Calling a Windows DLL with golang.org/x/sys/windows instead of syscall

Shy Robbiani

Jun 30, 2016, 2:36:12 PM6/30/16
to golang-nuts
The Wiki contains an article about "Calling a Windows DLL" (https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/WindowsDLLs) using syscall. I used this many times since I started working with Go.

Now, in the syscall package documentation I read that syscall has been locked down and instead of syscall the appropriate packages in golang.org/x/sys should be used. Regarding the article mentioned above it means that any import of "syscall" should be replaced by "golang.org/x/sys/windows".

Is my assumption right and is the documentation in the wiki just missing an update? (I'm not sure the Wiki is open to the public for changes - even the changes worked perfectly for me I didn't dare to make changes in the Wiki without prior acceptance anyway)

Ian Lance Taylor

Jun 30, 2016, 5:37:05 PM6/30/16
to Shy Robbiani, golang-nuts
The syscall package is frozen for new functionality, but the existing
functionality is intended to keep working. If the syscall package
works today to call a Windows DLL (which as far as I know it does)
then that will continue to work going forward.

Ian