Head wind field in fit files

Simon Brewer

Feb 8, 2016, 7:47:07 PM2/8/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Since late last year, I now have a head-wind field appearing in my input fit files.  I don't have any device that could generate that sort of data.  The data appears in the 'edit' tab, which I understand is the raw data from the device.

I have a Garmin Edge 1000.  I can't remember if this happened after a Garmin update.  Is this something anyone else has seen?  Is this is a bug in GC?

Is Garmin doing some sort of head wind estimation on their device?

Simon Brewer

Feb 8, 2016, 8:30:55 PM2/8/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Ok, after reading the code it looks like this comes from the weather forecast information in the FIT file.  The wind direction and speed is compared to direction of the rider, and from there a calculation is made of the perceived head-wind.

So the head-wind field does not come from the device itself, but is derived.

Simon Brewer

Feb 8, 2016, 11:37:49 PM2/8/16
to golden-cheetah-users
Ok.  I don't have any weather forecast information, but I am still getting a headwind calculation.  It looks like this is relatively new addition to the development tree (early December).

I think I might move this over to the -devel list.