USER SURVEY: Shaping V4 and beyond

Mark Liversedge

Dec 3, 2016, 8:24:34 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

4. When else do you use GC ?

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

THANKS!

Mark

PS: I could have setup a survey monkey, but would like everyone to see responses, as they help to provoke thought. Reply directly if you want to remain anonymous.

Nenad

Dec 3, 2016, 9:34:19 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Analyse ride data and progress

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nothing :)

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Upload ride and analyse it, max, avg, NP power, intervals, HR, stress, PMC charts, etc

4. When else do you use GC ?
Train and Trends mode

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

   Analysing training, tracking progress, tracking form, planing form, training mode with workout designer

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Nothing

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

One year

jomu

Dec 3, 2016, 9:47:29 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

GC Survey

1. quite a lot actually, this would be my short answer:

I log my all my MTB and RB rides, analyse each ride,  weekly TSS, time spent in power zones, best intervals, look at graphs CP, QA, PMC, CP-history, compare intervals and rides,

2. I seldom use GC before a ride. Sometimes when I do a ride that I have done in the past, I check with GC to see for example  how long it took me to go up that hill so I know whats coming.

3. see 1.

4. To see progress ( and decay ;))

5. automatic interval search is great, comparing intervals too, PMC, mFTP,  adding parameters and editing charts

6.  programming

7. self coach and a little of sports scientist

8. 5 years

mickebergma...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2016, 10:23:45 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 3:24:34 PM UTC+2, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
Analyze data. Keep track of stress score

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Import data. Check metrics. CP, stress score

4. When else do you use GC ?
Sometimes when planning intervalls. When comparing data adn checking stress.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Analyze data. Keep track of stress. Compare data

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Both difficult and annoying that it's obviously designed for nerds with capabilities way over my head. It's really hard trying to find out how to use it. I.e. TSS (Triscore) for running. TSS with HR for other sports.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Self coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
1

THANKS!
You're welcome and it's WE who thank you for this marvellous piece of software!!

TJDunnigan

Dec 3, 2016, 10:43:48 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 5:24:34 AM UTC-8, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Analyse ride data, track fitness, control trainer sessions

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Analyze ride data, track fitness (both produced power metrics and stress).

4. When else do you use GC ?

Control FE-C+ trainer using .mrc files.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Ride analysis (power  comparisons by time, place and situation)
Fitness analysis (various stress metrics)
Trainer control

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Separation of documentation from program (no ability to hover for definitions, click to bring-up context sensitive help)

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

2 years

THANKS!

Mark

Thank you for all the hard working dedication.

Lothar Herrle

Dec 3, 2016, 10:59:22 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

Am Samstag, 3. Dezember 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1 schrieb Mark Liversedge:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Import my ride immediately manually from Garmin Edge 1000. Check/edit in details-tab. After training ride take a quick look at ride-tab and CP chart. After race take a deep look into it. In trend view look at PMC and check how the training ride fits into my Training stress balance. Adjust if necessary my next training ride(Duration, intensity, TSS). PMC and CP charts are most important for me. I´m coaching myself.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Normally nothing. When the training planning option for a planned PMC chart, broken down to monthly, weekly and finally daily training load is in place(what I hope is soon) I would take a look to my actuals vs. planned data.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

See  no. 1

4. When else do you use GC ?

Analyze frequently my training progress with trend view charts(Make screenshots or printouts to share them with teammates/friends). Document my hardware(bike repair, battery life, chain- tire life etc). Coach my teammates/friends sometimes by using GC.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Improving my training structure: Top 5:  PMC, CP, MMP, Ride tab, flexibility in making user-specific outcome.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Sometimes hard to find the available options because there are to many options/metrics. For me only cycling options are of value. In addition I don´t need TRIMP etc.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self Coach. Further improvement of training and performance by power based training and GC in the last 18 month.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

18 month, See no. 7

Mark Smith

Dec 3, 2016, 11:09:12 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Analyze rides.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Use it to identify previous routes that I can use on the next training ride.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Upload FIT file from my Garmin 520.  Then if necessary use the Editor to correct power data using output from the PowerPod Issac software and correct temperature for first few minutes due to Garmin lag. Then I analyze the ride using the PMC and other assorted charts I have created to monitor my training. Finally I upload the GC file to Strava.

4. When else do you use GC ?

Nothing at the moment but once I have completed all of the British Cycling training plans would probably use the Workout Editor to develop my own training plans.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Easy file download from FIT file, PMC etc built in, ability to create custom charts and metrics

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Steep learning curve to create some custom metrics and to use R charting for those of us who aren't programmers by trade.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Recreational using British Cycling training plans for structured fitness training and ability to ride Sportives.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

1 Year

Claus Assmann

Dec 3, 2016, 11:34:03 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
On Sat, Dec 03, 2016, Mark Liversedge wrote:

> 1. What do you typically do with GC?

Store and "analyze" ride data (e.g., training load, CP for various
durations, compare various rides). I put "analyze" in quotes because
I don't know enough what to do with the data besides "Oh look, I
got even slower" or in too few cases "Hey, a new best for Y".

Hacking it to suit my needs (e.g., avoid all those extra clicks
when importing ride files, fix power data, allow calibration of a
power meter for trainer rides, make it work on my OS :-)

Sometimes just playing around to see what other nice graphs/displays
it can create -- but usually without having a clue what to do
with/about it.

> 2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nothing.

> 3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Nothing... I only download data about once or twice a week
-- and then see 1 (store and "analyze").

> 4. When else do you use GC ?

Trainer rides.

> 5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Storing and keeping track of rides (power et.al. data).
Nice display for trainer rides with a defined workout.

> 6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

No good documentation to find "how to do X".
Crashes too often (and those are hard to debug).
Slow startup (reading ride files, but that's not limited by disk I/O).

> 7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self
> Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Recreational

> 8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't
> train with power)

10 years.

Not asked (probably too many different answers and off-topic
for this survey):
! 9. Which feature(s) are you missing most from GC...
telling me how/what to train to reach certain goals.

Peter Riegersperger

Dec 3, 2016, 11:50:35 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
On 03.12.2016, at 14:24, Mark Liversedge <liver...@gmail.com> wrote:

Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Track (Trends):
* Training Stress (I use it also as a basis for weekly training planning)
* Changes in Fitness (Critical Power and Peak Power)
* Compare seasons (years, and phases in a training season)

Evaluate (Single Workouts):
* Workout Execution
* W’bal
* Objective measurements and how they correlate to subjective feeling

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Before every ride: Nothing.
Sometimes: Look at the PMC

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Upload file from garmin, name and tag ride, evaluate workout, upload to calendar to track training plan execution.

