Swimming

Ale Martinez

Dec 29, 2014, 10:01:45 AM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Now that we have some support for running I think we are in a good position to add a similar level of support for swimming, the following list is tentative and in no particular order, feel free to add and comment:
  1. Add support for .fit files with swimming data generated by Garmin 910/920xt et al
  2. Add series of intervals to manual workouts with time and distance (since recording devices are less common in pool swimming and lap times/distances are good enough)
  3. Add Swim Zones based on LT swim pace, in metric (min/100m) and imperial (min/100y) units
  4. Add time in Swim Zones metrics
  5. Add Swim metrics SwimScore, Pace and xPace
  6. Add Swim Zones shading and binning to speed Histogram for user defined and polarized zones
  7. Add Swim Zones shading to CPchart and enable models when using speed channel
  8. Add predefined PMC (SwimScore) and CVswim chart
  9. Add a combined score for triathletes training load (SwimScore+BikeScore+GOVSS) and PMC(combined) chart
I plan to start with 3 and 5 since they have no impact on charts, which are being changed now, if someone is willing to collaborate 1 and 2 are where I am less confident.

Mark Liversedge

Dec 29, 2014, 11:07:05 AM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Add Swim to the list of sports in the default metadata config :)
(I will do that now)

Mark

tigg...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2014, 11:11:15 AM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant!

I guess some other things to consider are:

1. Should there be anything different for open water swimming v pool swimming?
2. Could you look at (say) a normal swim v a swim with a wetsuit on?
3. How should the CP chart deal with rests (e.g. if you do 30 x 100m coming in on 1:30 but leaving on 1:45, is it just the best 100m that makes the CP chart or does it go all the way up to 3,000m?
4. It would be nice to be able to import CSV files (e.g. old Finis Swimsense ones).

Thanks

Jan de Visser

Dec 29, 2014, 11:58:56 AM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com

I can collaborate on 1. If you want. I'm new to GoldenCheetah development, but have spend the better part of a year coming up with a "competitor" written in Python, for which I've done quite a bit of .fit hacking.

I'll work towards getting a development env up shortly.

jan

Ale Martinez

Dec 29, 2014, 2:08:54 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
I think 1 and 2 can be handled by the user using metadata to filter any of the charts, in similar way cyclists would do with trainer vs outdoor or road vs MTB, etc.
Point 3 is something to consider since currently speed averages seems to exclude zeros now, IMHO pauses should be considered when averaging in your example. BTW, xPace does a nice job with rest intervals.
WRT 4 could you post or send me a sample file ?

Ale Martinez

Dec 29, 2014, 2:09:44 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
So we get started in 2014!

Ale Martinez

Dec 29, 2014, 2:12:26 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!
If you need a swimming sample .fit I can post or send you one.

Jan de Visser

Dec 29, 2014, 2:17:31 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com

I have some. I will let you know once I need fast ones :-)

tigg...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2014, 2:34:35 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks.

I will send you a sample but the Finis Streamline website is currently down and the Finis people do not think it will be back up before Friday.

Unfortunately, I have no programming skills and can't help from that side.

Mark Liversedge

Dec 29, 2014, 2:42:41 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

FitRideFile.cpp contains our FIT file reader.
We needed to avoid the FIT sdk licensing issues and lack of support for Linux.

Cheers !
Mark

G Coco

Dec 29, 2014, 8:09:45 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
If you need any help setting up a development environment (other than the INSTALL docs which need some updating) please let me know and I'll help out.

Thank you for offering to assist in development and welcome to the party.

Jan de Visser

Dec 29, 2014, 8:36:32 PM12/29/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Git checkout and compile succeeded, and it didn't even eat my data when it
upgraded my database...

I'll create myself an eclipse or kdevelop project tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement. Looking forward to it.

jan

On December 29, 2014 05:09:45 PM G Coco wrote:
> If you need any help setting up a development environment (other than the
> INSTALL docs which need some updating) please let me know and I'll help out.
>
> Thank you for offering to assist in development and welcome to the party.
>
> On Monday, December 29, 2014 11:58:56 AM UTC-5, Jan de Visser wrote:
> > I can collaborate on 1. If you want. I'm new to GoldenCheetah
> >
> > development, but have spend the better part of a year coming up with a
> > "competitor" written in Python, for which I've done quite a bit of .fit
> > hacking.
> >

