Golden Cheetah for Android

Keisuke Yamaguchi

Mar 1, 2011, 11:21:38 PM3/1/11
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just had a go with necessitas (Qt for Android) and got latest Golden
Cheetah working on Android Emulator.GC works fine on the emulator
including data import&display, but it takes up too much space on the
screen even with XGA(1024x768) and there are few other issues to be
addressed.
http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/home/

Sony Ericsson recently provided firmware that supports Ant+ for their
Xperia series and I was hoping to find descent cycle computer app for
my Xperia mini. But as far as I know, there is no such app at a moment
and I thought GC could be the choice.

Let me know how you guys think.
keisuke

gc_for_android2.png
GC_Android.diff
gc_for_android3.png

Robb Romans

Mar 1, 2011, 11:43:28 PM3/1/11
to Keisuke Yamaguchi, golden-che...@googlegroups.com

Pure awesomeness. :-)  Keep it up!

robert carlsen

Mar 2, 2011, 12:21:10 AM3/2/11
to Keisuke Yamaguchi, golden-che...@googlegroups.com
That's really nice!
This is another reason for spinning the Real Time module off as a separate component.

Keep us posted, please.
-robert

Mark Liversedge

Mar 2, 2011, 1:36:44 AM3/2/11
to golden-cheetah-users
Wow. Super cool.

Beeda

Mar 2, 2011, 4:23:37 AM3/2/11
to golden-cheetah-users
great :-)
thats was discusion one week ago on CZ_bike forum, my idea is same SE
+ANT+GC, but some doubters sad "newer will work in phone" no CPU
power, no battery capacity, etc...but they can't imagine to technology
progress :-)

d.

On Mar 2, 5:21 am, Keisuke Yamaguchi <keisuke.yamagu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a go with necessitas (Qt for Android) and got latest Golden
> Cheetah working on Android Emulator.GC works fine on the emulator
> including data import&display, but it takes up too much space on the
> screen even with XGA(1024x768) and there are few other issues to be
> addressed.http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/home/
>
> Sony Ericsson recently provided firmware that supports Ant+ for their
> Xperia series and I was hoping to find descent cycle computer app for
> my Xperia mini. But as far as I know, there is no such app at a moment
> and I thought GC could be the choice.
>
> Let me know how you guys think.
> keisuke
>
> gc_for_android2.png
> 238KViewDownload
>
> GC_Android.diff
> 3KViewDownload
>
> gc_for_android3.png
> 312KViewDownload

Jim Thompson

Mar 2, 2011, 4:58:05 AM3/2/11
to Beeda, golden-cheetah-users
CPU power? Modern cell phones have plenty, though a few of the algorithms run internal to GC (such as the one that calculates NP) aren't the type of thing you want to routinely run
on an ARM core, given the constraints of battery life, etc.

Worse, the screens used on 'smartphones' have, to this point, not been the type of thing that I want to (attempt to) view while pedaling on the road. AMOLED (high-end Android) and IPS (iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4th gen) screens are both still unreadable in direct sunlight. The Android-powered Viewsonic v350 announced at MWC is supposed to have a transflective screen, however (it's due to ship in June.)

But mobile phones may well make a great 'recorder' (a la "golden embed") which can feed Golden Cheetah, either at the end of a ride, or during a ride/race (enabling remote display of something like 'real-time' mode.) I tend to call this "Jersey pocket mode", as that is exactly where I think the mobile phone belongs (at least at this stage of its development.)

I think there is a place for being able to drive training plans from a phone, via some combination of 'current data + screen prompts + audio prompts'. I don't know about the rest of the group, but I will occasionally lose track of where I am in an interval sequence. ("Was that #7 or #8?") as I start to tire. Maybe it's just my advanced age and lack of conditioning though.

While it's great that Sony is building a phone with the TI WiLink chipset inside (GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth, ANT+, FM radio), others will follow, and TI has another chip that is about to ship that (also) supports simultaneous Bluetooth and ANT+ (without the obvious co-interference issues). Products using this part are likely to ship by Interbike, I would think. These would enable any Android phone with a suitable copy of MyTracks to act as a recorder via BT connection (though MyTracks has some issues in this regard, it's open source (like Golden Cheetah), so it can be fixed.)

With a bit more work, iOS devices could be similarly supported.

Jim

yama-kei

Mar 2, 2011, 5:51:17 AM3/2/11
to golden-cheetah-users
Here is what I think about Golden Cheetah for Android:

- Ride Analysis should look great on Pad/Tablet devices
-> GC library may be shared with PC via online storage services
-> if device has USB host mode, GC might be able to support direct
data import(?)

- Real Time stuff should go well with Android phones
-> ride with Ant+ devices and you get all information you want to
keep (Jim's "Jersey pocket mode")
-> no more data uploading/import fuss!
-> I believe more hardware companies will have interest in making
android device with originality such as water-proof, screen more
viewable in the sunlight etc and that could be a dream come true for
geeky cyclists like us.

> though a few of the algorithms run internal to GC (such as the one that calculates NP) aren't the type of thing
> you want to routinely run on an ARM core

yup, that's what I thought when I saw GC on Android emulator took
about 30-40 seconds for calculating CP for tiny chunk of data and I
must agree that there are certain kind of task that are suitable for
powerful PCs. But that doesn't necessarily mean that these tasks
shouldn't be done on less-powerful tables/phones :)

> This is another reason for spinning the Real Time module off as a separate component.

I didn't know about this one, but I personally agree with the idea.

Mark Liversedge

Mar 2, 2011, 6:31:45 AM3/2/11
to golden-cheetah-users
I had a brief discussion off list about making Realtime a separate
binary. The reasons behind this were mostly to avoid excessive
dependencies (e.g. phonon, kinetic?), support greater UI flexibility
such as full-screen/mini, transparency, form factors etc.

I now have Native ANT+ working in my private repo and will be tidying
it up and sorting the nastier defects over the weekend to push to the
release_3.0.0dev branch. Once that is done I need to go back to
workout planning functions, so separate builds for GC and Realtime
will not be done in the near future, unless anyone else wants to take
this up.

We will also need to dream up a proper name for "Realtime" ... any
cool ideas?

Cheers,
Mark

Julian

Mar 2, 2011, 8:10:49 AM3/2/11
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Take a page from Apple and give "realtime" some super cool name... like...   "Pulse"  or "Lightening" or "Damn this sh!t's HOT"

;)

Julian

Mar 2, 2011, 8:13:49 AM3/2/11
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
So...  Since GC can be stuffed into Android... could we possibly see an iOS solution?

Also...  Here's a thought...  With Dropbox available on all platforms including iOS and Android, would it be possible to keep everything synched?

Curtis Staples

Apr 6, 2015, 4:46:59 AM4/6/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Has there been an update on a Chrome or Android build?

Jordan Kestler

May 17, 2018, 3:42:02 PM5/17/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Given that it seems like Google may support linux apps on chromebooks, would GC work in an environment like this as is or would it require a new release?

Mark Liversedge

May 18, 2018, 2:53:28 AM5/18/18
to golden-cheetah-users
On Thursday, 17 May 2018 20:42:02 UTC+1, Jordan Kestler wrote:
Given that it seems like Google may support linux apps on chromebooks, would GC work in an environment like this as is or would it require a new release?

Not clear .. although the AppImage might help.
Lets wait and see -- nag me again when we know more as this is something I'd personally love to see.

Mark