4. When else do you use GC ?

Usually once a week for looking back on the past week (check my training discipline) and looking forward planning the next week.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

W’bal plotting
Interval Comparison
Ride Comparison
Custom (R) plots

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Trends area in general (working with seasons, and honestly everything else)
Charts navigation on top

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Self-Coached Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

2

Mark Shannon

Dec 3, 2016, 11:53:09 AM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?
Cycling data analysis

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
n/a - I don't use GC before a ride.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Manual upload of ride file. I keep meaning to enable auto load!
Fill out ride "Details", ie workout code, weight (I really wish weight auto-populated from the Athlete's current master data), route, objective, notes
Look at Ride, Stress and Power charts to see if there is any data spikes. Fix in Edit as necessary.
Examine Summary, CP, Stress and Ride charts for anything interesting (eg negative or very low W' balance)
Examine Trends Summary, PMC, MMP trend, CP charts for anything interesting (eg athlete bests)

4. When else do you use GC ?
Once a week or so to review PMC in a bit more detail.
After a series of test rides (every six weeks or so) I use the CP and Veloclinic trend charts to help estimate CP/FTP and W'.
Every now and then, flick through other data of interest, eg power time in zone by week, work done, etc.
Once a month or so I review my plan (in Excel) against what I have actually done as downloaded from GC.
Once a year I set a new plan for the new season based on historic data from GC and other info (eg trainerroad plans, season goals, etc).
Once or twice a year I revise my season's plan as necessary based on actual data from GC.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Central repository of all historic data (incl notes) with relatively easy access to analyse that data for a ride or a time period.
CP / W' estimation using CP models and Veloclinic plot.
Library of useful charts

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
I don't really find anything difficult or annoying but there are functions I would like to try but never find the time to investigate, eg train module.
As a cyclist I find that the non-cycling add-ons (running, swimming) are a distraction and would like to be able to tick a box to hide them all.
I also find the (almost) duplicate versions of the terms I am used to superfluous. I use the Coggan metrics as I came from WKO 3 and so am used to TSS, CTL, ATL, NP, IF, etc.  Would be good to be able to tick a box to get ride of all references to XPower, relative intensity, etc.
I worry a little that the latest developments (user defined metrics, R integration, etc) will make GC too complex to do the relatively straightforward analysis that is sufficient for me, or that I will not be able to make relatively simple changes in future without learning these features (which seems quite a steep curve).
Would be great to have season planning integrated in to GC rather than relying on downloaded data and excel spreadsheet.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational self coached

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
7 years

Peter Riegersperger

Dec 3, 2016, 12:26:45 PM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Sorry, I forgot one thing:

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

W’bal plotting
Interval Comparison
Ride Comparison
Custom (R) plots
Open and documented Data Format without proprietary lock-in of years of training information

Jason Whitehead

Dec 3, 2016, 12:51:41 PM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Hope this helps

1. What do you typically do with GC?
Analyse training rides & races, track form and fitness over time, compare and refer back to past performances

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Not often before, but occasionally use it to look for places to do a particular length/type of interval by looking at my history. Also use my workouts stored in train mode to build/adjust my yearly & weekly plan.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Import data, check interval data, track progress - PMC and CP Charts especially

4. When else do you use GC ?
Train - turbo sessions and track my gym workouts

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Track data, peak powers etc and compare over time, compare intervals, track form and fitness, train with turbo, create workouts

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Occasional crashes after making a bunch of new tab/screens - have to re-do all of them.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Self Coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
1 year
Been using GC for 3 years

tigg...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2016, 2:06:01 PM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 13:24:34 UTC, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC? Download files from Garmin Connect (now using tapiriik), look at the summary data and add to an Excel spreadsheet on my training log (swim, bike, run, row).  Look at the CP chart.  Get disappointed that CP has not increased.  Look at the CV chart for swimming and get disappointed with the scaling/units.  Sometimes I look at 'power' chart.  Turn it off.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ? Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ? As per 1.

4. When else do you use GC ? When writing up my log

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ? Not really sure. Probably summary, CP chart and that's about it for me.  I'd like to get it to control my Kickr but haven't tried that yet as I haven't ventured into the 'train' bit yet.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ? Understanding how to do more complex things.  So I've done Ironman Lanzarote five times and would like to compare how my power / HR / speed was on different parts of the course.  But it is really painful to do that (or at least it was a couple of years ago when I tried to do that).  Last summer I did some intervals on a particular road - flat and then hill.  But trying to create separate intervals for the flat bit and the hill bit was hassle (the only way I found I could do it was to guess the ride time where the hill started, set the interval length to that and then shorten / extend it a number of times by looking at the map until I got it right - but that's probably my ignorance).  Crashes on starting up frustrate me (v3.4 just did that).

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ? Recreational triathlete

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power) 11 years

massarob.info

Dec 3, 2016, 2:12:58 PM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?
Analyse both mine and clients files, analyse tests (since 2 years focusing, as paradigm, on CP and W' identification which I implemented in my plans)

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
before every SINGLE ride, not much; before planning next mesocycles look for how to structure workouts for next to come targets. MMP curves and an/aerobic trends mainly

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Drag and drop (I beg to not remove this!) files from folders/Garmin
Analyse power W'bal (if the single workout has >CP sections), analyse HR, check est. power (with the new function of custom metrics, awesome) vs recorded power, check trends (PMC daily, other trends weekly)

4. When else do you use GC ?
Store data, compare different clients with similar targets (e.g. compare MMP curves); not very often use personally the TRAIN panel, which probably is underrated among all the many functions available

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
- flexibility in creating personalized chats
- all the edit options (e.g. fix and estimate)
- compare panel
- implementation of CP, W' and whatever the future will bring with "no branded" metrics
- this is a little "philosophical" (so don't count it!): unite people with the same passion and interest in sport, physiology and science

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
- long time/many clicks required to personalize charts, but ATM it's part of the process
- little discrepancies, e.g. it's not possible to have separate interval metrics for different athletes, while, on the other side it's possible to be very flexible in charts (unless I lost how to change the former)
- sometimes lack of informations/guides mainly because, I guess, it's difficult to run together with all the new features implemented. So maybe introduce less but with "official" and solid guides/videos or anything useful to use GC at its maximal potential.
- after years using GC, I guess I NEVER ever used the DIARY panel
I copy this from above:
As a cyclist I find that the non-cycling add-ons (running, swimming) are a distraction and would like to be able to tick a box to hide them all.
Would be nice to remove metrics/functions with a simple tick box (e.g. grouping same "family" metrics all together, ala Garmin Edge menu?)