> > I'll work towards getting a development env up shortly.
> >

> > jan
> >

> > On December 29, 2014 07:01:44 AM Ale Martinez wrote:
> >
> > Now that we have some support for running I think we are in a good
> > position to add a similar level of support for swimming, the following
> > list
> >
> > is tentative and in no particular order, feel free to add and comment:
> > 1. Add support for .fit files with swimming data generated by Garmin
> > 910/920xt et al
> > 2. Add series of intervals to manual workouts with time and distance
> > (since recording devices are less common in pool swimming and lap
> > times/distances are good enough)
> > 3. Add Swim Zones based on LT swim pace, in metric (min/100m) and
> > imperial (min/100y) units
> > 4. Add time in Swim Zones metrics
> > 5. Add Swim metrics SwimScore <http://www.physfarm.com/swimscore.pdf>,
> > Pace and xPace
> > 6. Add Swim Zones shading and binning to speed Histogram for user
> > defined and polarized zones
> > 7. Add Swim Zones shading to CPchart and enable models when using
> > speed channel
> > 8. Add predefined PMC (SwimScore) and CVswim chart
> > 9. Add a combined score for triathletes training load

art...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2014, 5:06:03 AM12/30/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

great to hear! Thank you a lot. Regarding point 2! I asked about 4 weeks ago if its possible to add / change interval data. It would be great if it´s possible to add the interval distance with perhaps the "edit interval" function and recalculate all the important metrics like Pace, Speed, TSS, .... because not everyone has a Garmin 910 or 920 and bring along distance information with the import file. I swim with my Polar RS400 and stop every interval with it. So I have my interval time but without a distance. Currently, I calculate my Swim TSS and IF based on the calculation of sTSS from Trainingspeaks ( http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/calculating-swimming-tss-score ) and add it with the overall distance into GC but it would be very helpful if GC can calculate this internal. Important here is to have the pure swim time without the rest intervalls. So, if you guys can extend the "edit interval" function with distance there sould be maybe a checkbox to tell GC this is a swim or a rest interval. With this information it should be possible to calculate the overall distance and swim time with the different TSS of each interval and sum up them to a total TSS.

thanks and greetings
Andy

Ale Martinez

Dec 30, 2014, 9:41:04 AM12/30/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Andy, the existing "time riding" metric doesn't count the time with zero speed corresponding to (passive) rest intervals, that would be "pure swim time" you are asking for.
Anyway we'll implement SwimScore which account for the duration of the rest intervals, instead of simply discarding them, to compute normalized swim pace (xPace) and the stress score, take a look at: http://www.physfarm.com/swimscore.pdf

marcag

Dec 30, 2014, 10:09:53 AM12/30/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ale,

What would be nice is once the fi file imported, being able to do some tweaks to it

One useful thing is to be able to override the threshold pace. I swim sometimes short course meters, sometimes long course. My threshold pace is 2-3 seconds faster in short course. So while I have my threshold pace set to say 1:33/100m in Raceday, on a per workout basis, I can override it to 1:36 is I am swimming long course that day

To be able to modify the intervals is also very useful. For example if I do a kick set, it registers as "rest" with 0m in my fit file. In RD, I override the distance with the real distance. Some would find this useful for drills. Otherwise it really throws off the time in zones. You get lots of Z1 work which isn't real.

Anxious to test !! Lots of swim files to compare with TP and RD.

Ale Martinez

Dec 30, 2014, 12:55:27 PM12/30/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Marc, threshold override on individual activity basis is available now for Bike/Run, you only need to define CP/CV data field, so we will support a similar mechanism for swimming.
The ability to edit an activity file at interval level and then propagate the changes to sample level may be an interesting feature also for running, would be interesting to find also some utility for cycling, just to increase the probability of being implemented!

art...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2014, 1:07:09 AM12/31/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

ok, to keep the focus on the different stress scores from Physfarm make sense of course. I am confident, after Marc asked for a similar way like me to edit interval data and you see this could be a interesting feature it´s getting implemented.

Now a proposal to display metrics on the summery page and interval pane. How about to configure the metrics sport specific to display? Now there is a tab for summery and interval for all. Does it make sense to split them to configure the selected metrics specific for Swim, Bike and Run and display them depending on what training / sport is selected like currently power zones and pace zones? This would be reduce the numbers of metrics to display. Now, the list of the important metrices to display getting longer and longer and become unclear. What do you think about it?

greetings
Andy

Ale Martinez

Dec 31, 2014, 6:51:53 PM12/31/14
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Andy, agree some kind of by sport customization such that would be very useful, just now my target is try to make the 3.11 deadline with the basic feature set without breaking anything else, a better multisport customization perhaps could be part of 3.2 feature set.

