Rob Pike

Craig Anslow

Aug 21, 2011, 7:14:26 PM8/21/11
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Rob Pike is a regular to the Google Sydney office and has expressed interest in making it to New Zealand. I heard he travels there for a couple of months every year during the winter of the US. He would be an ideal person to get to speak at the Go User Group.

Google initially offered Rob to speak at a conference I organised last year in Wellington, but unfortunately he had to pull out at the last minute. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to help get Rob to New Zealand.
http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Events/NZCSRSC2010/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pike

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Craig
PhD Student
School of Engineering and Computer Science
Victoria University of Wellington
http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~craig

Andrew Chilton

Aug 21, 2011, 7:19:58 PM8/21/11
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

On 22 August 2011 11:14, Craig Anslow <craig....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob Pike is a regular to the Google Sydney office and has expressed interest
> in making it to New Zealand. I heard he travels there for a couple of months
> every year during the winter of the US. He would be an ideal person to get
> to speak at the Go User Group.

Yeah, that sounds like he's a good candidate.

> Google initially offered Rob to speak at a conference I organised last year
> in Wellington, but unfortunately he had to pull out at the last minute.
> Please let me know if I can be of assistance to help get Rob to New Zealand.
> http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Events/NZCSRSC2010/

I've been speaking to Andrew Gerrand who is also over in Google in
Sydney and has co-presented a number of talks with Rob over the course
of the last couple of years. I chatted to him before and since
starting the group and he has said that if we get the 'numbers', he's
also happy to come over and do a talk. Once I have a rough estimate of
people turning up (after the first meeting), I'll continue chatting to
Andrew and see if he's keen. I won't promise anything for the first
meeting but will hopefully get someone (maybe Andrew or Rob) sometime
in the near future.

Thanks for your suggestion and I'll keep chatting to you about what's
happening - getting both of them over would probably be overkill, but
one of them would be great. :)

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andrew Chilton
e: chi...@appsattic.com

Craig Anslow

Aug 21, 2011, 9:56:36 PM8/21/11
to golang-nz, d...@ecs.vuw.ac.nz

On Aug 22, 11:19 am, Andrew Chilton <chi...@appsattic.com> wrote:
> Hi Craig,

Hi Andy

If you want to arrange a room at the university then speak to David
Pearce. He will be arrange something for you. Dave currently helps
organise some of the Java User Group meetings as well and organises
rooms at Victoria.
http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~djp/

Dave also co-manages the Programming Languages Research group at
Victoria as well.
http://www.elvis.ac.nz/Main/ProgrammingLanguages

Previously I had considered looking at establishing a Google Technical
Users Group in 2009 and 2010. I had inquired with my colleagues in
Sydney and the US about this. I didn't get much interest in Wellington
to do it at the time. Plus GTUGS were only just being established
around then. This would probably be the thing to do rather than focus
just on one of the Google product / projects on offering, i.e. Go. I
now see the Aucklanders have set up one and their first meeting is
next month. It looks like it might be a good time to start one in
Wellington! However, I have been subsumed with organising conferences
and doing research. It doesn't leave time for much else. Good luck!
http://www.gtugs.org/

Ironically we have one member of staff who works for Google, Professor
Bastian Kleijn but also has a teaching role at Victoria. His company
was purchased by Google.
http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Main/BastiaanKleijn

There is also another visitor visitor at ECS from Google, Josh Bailey,
at the moment who is working with Andy Linton. He gave a seminar about
the Google Measurement Lab.
http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Events/Seminars?rm=details&id=751

Cheers Craig
http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~craig

Andrew Chilton

Aug 21, 2011, 10:36:21 PM8/21/11
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

On 22 August 2011 13:56, Craig Anslow <craig....@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to arrange a room at the university then speak to David
> Pearce. He will be arrange something for you. Dave currently helps
> organise some of the Java User Group meetings as well and organises
> rooms at Victoria.
> http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~djp/

That's a great idea. I'm currently in discussion about using a place
at the moment but if that falls through I'll take you up on the offer.
Thanks.

> I now see the Aucklanders have set up one and their first meeting is
> next month. It looks like it might be a good time to start one in
> Wellington!

Yeah, I saw that GTUGS had just started in Auckland. Someone else
suggested doing the a more generic Google one in Wgtn too but I'd like
to keep this group for just the Go language since I think its scope is
actually much broader than just Google stuff (no matter how big Google
get). I see that Sydney has both a Sydney GTUG and a Sydney Gophers
groups so I'm happy that we'll get enough interest and enough topics
to talk about even if someone starts a GTUG here too. Also, sometimes
my interest in various Google products waxes and wanes (not sure about
other people) but my interest in languages continues on. :)

I'll get back to you soon or djp regarding the offer of places soon I hope.