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Coach with univ. degree

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
10 years

Nigel Van de Velde

Dec 3, 2016, 5:50:30 PM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?
Tracking training over time and comparing seasons in regards to form, injury, feeling, performance,.... Trying to avoid overtraining and finding a good balance between cycling, swimming and running

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
See what my total TriScore for the current week is

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
A. See where I was
B. Check relevant intervals and efforts (power, power-heartrate)
C. Check CP (bike) or CV (swim-run) for the activity and relevant intervals
D. Check some segments I am tracking
E. Look at some trend charts I created (long term performance and general tracking)
F. Edit bad or missing data
G. Upload to strava

4. When else do you use GC ?
When editing or creating new charts

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
A. Gathering all my data and creating a backup in the cloud
B. Tracking performance
C. Giving motivation
D. Learning new training insights (from my own data, cloud charts, discussion between users, looking up terminology,...)

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
I guess it can be overwhelming initially.
Lack of background (on my behalf) in using R or creating user defined metrics

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
2 years (but started using Goldencheetah quite some time before I had a powermeter)

Nigel Van de Velde

Dec 3, 2016, 5:57:36 PM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Forgot one important thing
3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
H. Add some used equipment to the ride + add some general info (ride conditions, resting heartrate, weight, weather, bike geometry changes, injuries/niggles,....

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
E. See above. I used to track equipment in excel, but GC does a far better job at this. Especially if you combine it with filters.

Julian

Dec 3, 2016, 9:54:35 PM12/3/16
to golden-cheetah-users

1. What do you typically do with GC?

I use GC to analyze rides and workouts after the fact and to train on my Kickr.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nothing.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Upload the ride file and analyze it- I look at the intervals break down mostly.  I also check my PMC chart to monitor how the ride fits in with my training.

4. When else do you use GC ?

I use GC to create workouts that I will run on my Kickr.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

 Analysis- the charts are fantastic and flexible.  Runs natively on Mac and allows me to have control over my data.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Bloat.  There is simply too much in the software.  With all these options, dials, levers, bells and whistles it's easy to get lost and distracted. GC is also trying to be everything for everyone... As a cyclist I want to fully eliminate all references to running and swimming.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Cat 1 racer.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

12 years

Matthew Walker

Dec 4, 2016, 12:45:23 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Split rides to get a particular -sub ride (30km loop)
Keep track of Average HR VS average power for particular segments (to manage cardiac drugs and issues)
Historical record of TSS - it disappears from my garmin when I upload
Historical record of events/rides
Keep track of VO2max and CP estimates
edit ride data to remove issues
compare metrics and perceived effort

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
not much - but I think this will change with the new workout editor
I use a separate spreadsheet to plan future rides based on TSS and rate of rise of the 42 day average to avoid injury and get to max performance for events

3. What do you do after every ride with GC ?
upload from file
split out any before and after ride segments
Look at average power and average HR for a particular 30km loop
examine the power profile - look at the areas where I come close to best efforts
check HR v Power graph - check disassociation

4. When else do you use GC ?
When I'm planning other rides or events that are same/similar to ones already in GC

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Finding out where my limits are and using this to pace me during a ride
Ride analysis - looking back at rides and checking how close to my limit I was and comparing to what it felt like at the time.
A historical record to use to plan future rides
An open platform where I can see how metrics are calculated and I can at least try to understand the science behind them - Why would I want to pay someone for my own data and what the hell is a suffer score anyway?

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
There is so much in there - I'd love to do more but the hurdle to get started is just too high.
for example I have been telling myself that I need to learn R for 6 months - but I'm time poor.
I'm not a super user but I think I have all the things I need.
Only one thing, my cursor disappears in the notes box (GC3.3 win32)
and another - my trusty 11 year old Latitude D620 XP laptop is not going to run GC4 :-( but that's more of an emotional issue

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational
(Engineering - quite technical, non-SW)

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
4 years

9. What parts of GC don't you use?
Trainer mode is dead to me - I would prefer to ride in the rain than use a trainer.
Luckily the weather in Sydney is relatively good all year round!

thanks Mark and the rest of the team - keep it up
- Matthew

Stefan

Dec 4, 2016, 1:37:55 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Store my rides. Check my training volume. Nothing fancy really. I must admit, I don't really see much value in post-training analysis. Only exception are race files. I analyse them very thoroughly.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nothing. Sometimes I check how long a certain route took me. But this is hampered by the absence of a spatial filter.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Import into GC. Fill out some meta fields like workout code or which powermeter I have used. For runs I add TSS (even though I don't really believe in any added value of a PMC ... I guess this is just a habit)

4. When else do you use GC ?

Never

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

1) Store my rides
2) Summarise my training

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

1) lack of spatial filter, e.g. find rides by coordinates
2) comparision pane is cumbersome, e.g. old school performance tracking: how long did it take me for my climb A

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

14-20 hours/week, self coached, sort of successfull rider

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

4

Nathan Townsend

Dec 4, 2016, 2:14:53 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 16:24:34 UTC+3, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

I use it mostly for bulk analysis of research data using SRM or lode ergometer, and also field data.  It acts as a very good database tool which can import files fast and efficiently.  I can quickly an easily visualise the ride file and then select specific portions of the file for export back to csv format.  I'd love to have right click functionality though eg: right click a slected section -> export this section only to csv or something of the like.

I'm also using it to develop and assess the validity of new metrics such as W'bal and time/work in W'bal zones.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

upload files and examine W'bal

4. When else do you use GC ?

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

fast importing and ex

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Lacking right click functionality for various objects (eg: right click axis of graph and change scale etc).
Lacking click and drag selection tool -> right click for options/info related to the selected region (eg: copy to new json file, export to excel, delete selected).  I realise this can be done in the text editor but it's way faster to have this option visually.

Having to manually remove long sections of zero power data such as coffee breaks etc from within a ride file so that all ride metrics are representative of the true workload.  What can I do to help implement my filter criteria idea?

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Sport scientist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

Working with cycling power data = 15+ yrs. Training myself with my own PM = 5 yrs

Boris Lewandowski

Dec 4, 2016, 2:18:36 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Mark

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 2:24:34 PM UTC+1, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Session based analysis.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Not that much. Sometimes I check out some earlier workouts or my target zones

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Post workout analysis.