Toby Smithson

Jan 1, 2015, 7:19:04 PM1/1/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic!

From a coach/athlete/user perspective and linking this with the planning thread, would it be possible to include a few methods for calculating threshold swim pace? e.g. short and/or long course - T1000, different versions of Critical Swim Speeds and then displaying times for common intervals 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, etc.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Toby

Ale Martinez

Jan 5, 2015, 9:24:53 AM1/5/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
It was slower than I anticipated, but we got started, point 3 is done, swim pace zones are available under Pace Zones, the combo-box allow to choose between Run (default) and Swim and they are stored in separate files (run-pace.zones and swim-pace.zones under config):

Default scheme:

is based on Dr. Skiba guidelines for swimming, as it was the one for running:

point 4 will be the next, it will share current time-in-pace-zone metrics since there is no ambiguity at activity level and they can be (and probably should be) filtered by sport at date-range level.

Ale Martinez

Jan 7, 2015, 1:00:21 PM1/7/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Point 4 is done, now swimming activities also accumulate to Time in Pace Zone metrics according to Swim Pace Zones, they are available for LTM charts and they are shown in Summary when the activity is a swim, also swims are separated in Trends Summary and Mark added an isSwim filter similar to isRun. Points 6 and 5 will follow.

tigg...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2015, 8:07:34 AM1/8/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

I promised to send you a Swimsense file.  Unfortunately I can't download as their website is still broken.  They've said it should be done by 15 January 2015.

Ale Martinez

Jan 9, 2015, 1:58:42 PM1/9/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Point 6.- Speed Histogram is done, point 5.- swim metrics is next

Ale Martinez

Jan 10, 2015, 8:18:13 AM1/10/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Update: point 5 is done, the metrics I added were:
  • Pace Swim: based on average speed with zeros and expressed in min/100m or min/100yd, acording to seting
  • xPace Swim: the constant swim pace which would give the same SwimScore when sustained for the same duration, same units as above
  • SwimScore: calculated according to http://www.physfarm.com/swimscore.pdf based on speed data channel, athletes weigth and CV setting from Swim Pace Zones (both weight and CV can be overriden on activity basis)
  • Several intermediate metrics for SwimScore computation: xPower Swim (normalized swimming power), STP (swimming power at CV/threshold pace) and SRI (Swimming Relative Intensity = xPower Swim / STP)
WRT to Point 9 I added TriScore metric which take the value of SwimScore if the activity is a swim, GOVSS if the activity is a run or BikeScore otherwise, so triathletes can use this metric to view the corresponding Power/Pace score according to sport and build a combined PMC, which can be filtered by sport(s) to have individual sport PMC or partial combinations.

Ale Martinez

Jan 10, 2015, 8:51:50 AM1/10/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Damien recently introduced an interesting features to evaluate dynamically if a metric is relevant for a particular activity, this allows to filter the configured metric list to show only the relevant ones for the selected activity, at this moment it is implemented for summary metrics and allows to show only those applied to the sport and for which there necessary data is available. The same could be done for intervals metrics.

art...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2015, 12:34:43 PM1/10/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Great News. Thank you Guys. Your awesome!!

Cheers
Andy

Ale Martinez

Jan 23, 2015, 11:42:24 AM1/23/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Manual workouts now have support for SwimScore/GOVSS based on average speed, which is calculated from time and distance but can be overridden (https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/pull/1272). OTOH I don't think point 2 -lap editor- will make the cut for v3.11

Steven

Jan 23, 2015, 12:27:39 PM1/23/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi?
Great work, congratulations!
When this will be public in a new verison?

Steve

Michele Cea

Jan 26, 2015, 11:46:14 AM1/26/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

for my better understanding: swimming (& running) metrics or most of them are going live with the next release? I mean the one now named 3.2, with the first candidate by the end of Jan?
thank for the info and keep on with the fantastic work!
Michele

Ale Martinez

Jan 27, 2015, 9:08:17 AM1/27/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michele, yes they are included in the multisport update part of Mark's announcement.

