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can you help me?

I am not sure how you want me to help you. It seems quite obvious that Golden
Cheetah at this point doesn't do what you want it to. I see a number of ways
forward for you:

1) Describe clearly what type of export you require, what should be in the
export, and how other people would benefit from this as well. If you get enough
people interested, somebody may step up and code it for inclusion in 4.0.
There is very little (read: no) chance this will be included in 3.2 I think.

2) Open up the source code yourself, and extend the csv export so that it does
what you want it to.

3) Write, or have somebody write, some code that allows either GC XML files or
JSON files being imported into your Excel spreadsheet.

jan

Jörn R.

Mar 31, 2015, 2:34:19 PM3/31/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Moreno - Jan proposed a valid option 3) . Just did a single Google Search and found:

which nicely converts the GC - JSON File (from /activities) into CSV. Already in the online version.

On you other point "Cut&Paste" from the Edit Menu - I have no clue how you created your XLSX file.
The Cut&Paste does not related to .FIT or .TCX.

Just mark Crtl-A the whole table and paste it Crtl-V to an empty XLSX sheet. I just did that
and it works as expected - no change of data,... (and I know some people do this in 2 directions
to XLS and from XLS to GC e.g. when they want to to special fixes in their data.)

So there are multiple, working ways. Choose.

Joern

morenola...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2015, 4:09:48 AM4/1/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
At first thanks at all.
Then a little example. If I recorded a test with polar unit after I upload a file into polar trainer ( a very easy software). After I click to data table , hightlight it, copy and paste into excel sheet. Fast, easy and precise, no errors. I don't know because garmin create many and important  problems.My interest for garmin is only for Vector ( a good product, one of kind), otherwise I'am not buy garmin product because of these problems. For my job I need of a complete data table ( raw data) and not a some report of it.
The direction of convert json is failure, because I attempt to convert garmin file but the results are the same: errors in many columns ( I enclose a relative file ). The final coclusion is that golden have two bugs in export/copy-paste action. The solution is easy and fast, because to correct these errors must be no time. At least To correct copy/paste errors !!reno
I wolud contact a developers to ask it , and I think that this can be inserted safely in 3.2 version  because it takes a few time. But I  don't know how to contact a developers!
Thanks again at all
Moreno
convertFileGarminJsonGolden.xlsx

Jan de Visser

Apr 1, 2015, 9:21:35 AM4/1/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

You are not making friends this way.

First off, you *are* contacting the developers. Joern is a valuable
contributor, and Mark Liversedge (the project lead) and the other developers
read this list.

Second: it is quite obvious you are not familiar with the ethics of free
software. The main one being that the only ones allowed to call out others are
the ones doing the work, so for you to stamp your feet and demand a "bug" (and
I use that term loosely) being fixed is way out of line, since I don't think
you contributed anything.

Thirdly, I don't think you have much familiar with software development in
general, since claiming it's "easy" to fix a certain problem and, again,
insisting it gets addressed on a timeline convenient to you is not the way it
works.

Finally, you still haven't told us what it is you exactly expect. Joern has
tried copy/pasting from the raw data table to Excel, and says it works. I have
no reason to doubt him. You keep mentioning "errors" without explaining what
exactly these errors are. The excel sheet you attached earlier looks perfectly
fine to me as well. And we indicated to you you couldn't import the JSON
export straight away, it needs transformation before it can be imported.

So, let's try this again: what exactly is it that you require you don't get
right now? How is the excel spreadsheet you attached earlier wrong?

jan

On April 1, 2015 01:09:48 AM morenola...@gmail.com wrote:
> At first thanks at all.
> Then a little example. If I recorded a test with polar unit after I upload
> a file into polar trainer (* a very easy software*). After I click to data

Christian Wiedmann

Apr 1, 2015, 12:20:20 PM4/1/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Jan,

I think you're missing "and how much money are you going to send to the developers to implement this feature?" :)

    -Christian

Chris Cleeland

Apr 1, 2015, 1:54:32 PM4/1/15
to morenola...@gmail.com, golden-cheetah-users
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:09 AM, <morenola...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Do you have a proposed patch to fix the issue?  From what's written above it sounds like your complaint may be as much against Garmin as it is golden cheetah, but it's hard to tell.