4. When else do you use GC ?

I use it for Concept2 Rower and Skierg too.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

One tool to rule them all: Bike, SkiErg, RowErg (and run) --> 3 different sports with 3 different FTP's/CPs and different settings. Currently I have to use 3 different athletes. My dream would be to have it all within one athlete… then I could use the more features sophisticated features of GC too. Currently my usage scenario is quite limited, due to "being forced" to split my activities over several athletes.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

The user interface! Makes no "fun" to use. I tried to promote GC a little bit, but people (with no top computer skills) didn't like it at all.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

A mix of "all of them".

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

Several years.

Cheers,
Boris

Manuel Zeller

Dec 4, 2016, 2:20:37 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

Am Samstag, 3. Dezember 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1 schrieb Mark Liversedge:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Analysis of training, documentation (weight, sleep hours, HRV etc., . Would do planing is possible.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

    Nothing (planing)

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

   Analysis of the training session (intervals, PMC etc.)

4. When else do you use GC ?

Every day for the documentation of my personal data. Tain View to control my  smart trainer

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Comparsion mode to compare rides, intervals, workout editor

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Delete multiple intervals

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

2,5 years

holop...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2016, 3:10:48 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 10:24:34 PM UTC+9, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
analyze data to review progress

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Confirm stress, time in zones, plan next workouts

4. When else do you use GC ?
To learn R

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
 graph visualization is excellent.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
many defaults assume user has a power meter for cycling

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
 0 years

Salvatore Taibi

Dec 4, 2016, 3:12:54 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 3:24:34 AM UTC-10, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

 Everything related to my training. Logging, analyzing, planning.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Maybe not every ride, but if I have a certain set of intervals planned, I'll look back at my last few efforts of the same workout and see what my levels were so I can set my current targets.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

 Upload workout; edit workout for any anomalies; annotate workout and intervals; analyze data through a combination of stock and custom charts; track fitness progression.

4. When else do you use GC ?

Looking back at races from previous seasons to plan for upcoming events.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

It enables me to customize virtually everything; it provides so many methods to track progression; the community is incredible and there are so many people willing to help at all times.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

The Summary screen. It is the one area of GC which isn't very customizable.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self-coached competitive racer.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

4.5 Years.

THANKS!

Daniel Müller

Dec 4, 2016, 4:59:32 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

Am Samstag, 3. Dezember 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1 schrieb Mark Liversedge:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Trainings Plan, evaluate, analyze, compare and archive

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Do not call before each trip but frequently for the planning and organization of the next trainings.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

   See question 1

4. When else do you use GC ?

I use GC as a research tool, and as a control tool for my own training

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

A well-structured database of all acquired trainings and the new function «R» the possibility to create different analyzes and comparisons.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

No problems or complaints. Only praiseworthy remarks.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Trainers and sports scientists

 8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

15 Years

Stefan

Dec 4, 2016, 5:54:42 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 8:20:37 AM UTC+1, Manuel Zeller wrote:

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Delete multiple intervals

+1

James

Dec 4, 2016, 8:02:12 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 1:24:34 PM UTC, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
Look at data recorded with a Garmin 510, typically cycling, but also beginner efforts at bodyweight training (ie HR data)

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
I don't usually use GC before every ride

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
I import the .fit file, tag the workout code with the HR zone, or Social if applicable, tag keywords such as commute, xc, roads, etc, specify points on route if it's not a commute.

4. When else do you use GC ?
When I want to plan a ride and wish to recall all rides which match certain criteria, ie, location (via route), social rides, xc/roads, etc.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Filters/Search & Tagging, Maps, Flexibility of data displays

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
A lack of direction indicator on the maps. Not being able to overlay maps when using compare.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
0

THANKS!

Thank you.

James

Stefan Lorenz

Dec 4, 2016, 8:21:51 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?

- Analyse ride data and progress.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

- Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

- Import Ride from Zwift, or bike computer device; check the diagrams and trends; compare rides;

4. When else do you use GC ?

- Planning to use it for season planning, e.g. get power peak at estimated date

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

- (user defined) data evaluation and visualisation, creating and doing workouts, activity data tracker and backup;

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

- Understanding and defining CP and W';

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

- Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

- 6 month with power2max; but using GC for longer time with virtual power calclulation...

Stephen Cunningham

Dec 4, 2016, 9:23:59 AM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 8:24:34 AM UTC-5, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

analyze data

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Check power targets before some rides

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Check trends , PMC, Peak power bests, CP

4. When else do you use GC ?

 When I want to set new power goals

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Athlete Bests, PMC

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

The diary tab needs to be better implemented

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Sports Scientist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

3 years

Simon Cirnski

Dec 4, 2016, 3:33:36 PM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?

Cheking data from cycling and running from myself and my trainees.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Usually check data form previous rides/runs.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Analyse every aspcet of the ride. Checking and analyzing all the relevant data from power, HR, Cad to different ratios etc.

4. When else do you use GC ?

I use GC for everything connected to cycling/running. Avg daily usage around 2h.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

- Building costum metrics
- Buidling costum graphs
- Cloud with costum graphs from others
- customatization

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

- Setting data fields, metrics etc for every rider from scratch. I Usually use the same for all my trainees and its waste of time setting them from scratch for new athlete.
- Ahlete height as metric(variabe from options) for User data series
- In newer version, R is hard to use if you have no knowladge of programming language or anything related.
- Automatic backup. Would be nice if GC automatically did the backup at selected time. Preferably to user defined destination (folder) or to cloud.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

5 years.

David Churchill

Dec 4, 2016, 3:55:38 PM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 13:24:34 UTC, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

 Monitor fitness performance and trends

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Used before TTs to see how previous course attempts have gone

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Compare view is used after TT's to see how the ride went compared to previous rides. CP chart is always checked

4. When else do you use GC ?

TSS cahrt checked to see weekly progress

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Ride compare view

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

As a system engineer with C# etc experience, frustrated that I can't get past "basic user" stage. Read the group posts but rarely understand the responses or the wiki. Want to help but don't understand GC enough

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self coached time triallist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

6 years with power

Paul Greenberg

Dec 4, 2016, 10:20:26 PM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 8:24:34 AM UTC-5, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC? I use it for running and biking. I try to analyze my rides and runs using the W' charts. I then upload the data to TP so my coach can see it. I have used the training mode in the past and I am starting to use the compare modes. I liked the Google Streetview feature, which I guess is gone for now :-(  to preview races to scout out the landmarks.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ? very little.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ? download my data, I occasionally merge data files from my garmin and bsx or my garmin and Tacx HRM files so all the data is in one place. I have used some of the correction tools if the data looks off. I look at the charts of the ride and send the data off to TP

4. When else do you use GC ? I use it for running, although GC probably needs a running threshold power different from the bike power (I use a Stryd)

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ? W' charts, critical power calculations, ability to merge/adjust/fix data from various files, workout mode

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ? No real user manual or large faq section, I know there are plenty things I can do, just not sure how to do them.  I can live with the occasional crash.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ? serious age-group athlete with a coach (who says that she does not have the time to learn GC)

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power) about 10 years (over the years I have used: iBike, Power Tap, 4iiii crank sensor)

Overall, I really like the product and use it as my central analysis tool. I like the science basis for the analysis and the lack of black box calculations. I have learned much about my biking and potential strategies by just looking at the W' charts of hard training sessions.  Thank you!