Current status of swimming specific features is as I reported before.

art...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2015, 4:05:28 AM2/2/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

how much effort would it be to add something like a common stress score metric (maybe call it CSS) for all other activities apart from Swim, Bike and Run and add it to the TriScore metric? Til now, I have put it into TSS and use filters that these workouts not shown / regarded in PMC or other sport specific charts. Now with a Swim, Bike and Run Score and the overall TriScore I cannot decide where I put stress score values of all other workouts. I have used for the common stress score calculation the estimate calculation by Jow Friel http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/09/estimating-tss.html. It´s possible to add something similar?

Thanks and regards
Andy

Ale Martinez

Feb 2, 2015, 8:19:22 AM2/2/15
El lunes, 2 de febrero de 2015, 6:05:28 (UTC-3), art...@gmail.com escribió:
how much effort would it be to add something like a common stress score metric (maybe call it CSS) for all other activities apart from Swim, Bike and Run and add it to the TriScore metric?
I don't know, it will depend on what is based, the algorithm, etc.

Til now, I have put it into TSS and use filters that these workouts not shown / regarded in PMC or other sport specific charts. Now with a Swim, Bike and Run Score and the overall TriScore I cannot decide where I put stress score values of all other workouts.
TriScore can be overridden, just like any other metric, so if you think you have a better estimate than the calculated value or for other sports you can use that value as you did when using TSS.

I have used for the common stress score calculation the estimate calculation by Jow Friel http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/09/estimating-tss.html. It´s possible to add something similar?
SessionRPE and TRIMP Zonal Points do something similar, albeit using a different scale and weighting factors, in the last case the weighting factors are configurable (Trimp k in HR Zones) so I think you can use that scheme if you like it.

art...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2015, 9:10:21 AM2/2/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Oh, yes you absolutly right! I didn´t thought about it to use TriScore for it. Sometimes it´s to easy!

Thanks
Andy

Ale Martinez

Feb 3, 2015, 1:05:33 PM2/3/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Pont 2, in a simple/minimalist version which allows to test the swimming features, is done, we can make it prettier (or less ugly) for 3.2 but functional enhancements such us to store the series in the file, to integrate them with laps from devices, etc. will have to wait for v4.
Here are some details: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/pull/1291, I will open a new thread with a better explanation.

Jan de Visser

Feb 3, 2015, 1:19:07 PM2/3/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, Ale Martinez
Ale,

I should probably take a look at the patch, but did you add
model/datastructure for this or did you shoehorn it into the existing RideFile
structure?

I'm actually dawdling on the .FIT import because I'm not really sure how to
map the data in the file to the GC internals...

jan

On February 3, 2015 10:05:33 AM Ale Martinez wrote:
> Pont 2, in a simple/minimalist version which allows to test the swimming
> features, is done, we can make it prettier (or less ugly) for 3.2 but
> functional enhancements such us to store the series in the file, to
> integrate them with laps from devices, etc. will have to wait for v4.
> Here are some details:
> https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/pull/1291, I will open a new
> thread with a better explanation.
>
> El lunes, 29 de diciembre de 2014, 12:01:45 (UTC-3), Ale Martinez escribió:
> > Now that we have some support for running I think we are in a good
> > position to add a similar level of support for swimming, the following
> > list
> >
> > is tentative and in no particular order, feel free to add and comment:
> > 1. Add support for .fit files with swimming data generated by Garmin
> > 910/920xt et al
> > 2. Add series of intervals to manual workouts with time and distance
> > (since recording devices are less common in pool swimming and lap
> > times/distances are good enough)
> > 3. Add Swim Zones based on LT swim pace, in metric (min/100m) and
> > imperial (min/100y) units
> > 4. Add time in Swim Zones metrics
> > 5. Add Swim metrics SwimScore <http://www.physfarm.com/swimscore.pdf>,
> > Pace and xPace
> > 6. Add Swim Zones shading and binning to speed Histogram for user
> > defined and polarized zones
> > 7. Add Swim Zones shading to CPchart and enable models when using
> > speed channel
> > 8. Add predefined PMC (SwimScore) and CVswim chart
> > 9. Add a combined score for triathletes training load

Ale Martinez

Feb 3, 2015, 1:34:22 PM2/3/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, amtri...@gmail.com
El martes, 3 de febrero de 2015, 15:19:07 (UTC-3), Jan de Visser escribió:
I should probably take a look at the patch, but did you add
model/datastructure for this or did you shoehorn it into the existing RideFile
structure?
I used the existing RideFile, basically for a series like 10x200m in 2:30 with 0:30 rest interval LapsEditor generates 1800 data points (one per second), the pattern 150 with speed 4.8km/h, then 30 with speed 0 repeated 10 times.

