R isn't working anymore

Frank Wechsel

Nov 13, 2017, 11:05:49 AM11/13/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi,

I have a question regarding to R.

It worked flawless on my Mac but since Sierra it seems that it does not work anymore.

I tried V 3.3.3 and 3.4.2

R Directories I tried:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources

Both Resources are there, but no R Template I downloaded shows any content.
Also it is not possible to pull the R console out from the middle of GC.

Any help?

I am on MAC OS 10.12.6, GC 3.5 V1710!

Thx
Message has been deleted

Ale Martinez

Nov 15, 2017, 3:05:51 PM11/15/17
to golden-cheetah-users
I'm not a Mac user but I give it a try today, downloaded v3.5-DEV1710 and installed on a Macbook Air with MacOS Sierra, the About Box says it was built using R 3.2.4, my experience in Linux says that, even when source supports R v3.4.2, if the build is done with 3.2.4, it will crash when trying to enable R 3.4.2 and, it crashed.

An attempt to install R v3.3.3 on top of R v3.4.2 failed to start, after removal of R v3.4.2 a new standard install of v3.3.3 worked stand alone and was detected by GC on the next start (/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources), after checking "Enable R" and restarting GC all R charts worked Ok.

TLDR: you need R v3.3.3 if GC About Box says it was built using v3.2.4, check R is working stand-alone and see what R.home() returns, this should be the same as the one detected/configured on GC.

Mark Liversedge

Nov 15, 2017, 4:27:20 PM11/15/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks for the info Ale,

R integration is a pain -- will look again at this, but basically with each release they change the internal structures which makes keeping up to date very difficult since it needs to be compiled in. But we shouldn't crash.

Mark

Frank Wechsel

Nov 19, 2017, 2:38:57 AM11/19/17
to golden-cheetah-users
Thx Ale, after deleting R 3.4.2 and 3.3.3, reainstall and restart did it!

BR

Manuel O

Mar 15, 2018, 1:39:17 PM3/15/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello,

now I can´t use R 3.4.3 with Mac in GC 3.4 or 3.5, every time crash. Only it´s possible to use with R 3.3.3?
thanks

Ale Martinez

Mar 15, 2018, 5:04:00 PM3/15/18
to golden-cheetah-users
El jueves, 15 de marzo de 2018, 14:39:17 (UTC-3), Manuel O escribió:
Hello,

now I can´t use R 3.4.3 with Mac in GC 3.4 or 3.5, every time crash. Only it´s possible to use with R 3.3.3?
v3.5 dev 18.02 works with R 3.4.3, previous versions need R 3.3.3 or lower.

Mark Liversedge

Mar 16, 2018, 4:18:15 AM3/16/18
to golden-cheetah-users
I will add some user feedback to the config screen to explain why stuff like Python and R got disabled at startup
We don't show a popup since it will annoy / confuse 99% of users.

Mark