Matthieu Delcourt

Dec 4, 2016, 11:42:10 PM12/4/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?
Lots of graphing for my ride and trends to understand my current fitness and plan future training sessions

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Nothing in particular except memorizing some key numbers for Power, Power zones, VAM.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
45min post ride analysis of: Critical power, W' change over my ride, Critical VAM for any climbing, monthly trends of Critical power for different intervals, check the ATL CTL and TSS to plan my training.

4. When else do you use GC ?
When I'm bored

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
- Critical power comparison or any comparison for that matter (for intervals defined within rides)
- Speed of processing (although slow at syncing everything from my rides directory)
- ATL CTL TSS analysis
- Sliders for time period comparisons (within a ride or in a season for example)

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Some bugs and the lack of Strava segments (I end up using Veloviewer a lot too). Also that when you define a segment in a map, it doesn't recognize that segment for any ride done after that segment has been created on an older ride.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Sports Scientist (but really my hobby)

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
2 weeks with power. Before that 2 years downloading the .gpx Strava file (only way I found to estimate the power using the "Estimate power" tool you guys implemented recently), but then it was just an estimation.

THANKS!
Thanks to you!!!!

Stefan

Dec 5, 2016, 2:35:06 AM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Amending my previous comment:

1) Lack of GIS/spatial filter capabilities

2) Compare capabilities are cumbersome. A distinct UI panel where I can look at my segments would be nice (not bound to an activity)

3) delete several intervals at once (!!! this is super annoying !!!!)

4) Lack of plug-in capabilities (like Sporttracks offers). A plug-in interface that allows access from different programming languages. Building GC is simply too complicated for many.

Paul Greenberg

Dec 5, 2016, 6:58:59 AM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users
I also often use the aero analysis (Chung method) feature for my modeling of time trials.

-Paul

Paul S. Greenberg
30 Owenoke Park
Westport, CT 06880
(203) 253-7436 Mobile

Darren Cope

Dec 5, 2016, 8:58:01 AM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?
Import .fit file after a ride. Add comments (notes, how I was feeling, gear I used, etc.) to some custom fields. Clean up any errant spikes in HR or cadence. Review CP curve. Save ride and upload to Training Peaks, Strava, Ride With GPS, and Cycling Analytics. Look at the map to see where my best power was for each period (1s, 5s, 1 min, 5 min, 30 min, etc.) and see how this compares to my perceived efforts.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Usually nothing. Occasionally I will review a past ride in the same area to remind myself where I'm going, or to get a feel for how hard I would have to go to set a PB on a particular section.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
See 1. above.

4. When else do you use GC ?
Occasional use of Train view with my indoor (non FE-C, sadly) trainer when I can't/don't want to go skiing instead. :) Occasional use to clean up or merge together files for other users, or review a power file with a non GC user.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
 - read any and all types of data (nice!)
 - allow easily customizable views to see the data how you want to see it
 - play nicely with other software packages (Strava, Garmin, etc.)
 - allow you to do all of this for free!

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
 - initial learning curve
 - Aerolab (I've had good intentions of using this, but never have due to being overwhelmed every time I begin)

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 08:24:34 UTC-5, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

4. When else do you use GC ?

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

Darin Alleman

Dec 5, 2016, 9:39:41 AM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 8:24:34 AM UTC-5, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC? Analyze rides and analyze training trends. Ride analysis usually includes checking out intervals, doing quick selections and checking out data from those selections, W' analysis.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ? Nothing...yet.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ? Import ride. Fix any dataspikes (my power meter likes to do a power spike if I do a bunny hop or something).Use the "find intervals" functionality to grab intervals, and then analyze data. Record thoughts, feelings, and stuff in the info part. Then I'll look at how it affected my CTL, ATL, and TSB.

4. When else do you use GC ? I also use it to keep track of my equipment usage. I'll just tag each ride with which bike I used, whether it was on the trainer or not, etc. Then I can use the filtering system and formulas to get total miles/hours/whatever.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ? Analyze rides (both micro and macro levels). Design workouts. Organize, filter, sort, categorize rides.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ? Every time I want to do something new with GC, I have to spend about 30 minutes googling or searching this forum to figure out how to do it. Nothing is really intuitive. It's all there, and it all works, but I couldn't figure it out on my own.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ? Self-coached.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power) 2 years.

Branden Meltingtallow

Dec 5, 2016, 9:57:42 AM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 5:24:34 AM UTC-8, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
Train with sufferfest, analyze rides and segments, view trends

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nada

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Edit work name, add comments, and analyze ride

4. When else do you use GC ?

Just for rides and runs

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Trend Segments for comparisons

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Instability

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self Coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

2 years

markyg

Dec 5, 2016, 1:19:19 PM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 13:24:34 UTC, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

summaries, cp chart, sometiems stress chart,

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

nothing before EVERY ride. sometimes before a partiocularly long or hard ride I would look at the cp for that duration as a target.

3. What do you do after every ride with GC ?

summaries, cp chart, sometimes stress chart,

4. When else do you use GC ?

occasionally live with turbo, I agonise over my power zones

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

auto intervals, cp chart vs ride chart. stress/w'.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

comparison of activities. so I don't do it (I'm sure it's easy).
I can't seem to find the latest up to date user guide. if it's not obvious how to do it then there seems to be no way to figure it out other than ask a forum question.
the bits I use I love and am VERY happy with.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

self coach

John Tobin

Dec 5, 2016, 1:28:32 PM12/5/16
to Mark Liversedge, golden-cheetah-users

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Mostly analyze rides, sometimes look at trends

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nothing before every ride. Sometimes before races look at any similar files to help in assessing power target; if going to train indoors, review & select from available workouts.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Look at summary, ride performance chart (both full plot and by series), look at all peak power metrics and any other interesting intervals, look at W’ usage, CMM chart w/ percentage of best.