I'm actually dawdling on the .FIT import because I'm not really sure how to
map the data in the file to the GC internals...
Let me know what information you can recover to see if I can help about how to map it, at first the speed channel is the most useful for the existing facilities, stroke rate and length would be a plus at this stage

Jan de Visser

Feb 3, 2015, 2:58:02 PM2/3/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, Ale Martinez

OK, I'll write a little tool to aggregate and dump out the data, and will get that to you.

(I've actually hacked the makefiles so that I can write command line tools that link to the GC object files, so writing the tool while actually using our reading and parsing capabilities should not be that hard [famous last words]).

jan

art...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2015, 2:55:56 AM2/5/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, amtri...@gmail.com
Hi Ale,

I did my first swim workout with a 910XT but GC is not able to import the .fit file. Can you have a look on it what went wrong?

thanks
Andy
20150205-065632-1-1328-ANTFS-4-0_2015_02_05_08_12_06.FIT

Ale Martinez

Feb 5, 2015, 7:40:35 AM2/5/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, amtri...@gmail.com
Andy, we don't have support for .fit files with swimming data yet, Jan is working on reading them.

art...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2015, 2:43:00 AM2/6/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, amtri...@gmail.com
Ale, sorry. It passed by you haven´t finished that.

Andy

Ale Martinez

Feb 6, 2015, 10:34:34 AM2/6/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com, amtri...@gmail.com
No problem!

BTW, I added some info about how to use the LapsEditor to try swim metrics: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/golden-cheetah-users/dvzyg-4fhP4/rIlvlLKIgggJ

Ale Martinez

Feb 10, 2015, 10:12:01 AM2/10/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone share or send me a sample Garmin files for pool swimming with laps exported from TrainingPeaks, original .fit and .pwx.
Thanks!

El lunes, 29 de diciembre de 2014, 12:01:45 (UTC-3), Ale Martinez escribió:
Now that we have some support for running I think we are in a good position to add a similar level of support for swimming, the following list is tentative and in no particular order, feel free to add and comment:
  1. Add support for .fit files with swimming data generated by Garmin 910/920xt et al
  1. Add series of intervals to manual workouts with time and distance (since recording devices are less common in pool swimming and lap times/distances are good enough)
  1. Add Swim Zones based on LT swim pace, in metric (min/100m) and imperial (min/100y) units
  1. Add time in Swim Zones metrics
  1. Add Swim metrics SwimScore, Pace and xPace
  1. Add Swim Zones shading and binning to speed Histogram for user defined and polarized zones
  1. Add Swim Zones shading to CPchart and enable models when using speed channel
  1. Add predefined PMC (SwimScore) and CVswim chart
  1. Add a combined score for triathletes training load (SwimScore+BikeScore+GOVSS) and PMC(combined) chart

Arturo Gonzalez Mac Dowell

Feb 10, 2015, 11:10:54 AM2/10/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Ale, I can send you .fit and either TCX or GPX exported from Connect if that is enough.

Arturo

art...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 11:15:28 AM2/10/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
 Hi Ale,
this is my swim .fit file from today. Have fun!

cheers
Andy
20150210-064233-1-1328-ANTFS-4-0.FIT

Ale Martinez

Feb 10, 2015, 11:52:58 AM2/10/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Thanks both, but what I need is an exported file from TrainingPeaks (.pwx) together with the original .fit for the same pool session
Message has been deleted

art...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2015, 4:40:55 AM2/11/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

so here is the .pwx file from my swim workout yesterday. I hope it is helpful.

cheers
Andy
Andy_2015-02-11-09-35-53Z.pwx

Ale Martinez

Feb 11, 2015, 8:08:31 AM2/11/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy!

BTW, there are problems importing swimming pool files in both, .pwx format exported from TrainingPeaks, and .tcx exported from GarminConnect.

art...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2015, 8:16:02 AM2/11/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

you mean in general or with my files I provided?

