Go Parallel Programming Summer Course

Didier

Mar 20, 2013, 6:09:39 PM3/20/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com
Hej gophers!

We are a student association at KTH, BEST ( http://www.beststockholm.se/ ) and we are organizing a 10 days course on parallel programming with Go this summer.
We will have 22 students coming from all over Europe to learn on this topic. Our lecturer will be professor Stefan Nilsson which gave a talk at the meetup in November.

I'm coming to you today because we are looking for opportunities to make our event more immersive for our participants, such as meeting with actual Go-lovers!

So if you look forward to spread Go among european students, we are open to any ideas or collaboration that would fit into our event :-D
What about a meetup in June?
If you have good ideas, feel free to reply to this thread!

...And if you're working with Go at your company and want to get in touch with students interested in Go: we've got partnerships opportunities for you, so let me know ;-)

In any case, if you want to know more about our course, here is our event webpage: http://www.beststockholm.se/SC13/#

Martin Bruse

Mar 20, 2013, 7:12:27 PM3/20/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Didier!

I am the organizer of the Meetup group GoStockholm, and I would love
to set up a Meetup in June when you have your course.

Do you think you could talk Stefan into giving a talk for the Meetup?
His talk last time was really good, and I am sure it would be easy to
get people to come if he talked.

If you wanted to provide a venue as well, it would be even better -
even if that problem is simpler to solve (lots of companies seem to
want to host these things, even if few have speakers of substance..)

I also work at a company that will want to hire Go programmers, so we
may do some recruiting at the same time :)

If anyone else on this list is interested in this, please give a shout!

Otherwise you can just reply to me personally Didier, and we can
arrange and prepare the Meetup.

best regards,
Martin

Didier

Mar 21, 2013, 9:48:54 AM3/21/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com
Hej Martin!

Awesome news!

Stefan will be giving us lectures during our whole course already. For us it would be really nice to hear about what cool stuff you guys are doing with Go outside in the real world. Aren't you yourself the creator of the god database? ;-)
Anyway, we will talk with Stefan to see if he's ready to give a talk at the Meetup, but it would be nice to have other lecturers also.

For the venue, we are asking KTH if we can get an auditorium for free as a student association (how many people can we expect? 50? 70?). I'll tell you as soon as we know.

Would a date between the 10th and 14th of June be ok for you for the Meetup?

We've no candidates for your company to hire, but what about having a networking event (unrelated with the Meetup) with students interested in Go at KTH?
Stefan Nilsson is currently giving a course ( http://www.kth.se/student/kurser/kurs/DD1396 ) on parallel programming with Go with 300 students attending. That means there is for you the opportunity to further spread interest about Go and your company among at least 300 students. What do you think?

Of course, if anyone else on this list is interested in this, feel free to participate!

Martin Bruse

Mar 21, 2013, 10:02:04 AM3/21/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Didier
<didier.loui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hej Martin!
>
> Awesome news!
>
> Stefan will be giving us lectures during our whole course already. For us it
> would be really nice to hear about what cool stuff you guys are doing with
> Go outside in the real world. Aren't you yourself the creator of the god
> database? ;-)

Yes, I am, but I have presented it once and will do so again at the
gtug in April... I'm sure people aren't interested in hearing about it
on every Meetup they attend ;)

> Anyway, we will talk with Stefan to see if he's ready to give a talk at the
> Meetup, but it would be nice to have other lecturers also.

Yeah, it's just that if I have one speaker and a venue I know that I
can get more speakers and attendants - so it's more about reaching the
critical mass of activities.

But I have a few other speakers lined up, that I think can come forward.

> For the venue, we are asking KTH if we can get an auditorium for free as a
> student association (how many people can we expect? 50? 70?). I'll tell you
> as soon as we know.

Last time at Valtech we had about 50-60 people attending. If you just
add your student attendants to that you will know what to expect. Just
try to book a few extra seats, one never knows :D

I might get my employer to sponsor the event with food and beverages
as well, but no promises.

> Would a date between the 10th and 14th of June be ok for you for the Meetup?

Certainly, I am not particular when we are planning so far ahead.

> We've no candidates for your company to hire, but what about having a
> networking event (unrelated with the Meetup) with students interested in Go
> at KTH?

Ah, what I meant was that I would do a short recruitment spiel at the
Meetup. I would hope that KTH students interested in Go would come to
the Meetup :)

> Stefan Nilsson is currently giving a course (
> http://www.kth.se/student/kurser/kurs/DD1396 ) on parallel programming with
> Go with 300 students attending. That means there is for you the opportunity
> to further spread interest about Go and your company among at least 300
> students. What do you think?

I don't think we are ready to arrange such a networking event (I have
no idea what it would entail, to be honest), and as I said I hope
those of the 300 students that are interested would attend the
Meetup..

> Of course, if anyone else on this list is interested in this, feel free to
> participate!

Please! :D

best regards,
Martin

Didier

Mar 22, 2013, 7:04:48 AM3/22/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com
> I don't think we are ready to arrange such a networking event (I have
> no idea what it would entail, to be honest), and as I said I hope
> those of the 300 students that are interested would attend the
> Meetup..

Too bad ^^

Anyway, I'm coming back to you as soon as we have news from Stefan ;-)

Martin Bruse

Mar 22, 2013, 8:53:14 AM3/22/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com
Great!

Hope to hear from you soon :D

Didier

Mar 27, 2013, 12:06:37 PM3/27/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com
Stefan is in to give a lecture at the meetup :-)

I'm still waiting on an answer for the auditorium (not before the 2nd of april).

Martin Bruse

Mar 27, 2013, 12:08:56 PM3/27/13
to golang-s...@googlegroups.com

Great!

Only things I need now are date, location and title+synopsis of Stefans talk :)