4. When else do you use GC ?

Sometimes look at trends charts for summary, CMM for different periods, aerobic & anaerobic power, occasionally look at triscore PMC as a reality check. Sometimes use train mode in winter. Use Navigator in the Diary tab to sort rides. Less frequently, analyze field testing in aerolab.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Super powerful ride analysis

Ride and interval comparison

CP estimating

Aerolab

Automatic interval discovery

No limits to what you can do if you invest the time!

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Learning new features, searching online documentation is clumsy.

Diary tab is not very useful, can’t jump to a ride by clicking in the calendar.

Cumbersome to switch between single chart view (use almost exclusively except for train tab) and multiple chart view; only one multiple chart view available.

Easy to make a mess selecting a bunch of new intervals.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self-coached

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

3.5 years

THANKS!

No, thanks to you and all the GC team! Despite the niggles above, GC is an amazing piece of software, I use it several times a week and I can’t imagine living without it. Have invested a lot of time in learning it and that investment has been more than worth it, can’t say the same about some other options that I’ve used.

John

Menko Johnson

Dec 5, 2016, 1:30:54 PM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
long term fitness tracking, zone-based analysis, intervals analysis, power curve all over time

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
load files, look at power, TSS, avgs and analyze based on what the training objectives were.  Upload to Strava, TrainingPeaks

4. When else do you use GC ?
when analyzing weaknesses and strengths, looking for changes over time or specific training of targeted areas (VO, Anaerobic, Threshold).  Would love to understand fatigue profiling but find it difficult to use currently based on my limited knowledge

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Long term fitness and change tracking, power curve, better/more accessible charting

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Its not easy to use, requires high level of technical expertise, template driven charting would be a huge improvement.  I love its power, but much like an F1 car, high performance, but having access under the hood doesn't make it more accessible to most regular users.  I have gone to paying for CyclingAnalytics simply because I think the layout is simpler, analysis easier, and it does what I want.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Racer, Self-Coached and Team Coach (which is why totally abandoning the TSS/FTP/etc is hard as most coaches are using TP for their athlete management, prescribed workouts, etc)

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
6 years

Menko Johnson

Gareth Enticott

Dec 5, 2016, 1:50:22 PM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users

1. What do you typically do with GC?

use it as an offline repository for all rides; follow PMC and training metrics; identify best intervals

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Check TSS scores / other metrics for specific routes

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Upload data; check ride metrics; identify best intervals (e.g. 20mins)

4. When else do you use GC ?

n/a

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Best interval identification; training metrics/PMC;

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Custom intervals selection - once you've identified added best (e.g.) 20min intervals, to select further intervals (e.g. 3 mins) you have to repeat the whole process. Didn't use to be like that on earlier versions.

Interval comparison a bit awkward sometimes

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self Coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

3 years

Chris Cleeland

Dec 5, 2016, 2:09:08 PM12/5/16
On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Mark Liversedge <liver...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Track individual rides, track in-season metrics, plan.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Nothing.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

post-ride (all):
- import data
- [sometimes] fill out ride details (notes), but it's so tedious that often doesn't happen except for ultra-significant events
- try to remember what "code" I've used for rides like this in the past and typically get it *close* but not exact (suggestions or auto-completion would be nice here)

post-ride (jra):
- look to see what "kind" of ride this was--which systems ended up being targeted
- spec out some "interesting" aspects of the ride (e.g., if there was a sprint for city limit sign on a group ride or a hefty climb)

post-ride (race):
- slice up race into segments/intervals while still fresh in my head; mark significant events within the race
- if something adverse happened in the race (e.g., dropped from break), find that point and reverse-analyze data for possible explanations and actionable forward-looking training info

post-ride (structured):
- ensure that training goals were met

post-ride (all):
- look at composite metrics (trends) and see how things are progress based on goals
- [note] "goals" are only in my head as I have no idea if there's a way to establish and track progress towards goals within GC

4. When else do you use GC ?

Reviewing season happenings, especially data from races, for opportunities to focus training.  Sometimes this verifies intuition, while others it points out something far more interesting.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

In no particular order:
1. import and assign "human" metadata to rides (narrative of race, rider-recognized intervals, etc.)
2. establish goals and track trends towards those goals (e.g., I want to hit CTL 'X" by date "Q" and focus on systems/interval durations X, Y , Z)
3. play what-if training scenarios for goals to enable planning
4. easily apply user-defined transformations to data/datasets
5. easily create new charts

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

I find the UI tiresome--it "feels" like a collection of discrete command line tools with a GUI sometimes.  It also doesn't have any real "flow" to it, and actions/features are often hidden in places (tiny pull-down arrows that aren't easy to notice) and only available in certain contexts.

Using Cmd-S on the mac doesn't actually save the ride.  I can't figure out how to save an edit to a ride other than quitting and telling it "yes".

Non-trainingpeaks metrics are not easy to understand for a beginner both in terms of what they track and how to integrate those metrics into overall trends. The kind of thing that I think is missing is something similar to the original "Power 411" that Coggan/Hunter did for the trainingpeaks metrics.  Scientific papers are not what I would call "accessible" to people who just want to know how to apply the metrics.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self-coached.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

Data since 2004/2005.

Will

Dec 5, 2016, 3:50:42 PM12/5/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?

1)  I'm a big user of train view with my Kickr.  I use ERG files primarily, but also RLVs and Sufferfest.
2)  Analyze trends in MMP/CP chart, track stress, look at routes and segments.
3)  Make new charts, monkey around with settings.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

80-90% of the time, I don't look at GC ahead of time, but sometimes I look at the MMP curve if I'm looking for a ballpark goal for a given time duration (segment hunting, for example), or I'll check my current stress numbers.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Upload to Strava, check power numbers in terms of overall zone distribution and how I did on a given segment if that was a goal.  If it's an indoor interval effort I look at how I did on those intervals and occasionally use the interval compare pane.

4. When else do you use GC ?

Mainly for analysis of how I'm doing and how it compares to previous seasons.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

1) Being the only true open platform for training data.  That's the huge #1.
2) Awesome train view that is always improving.
3) Best workout editor available.
4) Great for analysis, once you learn what you are doing.
5) Very powerful Aerolab, though could be more intuitive.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

1) There is a fairly steep learning curve, and it is not always laid out how to do something, but I have always been able to figure out how to do something with some effort.
2) The delete multiple intervals thing was an annoyance to me, though in another thread it was pointed out by Ale that it can be done.... and I didn't know that after 4 years of use and tinkering.
3) Aerolab could be made more intuitive.
4) Editing video overlays in train view would be nice (I know it's in process)

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Serious recreational cyclist for 17 years, power-based for 4 years, dabbling in local TTs.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

4 years.

THANKS!

Thank you, Mark and team!!  GC is an amazing piece of software and it is always improving.