Andy

Ale Martinez

Feb 11, 2015, 8:56:28 AM2/11/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
In general, they provide lap information plus 1 sample per length which we are not interpreting correctly.

art...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2015, 6:16:43 AM2/15/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

please, can you explain more about the xPace swimming calculation. I wonder me why is the xPace currently so much lower then Pace. E.g. I swam 50 and 100 Meter intervals. The Pace were calculated for 50m - 01:34 min/100 and for 100m - 01:40 min/100 which is ok but xPace show values of 50m - 01:50 min/100m and 100m - 01:47 min/100m. Why has xPace these values? Could that be correct?

thanks
Andy

Am Samstag, 10. Januar 2015 14:18:13 UTC+1 schrieb Ale Martinez:
[...]

Ale Martinez

Feb 15, 2015, 8:40:01 AM2/15/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Short answer is yes and it doesn't matter, pace is what you should look at such short intervals,, xPace just like xPower/NP are useful for much longer periods, at least 5' and ideally 20' or more, for short intervals xPace is interesting if you select a block including several work an rest intervals or the whole workout.

Arturo Gonzalez Mac Dowell

Feb 16, 2015, 12:11:49 PM2/16/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
If I'm still on time, I managed to find the way to convert .fit to .pwx using device agent. Here are three files with both formats.

Arturo
63556309536000000085.fit
635582985220000000109.fit
635590748960000000119.fit
argmac_Garmin_FR910XT_2015_01_31_10_17_02.pwx
argmac_Garmin_FR910XT_2015_02_09_09_23_58.pwx
argmac_Garmin_FR910XT_2015_01_08_09_24_36.pwx

Ale Martinez

Feb 17, 2015, 12:46:27 PM2/17/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
The timing is good, I've just completed the modifications to be able to read the one I already have and it is good to have others files to test, thanks!

Ale Martinez

Feb 19, 2015, 9:25:33 AM2/19/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Update: I added support for tcx pool swimming files exported from Garmin Connect, they don't carry stroke information but time&distance per length and pauses is enough to use the metrics we have up to date, here are the details: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/pull/1322, I've tested several 910xt files but more testing and reporting when available are welcome!

Serban Mestecaneanu

Feb 20, 2015, 2:40:58 AM2/20/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Ale, let me know if you would find useful some Ambit3 open water files.

Serban

art...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2015, 3:09:04 AM2/20/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ale,

great stuff. If you need more .fit swim files for test direct import to GC or something just let me know.

cheers
Andy

Ale Martinez

Feb 20, 2015, 11:09:34 AM2/20/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Serban, OWS files with GPS data should work with previous versions, caveats are it may be necessary to extend the Smart Recording Threshold more than default value (or to run Fix Gaps afterwards with a greater value) and speed channel data could be crappy.

Ale Martinez

Feb 20, 2015, 11:24:15 AM2/20/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy, I am not working on .fit direct import and, I think, Jan already has files to test.

I will try to add support for .pwx file next, including smart-recording which is not currently supported.

tigg...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2015, 1:57:14 AM2/21/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Not sure if you need them but I've attached two files (CSV / XML) that came from Finis Swimsense.  They are both for the same swim.

Mark
swimsense-workout-254757.xml
swimsense-workout-254757.csv

Ale Martinez

Feb 21, 2015, 4:32:25 PM2/21/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Mark, thanks for the files, I've converted the .csv to .pwx using TP Device Agent and imported to GC using the modifications I'm working on and it looks pretty good, see below, anyway it would be nice and probably not too difficult to be able to import it directly, could you open an issue in the tracker to put it in the queue?

Jan de Visser

Feb 21, 2015, 7:18:42 PM2/21/15
On February 21, 2015 01:32:25 PM Ale Martinez wrote:
> Mark, thanks for the files, I've converted the .csv to .pwx using TP Device
> Agent and imported to GC using the modifications I'm working on and it
> looks pretty good, see below, anyway it would be nice and probably not too
> difficult to be able to import it directly, could you open an issue in the
> tracker to put it in the queue?
>
> <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-l4juEgMRUNE/VOj4-QSjeaI/AAAAAAAAGNU/Cnm6
> OAQqX4A/s1600/FinisSwimSense.jpg>

Ale,

Is this committed/pushed somewhere? I wouldn't mind having a look at how you
structured the data. If it's not in master yet, is there a private tree of
yours I can pull?

jan

Ale Martinez

Feb 22, 2015, 9:15:24 AM2/22/15
El sábado, 21 de febrero de 2015, 21:18:42 (UTC-3), Jan de Visser escribió:
Is this committed/pushed somewhere? I wouldn't mind having a look at how you
structured the data. If it's not in master yet, is there a private tree of
yours I can pull?