I agree with others that the description of the problem is not precise enough for anyone to attempt to fix anything.  A good bug report needs to give developers enough information that the developer can reproduce the problem, and that's especially true for open source software since developers are rarely compensated for their efforts.

--
Chris Cleeland

morenola...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2015, 9:50:17 AM4/2/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, morenola...@gmail.com
First, I apologize if I wrote something offensive but it was not absolutely my intention. My only criticism is against Garmin that provides software that inexplicably does not allow you to export all data that records data. Only the Golden Cheeth allows visulazizzare all recorded data from Garmin and it is for this reason that I really appreciate this software.
My problem is that when I import a file with Golden garmin (.tcx or .fit) and visualize data in table I see that the data is correct. I highlight the data table, I copy and paste on a sheet of excel 2010 and observe numerous errors. For the file .FIT in columns: SPEED, LONGITUDE AND LATITUDE comma is shifted two positions: from 10.645 to 106.45 in almost all cells. The longitude of 10.102 at 101.02 here in all cells. For .tcx the error is on: FC, VEL, LAT and LONG always moving the decimal point two places to the rightI. I'am glad Jorn has managed to paste data correctly on a sheet excel . I wonder what mistake I may have committed.I enclose a file excel where I had the operation copy and paste.
Thank you all.
Moreno
golden.CopyPaste.xlsx

Jörn R.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:31:23 PM4/2/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, morenola...@gmail.com
You need to check how you import into XLS

There is a problem with decimal separator "," vs. "." if you look into your data under VEL, LAT and LONG you will find that it's not shifted by 2 positions (the "." is just the 1000 formatting marker) - but it does not have any decimals at all in the field data. FC and ALT do have the data.

So I recommend to check how Excel does the interpretation of field value w.r.t recognizing "." as the separator. As I can see from you screen-shots GC always provides "." as the decimals separator. So whatever goes wrong has nothing to do with GoldenCheetah, but with the way how "." is interpreted when importing into XLS.

Joern

Chris Cleeland

Apr 2, 2015, 4:50:44 PM4/2/15
to Jörn R., golden-cheetah-users, morenolacquaniti
Good catch, Jorn.  This may be an issue related to localization and use of comma vs. period for various separators.

Moreno, consider setting your localization in Excel to that which would be used by the US or UK and see if the paste works as you expect.  This is also an excellent example of why details are critically important when reporting potential problems.

Chris Cleeland

morenola...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2015, 2:13:28 AM4/3/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, joer...@gmail.com, morenola...@gmail.com
Thanks for the advice. I checked the settings excel and found that using the system (see screen shot setting excel) .I checked the setting of the system and found that it is already set to the "." as the decimal separator. (see screenshot setting system) .What can I do? Joern you kindly send me your settings so I can compare it with my given that you are successfully managed to copy and paste the table data golden Ch.?
thanks again
Moreno
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golden-cheetah-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Chris Cleeland
setting.Excel.png
settingSystem.png

Ale Martinez

Apr 3, 2015, 3:14:46 AM4/3/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Uncheck Utilizza Separatori di sistema and change Separatore decimale to . (dot) and Separatore delle migliala to , (comma) in Excel settings

morenola...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2015, 4:25:07 AM4/6/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
With your advice I managed to solve the problema.Ho changed the setting to ecxel and the error disappeared.
Thank you all for the kindness and availability
Moreno

Mark Liversedge

Apr 8, 2015, 12:28:45 PM4/8/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
I've added the ability to export all data as csv in batch export.
It will be in the next 3.2 development build.

Mark