Will

Tim

Dec 6, 2016, 8:02:15 AM12/6/16
to golden-cheetah-users

1. What do you typically do with GC?

Import .fit file from Garmin / Upload to Strava / Add notes to custom fields / Create / inspect intervals in file / Check PMC / Check CP Curve / Use Aerolab when aero testing

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
See 1.

4. When else do you use GC ?
Occasionally when planning training however I prefer to track / plan training in Excel

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Better than cloud services
Large choice of metrics / graphs
Open source
Upload facilities

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Miniature scroll bars
Occasional crashes
Aerolab not retaining environmental data
CP Modelling
UX

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational self coached cyclist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
7 years

Will

Dec 6, 2016, 11:16:59 AM12/6/16
to golden-cheetah-users
I'd agree with the Aerolab comment -- if it can retain environmental data, utilize wind direction data from FIT files, and/or automatically download that information, that would all be very helpful.  Making it easier to mark laps, perhaps by setting the lap as a segment and having the software recognize that, would be very helpful as well.  Aerolab is a major feature of GC, but underutilized.

Also, I'm seeing people note that Strava has an easy to follow UX -- it's easy to drag and zoom in on a part of a ride, and I'd agree.  GC is much more powerful than Strava, but some design cues from Strava are really nice.  Maybe using a right-click-drag to set a new lap or segment instead, so the left click drag can be used for quick zooming?  Allowing the map to be visible along with the ride plot is definitely helpful, as noted by others as well.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Miniature scroll bars
Aerolab not retaining environmental data
CP Modelling
UX

Evgeny Frolov

Dec 7, 2016, 1:57:07 PM12/7/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. Estimate power values, count hour per season\week\period, analyse performance charts
2. Nothing
3. Upload, if needed estimate power, check bests values, check cp curve, check pmc chart, stress chart, w' bal chart for ride
4. Sometimes training with my smart trainer
5. Planning, planning, planning!
6. Interface somewhere non-user-friendly (left side bar, options especially data fields), first time hard to understand it is a bug or feature
7. Self Coach
8. If winter with smart trainer is counted then second year.

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

4. When else do you use GC ?

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

Mario Piccoli

Dec 8, 2016, 8:18:31 AM12/8/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?

It depends on the workout : analyse w' bal and work above cp, estimate cp via cp solver, analyse trends in kpi, total hours .

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Sometimes I recall the last average power during intervals

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Refer to n 1)

4. When else do you use GC ?

Sometimes to analyse the trends in training (hours, km, training load )

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Estimate cp, the power curve, compare different seasons / wko/ effors/ etc,

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

No one actually

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

5 years

RichA

Dec 8, 2016, 11:07:33 AM12/8/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 13:24:34 UTC, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
Track rides, power, TSS

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Load rides, note stats

4. When else do you use GC ?
Check PMC

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
NP, TSS, PMC, Critcal Pwr

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
UX, Updating the SW, setting up screens/views/charts/stats

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
6yrs

Yancey Arrington

Dec 9, 2016, 2:17:59 AM12/9/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?
Review race and training files for interval/effort information to gain insight into race requirements and fitness tracking. Secondary, fitness profiling, training stress tracking, fitness modeling (CP and Wbal)

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Nothing, GC is used as a post analysis tool 1-3 times a week.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
After every 2-5 rides I download and examine ride/race files for efforts/intervals.

4. When else do you use GC ?
Very occasionally I use it to review historical ride files from previous races.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
-Auto effort marking
-Effort searching within workout
-Fitness modeling and stress tracking.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
-Obfuscated features within options menu (figuring out how to display NP and L/R balance within the ride review tab).
-Navigating the calender and a top level overview of what was done when. I am poor at adding metadata into my ride files.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Self coach enthusiast masters cyclist.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
8 years.

pschriver

Dec 9, 2016, 7:14:20 AM12/9/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?

I don't use it as much now but I used it to gather data in train mode and create graphs to make sure I was hitting my intervals. I would also use it for analysis after.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

Turn it to train and make sure my devices at synched. Put on a video or Zwift and ride

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Save, upload to Strava/Training Peaks

4. When else do you use GC ?

I occasionally look at aerolab

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Price
Control of my own data
Reliable (Not dependent on web access)
Great analysis tools

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

Setup has been a pain at times on Linux
I have never succeeded in viewing videos without having to open a separate window

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

I am in the medical profession and have a special interest in health and wellness. I have been coached but am currently self-coached. I consider myself a self taught sport scientest and have been a volunteer lab rat in the past.

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

I have been training with power long before powermeters were affordable. I would guess 8-10 years. My interest increased with GC V3 and the use of virtual power with a GSC-10 and fluid trainer.

I'm not sure if you want added feedback but I also consider myself a triathlete. I have discovered a CSAFE port on my Precor treadmill. It is an older but solid unit. I understand that gyms had controllers for their treadmills. I think it would be awesome if GC could exploit the data from the treadmills much like it has for cycling

Russell Brown

Dec 9, 2016, 10:57:56 AM12/9/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 1:24:34 PM UTC, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
PMC
Ride analysis
Race analysis

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Nothing, maybe check CTL/ATL/TSB (but usually that's in my programme anyway)

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Upload data, write about ride in notes, have a look at TSS, CTL/ATL, time in zones etc

4. When else do you use GC ?
At the end of the week
To check my history (like TSS per hour over the year, CTL ramp rate per month etc etc)

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
PMC
Parse and present FIT file for analysis
Other charting
Find intervals
Compare intervals/sections

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
I have loads of issues on os x: crashing whenever I add more than 1 ride. Crashing if I try and add a custom chart, every slow to update the display on the latest release.
All the issues are around usability, stability, docs and polish. The power is there, so I ignore all the rough edges.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Self coached recreational club level time trialist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
~8 years

THANKS!

Thank you! It's a great piece of software, one of the few things I use _everyday_.

Steve Mansfield

Dec 10, 2016, 12:37:51 AM12/10/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?

Import Garmin files, check and fix errors, check training balance, did I hit any new power levels

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

usually nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

Import Garmin files, check and fix errors, check training balance, did I hit any new power levels, note TRIMP, TISS, ATISS and NP and copy to a spreadsheet that I maintain using Veloviewer data

4. When else do you use GC ?

To check historical data and trends

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

In no particular order
Auto calculation of all those metrics
Trends such as stress balance
Ability to edit out errors
Custom graphs
Track CP etc

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

The interface is hard to navigate. Even 2 years later I only use a few functions - there's a lot more I don't use because either I can't find it or don't know how to use it

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

Self coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

2 years

THANKS!

wl13...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2016, 5:05:02 AM12/11/16
to golden-cheetah-users

Am Samstag, 3. Dezember 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1 schrieb Mark Liversedge:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

import Data from my devices and use the training mode

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

nothing special

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

import my Data and whatch the summary and the chart with W bal,  Power, heatrate, cadence and  speed.