jan
Hi Jan, support for pwx lap swimming files is not merged to master yet but it is pushed here: https://github.com/amtriathlon/GoldenCheetah/commit/117ed49d7e7b8d30cb855895f5afe9bc2c5e9e41
Changes for tcx files, originated from fit lap swimming files exported from Garmin Connect, is already merged: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/commit/ea37db2167a3671e4782f7ff141ab21a9b9e95f9

Ale Martinez

Feb 24, 2015, 8:36:24 AM2/24/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Support for .pwx files with lap swimming data is on master now (commit 0f2fc73), it is similar to .tcx but also includes cadence, which is the average stroke rate per length in cycles per minute i.e. half of strokes per minute.
The patch also adds Smart Recording interpolation for .pwx files, especially useful for running watches which doesn't allow to disable that feature s.t. the low end Garmins.

mshalett

Apr 6, 2015, 1:07:22 PM4/6/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
What do I do to upgrade from 2/13 ver to commit 0f2fc73?  I am not a developer : )

Ale Martinez

Apr 6, 2015, 2:12:14 PM4/6/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Read the dev guide and search the forum about how to build for your OS, some are easier than others, some help for a developer friend for the initial setup could be very useful.

Ale Martinez

Jun 13, 2015, 9:24:06 AM6/13/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
> 7. Add Swim Zones shading to CPchart and enable models when using speed channel

Finally this is done, when you select Speed as data channel in a Critical Mean Maximal chart the behavior is:
a) In Trends view pace zone shading and pace units are the corresponding to the sport when a sport filter is applied
b) In Activities view pace zone shading and pace units are shown according to the selected activity sport and best curve is automatically filtered for that sport

Ale Martinez

Ben

Mar 2, 2017, 11:36:39 AM3/2/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Ale,
I appreciate this is an old thread. However, I thought it was a good place to pose my query.

I'm learning to use Golden Cheetah and particularly keen to make the swimming metrics work for me. I'm interested in managing my training load using GC. I'm primarily a cyclist and have a basic understanding of the Coggan PMC stress metrics based on power data. However, with my swimming, the metrics seem very odd. For example, a swim session of 2.5km in 55mins gives me CTL 692701, ATL 15399, TSB 694312! I think it's something simple that I've done incorrectly in the settings. I'd appreciate any pointers to get this working for me. I attach screenshots of a swim, PMC(TriScore) and of my general and swim pace zones settings. I'm using Golden Cheetah version 3.4.

Thanks for your help,
Ben
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.54.35 .png
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.54.15 .png
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.51.37 .png
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.48.35 .png

Ale Martinez

Mar 2, 2017, 1:13:19 PM3/2/17
to golden-cheetah-users
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 13:36:39 UTC-3, Ben wrote:
I'm learning to use Golden Cheetah and particularly keen to make the swimming metrics work for me. I'm interested in managing my training load using GC. I'm primarily a cyclist and have a basic understanding of the Coggan PMC stress metrics based on power data. However, with my swimming, the metrics seem very odd. For example, a swim session of 2.5km in 55mins gives me CTL 692701, ATL 15399, TSB 694312! I think it's something simple that I've done incorrectly in the settings. I'd appreciate any pointers to get this working for me. I attach screenshots of a swim, PMC(TriScore) and of my general and swim pace zones settings. I'm using Golden Cheetah version 3.4.
Hi Ben, it looks like a data problem not a configuration one. To diagnose this CTL/ATL/TSB are not the best tools at the activity level since they depend on your training history, no just the current workout, looking at the TriScore value is more useful: filter your activities with TriScore > 200 (or 300 or other high value) and look for speed spikes in those activities which are probably the cause, the Edit chart anomalies button is useful to find them and the SWIM tab allows to see and fix the length-by-length data, then you need to run Edit->Fix Lap Swim from Length Data tool to fix the speed data.

Ivan Diaz

May 24, 2017, 5:29:35 AM5/24/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Dear Ale,

I would like to ask for one feature, if possible:
- to introduce manual swim workouts and been able to export to Garmin Connect/ Strava/ TP.

is it possible?

Thank you very much
Best regards
Ivan

Ale Martinez

May 24, 2017, 9:18:40 AM5/24/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Ivan, if you enter your manual swim workouts using the lap editor button they will have synthetic speed & distance data so they can be exported in any supported format, fit is added for v3.5