Minor issues on the UI

Potuz

Jan 12, 2017, 9:41:34 AM1/12/17
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Hello, here are a couple of things that bug me on the daily use of the
UI. I am not sure if opening an issue @ github about them, but I send
them here just in case.

I'm running build 3955 on linux. I do not use a desktop environment and
run a bare X system with fvwm as a windows manager.

1) The windows for chart settings are always opened with corners outside of
the visible screen and since they do not have decorations I cannot move
them by dragging with the mouse. This is due to ignoring the size hints
from the windows manager. FVWM logs this:

[fvwm][GetWindowSizeHints]: <<WARNING>> The application window (id 0x2000021)
"Chart Settings" has broken size hints (max_width).
fvwm is ignoring those hints. hint override = 0, flags = 233
min_width = 604, min_height = 715, max_width = 450, max_height = 600
width_inc = 0, height_inc = 0
min_aspect = 0/0, max_aspect = 0/0
base_width = 0, base_height = 0
win_gravity = 10

And similar every time that I open such a settings. The workaround that
I have is to either use keyboard shortcuts to move the raised windows or
maximize it and then resize it back.

2) The calendar on the side panel, both in Activities or Dairy views
lacks a scroll bar. I can see the activities highlighted for the
current month and subsequent months and I can select those activities
by clicking on the date. However I cannot select an activity in the
past. I cannot use the keyboard to switch from one date to the other
one (the arrows seem not to do anything).

3) Related to 2), in order to be able to see past months I have to
go to the activities side-panel (there is a scrollbar there) and
scroll to an activity in the past, click on it and it will also
switch the active month in the "calendar" side panel. I can scroll on
the activities side panel and then click on one to select, but I
cannot browse through them with the keyboard. Something odd happens.
If I double click on one activity and select it, if I hit the up or
down arrow once it will switch to the previous or next activity, but
if I hit any arrow further nothing will happen.

Best,

P.
signature.asc

Mark Liversedge

Jan 12, 2017, 9:54:31 AM1/12/17
to golden-cheetah-users
On Thursday, 12 January 2017 14:41:34 UTC, Potuz wrote:
[...]

The window position is left to the window manager !

2) The calendar on the side panel, both in Activities or Dairy views
   lacks a scroll bar. I can see the activities highlighted for the
   current month and subsequent months and I can select those activities
   by clicking on the date. However I cannot select an activity in the
   past. I cannot use the keyboard to switch from one date to the other
   one (the arrows seem not to do anything).

The arrows move back and forward in time, to the oldest and newest activity.
If you have no activities forward or back they will appear to do nothing.

3) Related to 2), in order to be able to see past months I have to
   go to the activities side-panel (there is a scrollbar there) and
   scroll to an activity in the past, click on it and it will also
   switch the active month in the "calendar" side panel. I can scroll on
   the activities side panel and then click on one to select, but I
   cannot browse through them with the keyboard. Something odd happens.
   If I double click on one activity and select it, if I hit the up or
   down arrow once it will switch to the previous or next activity, but
   if I hit any arrow further nothing will happen.

What chart is showing when you are interacting with the ride list?

Mark

Potuz

Jan 12, 2017, 11:19:32 AM1/12/17
to golden-cheetah-users
On Jan 12, Mark Liversedge wrote:

> [fvwm][GetWindowSizeHints]: <<WARNING>> The application window (id
> 0x2000021)
>   "Chart Settings" has broken size hints (max_width).
>     fvwm is ignoring those hints.    hint override = 0, flags = 233
>   min_width = 604, min_height = 715, max_width = 450, max_height = 600
>   width_inc = 0, height_inc = 0
>   min_aspect = 0/0, max_aspect = 0/0
>   base_width = 0, base_height = 0
>   win_gravity = 10
>
> The window position is left to the window manager !

The problem is the size hints: the application is requesting a min_width
of 604 and a max_width of 450. A quick browse at the code and it seems
that the window is being set in src/Charts/ChartSettings.cpp by

setWindowTitle(tr("Chart Settings"));
setAttribute(Qt::WA_DeleteOnClose);
setWindowFlags(windowFlags() | Qt::WindowCloseButtonHint);
setModal(true);

which doesn't seem harmful so I don't know why QT is requesting those
impossible limits. Anyway I am sure not to get any help from Thomas Adam
at FVWM who is notoriously difficult and he will typically answer like
this example:

"Fvwm is ignoring those hints. If you are having a problem
with the application, send this message to the application owner.

There's your hint. in these situations, there is nothing FVWM should
and could do."

> The arrows move back and forward in time, to the oldest and newest
> activity.
> If you have no activities forward or back they will appear to do nothing.

I do have activities both backwards and forward, arrows do nothing on my
UI (or rather they do little as explained in 3) above).

> What chart is showing when you are interacting with the ride list?
> Mark

This phenomenon happens on every single chart.

Best,

P.
signature.asc

Mark Liversedge

Jan 12, 2017, 11:55:07 AM1/12/17
to golden-cheetah-users
On Thursday, 12 January 2017 16:19:32 UTC, Potuz wrote:
The problem is the size hints: the application is requesting a min_width
of 604 and a max_width of 450.

Tab.cpp was setting that max width, I've changed it to 650.

Mark