4. When else do you use GC ?

sometimes to edit workouts (very nice feature)

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

numerical rise or low the power in the training mode. Not to use the unexact arrrows or the slider bar

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

self coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

3

Mario Crisafulli

Dec 12, 2016, 3:54:32 AM12/12/16
to golden-cheetah-users

Il giorno sabato 3 dicembre 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1, Mark Liversedge ha scritto:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
- Analyse latest ride and compare performance to previous ones, verify PMC, analize performance trends

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
- Nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
- Analyze ride (TSS, IF, zones, etc...) , check peaks and intervals and compare to past intervals, see if the CP curve has changed and verify how the training efforts stand against the CP,

4. When else do you use GC ?
- Analyze my performance and training plans across the month; see how I stand compared to other seasons

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
- Interval discovery, compare activities & intervals, ability to customize graphs easily even with no programming skills

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
- Can't find a proper use of the diary tab

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
- Coach/Self coach (I follow a predefined training plan, but I adapt it to myself :) )

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

4 years

Giulio Morelli

Dec 12, 2016, 11:31:47 AM12/12/16
to golden-cheetah-users
1. What do you typically do with GC?
Data analysis, Data storage of my athletes

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Sometimes I analyze the old ride to do better

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
the data download

4. When else do you use GC ?
Analysis, analysis and analysis :-)

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

Charts, comparisons and ...customize

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Research and formulas. Sometimes there are bugs that send him KO (I work on windows 10)

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Coach. But I like to study physiology in endurance sports

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
12 years (from 2004)

Daniele

Il giorno sabato 3 dicembre 2016 14:24:34 UTC+1, Mark Liversedge ha scritto:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

4. When else do you use GC ?

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

borut....@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2016, 12:52:17 PM12/12/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 2:24:34 PM UTC+1, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?

analyse ride

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?

nothing

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?

upload data and analyze ride by segments

4. When else do you use GC ?

see my progress

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?

ride, cp, map, stress, train

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?

nothing specific

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?

recreational and sports scientist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)

Hugh English

Dec 14, 2016, 10:46:10 AM12/14/16
to golden-cheetah-users

*** I'm still on v3.3 ****

1. What do you typically do with GC?
Analyse training & races, track form and fitness changes. Keep notes on fatigue/illness/injury, bike fit/adjustments.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride?
Not often, but estimate interval power target for upcoming session.

3. What do you do after every ride with GC ?
Manual upload, clean data spikes/gaps. Analyse intervals, check for sustained efforts/time in zones. Check CP curve. Check appropriateness of current CP/W'. Track fatigue metrics inc PMC. Track power bests.

4. When else do you use GC?
Periodically to review blocks of training/plan current blocks.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
CP curve. W'bal tracking. Interval finding & tracking.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
Weight tracking - would be better to have a time system similar to the FTP/CP/w'/Pmax. settings
Recently tried Today's Plan for a month - it was generally poor but had a chart of power meter battery level. which I really miss.
Inability to plan future workouts/training blocks/stress.
Can't access data/analytics remotely.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Self coach

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
2 years

Ron George

Dec 14, 2016, 1:59:47 PM12/14/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello Mark,

My replies in Blue.

1. What do you typically do with GC?
 Upload .tcx files from my Polar V800 , to populate workouts and get a reading of PMC Trimp and PMC Coggan.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
    Could refer to it mildly  but nothing major.

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Upload .tcx file manually, save, analyze PMC charts. After a race or an interval session, I find FTP, get an idea of TSS or look at interval by interval data.

4. When else do you use GC ?
Independant calculators such as Daniel's pace zones are handy after a 5K running time trial to see how zones have changed. Sometimes (very rarely), I go into edit mode to know torque values from my powermeter to see if there are any anomalous readings. I also have tried to estimate CdA using Chung method but have miserably failed at arriving at a reasonable number. Frankly, I do not know how to use it correctly.

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
1. Comparison feature is a 'bright idea' from GC developers. Love the ON OFF toggle switch and the tick boxes while overlaying graphical data from multiple workouts in the compare pane.
    2. Graphing capabilities such as frequency distribution of HR and power are helpful
    3. The ability to manage the data and performance of multiple athletes.

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
    1. The default user interface.appears like a messy office desk
    2. Lack of sufficient documentation on best practices - tips and tricks on how real users find and use each tool within GC.

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
 Self coach and part scientist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
 1 season

Peter Riegersperger

Dec 16, 2016, 2:18:05 AM12/16/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Good morning everyone!

I did an analysis of the answers provided in this thread and compiled them into a short report. If you did answer outside of the timeframe mentioned (3.12. - 10.12.) you answers are not included in this report, but they will be read and taken into account.

The goal of this analysis was to find some common patterns in the answers, and to see what can be learned from them. This survey gave some very valuable insights into what you are using GC for, what you like about it, and what sucks. It’s a great base to start from; Next step will be doing something similar with current non-users (to find out what is important to them, and why they are not using GC) and based on that maybe a short follow-up survey back on this list.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments,

cheers,

peter
survey_results.pdf

Mike

Dec 16, 2016, 3:33:54 AM12/16/16
to golden-cheetah-users

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 21:24:34 UTC+8, Mark Liversedge wrote:
Please respond here in this thread, It should take you no more than 5 minutes.

Please take this chance to provide feedback and shape future development

1. What do you typically do with GC?
Train Mode - some interval comparison, W'bal analysis of races.

2. What do you do with GC before every ride ?
Setup train mode for indoor riding/session required. Nothing for outdoor rides

3. What do yo do after every ride with GC ?
Click Save on train mode/close GC. Nothing for outdoor rides

4. When else do you use GC ?
Randomly when checking training sessions/races

5. If you had to pick the top 3-5 things that GC does what would they be ?
Train mode, interval analysis, tracking metrics over time (CP, W'bal, VO2max)

6. What part of GC do you find most difficult and/or annoying ?
building from source, train mode workout creator (its fixed but i cant build 4.0)

7. Would you describe yourself predominantly as Recreational, Coach/Self Coach or Sports Scientist ?
Recreational - wanna be Sports Scientist

8. How long have you trained with power ? (Answer 0 years if you don't train with power)
~1 year
This conversation is locked