weekly.2012-03-22 (Go 1 RC2)

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 22, 2012, 10:20:47 PM3/22/12
to golang-nuts
We've just tagged a new Go weekly, weekly.2012-03-22.

As with last week's snapshot, this snapshot is another Go 1 release candidate.
A notable change in this snapshot are Windows installer fixes.

Documentation for this snapshot is available here:
 http://weekly.golang.org/

As usual, you can update by running:
 hg pull
 hg update weekly

Or you may wish to install a pre-compiled binary release by following
the installation instructions here:
 http://weekly.golang.org/doc/install

The files are available here:
 http://code.google.com/p/go/downloads/list?sort=summary

We want to make sure that new users have the best experience possible,
so please let us know if you have any issues with installation, the
documentation, or using the tools after installation.

Please leave feedback (both positive and negative) in the issue
tracker entry relevant to your operating system and architecture:

http://golang.org/issue/3210 darwin-386
http://golang.org/issue/3208 darwin-amd64
http://golang.org/issue/3212 freebsd-386
http://golang.org/issue/3213 freebsd-amd64
http://golang.org/issue/3209 linux-386
http://golang.org/issue/3211 linux-amd64
http://golang.org/issue/3214 windows-386
http://golang.org/issue/3215 windows-amd64

Make sure you tell us the version of the operating system you use.

Changes in this snapshot:
* 5l, 6l, 8l: fix stack split logic for stacks near default segment size.
* archive/zip: move r.zip off disk, into reader_test.go.
* build: catch API changes during build,
       do more during windows build (thanks Alex Brainman),
       lengthen timeout for the lengthy runtime test (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       unset GOPATH before tests (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* cmd/cgo: add support for function export for gccgo (thanks Rémy Oudompheng),
       fix handling of errno for gccgo.
* cmd/go: add -fno-common by default on Darwin (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       don't add detail to errPrintedOutput,
       fix directory->import path conversion,
       make build errors more visible,
       use .o, not .{5,6,8}, for gccgo created object files,
       work around occasional ETXTBSY running cgo.
* cmd/godoc: add toys, tour button to playground,
       inform users that the playground doesn't work via local godoc,
       style example headings like links,
       use *goroot as base path in zip file,
       use FormatText for formating code in html template,
       use shorter titles for tabs.
* cmd/gofmt: show ascii in usage (thanks Yasuhiro Matsumoto).
* cmd/pack: also recognize '\\' as path separator in filenames (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* crypto/tls: always send a Certificate message if one was requested.
* doc/install: remove reference to "Go Tutorial" (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* doc/play: use []rune instead of []int (thanks Yasuhiro Matsumoto).
* doc: add Go Concurrency Patterns: Timing out, moving on article (thanks Francisco Souza),
       add Go image/draw package article and convert code snippets to Go1,
       add Gobs of data article (thanks Francisco Souza),
       add Godoc: documenting Go code article (thanks Francisco Souza),
       add JSON and Go article (thanks Francisco Souza),
       general update of gccgo installation instructions,
       minor updates to most docs.
* flag: add examples.
* gc: fix struct and array comparisons for new bool rules (thanks Anthony Martin),
       use quoted string format in import error,
       when expanding append inline, preserve arguments.
* go/build: clarify why we exclude files starting with '_' or '.' (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       clearer argument name for Import (src -> srcDir),
       do not report Target for local imports,
       fix match.
* go/printer, gofmt: fix multi-line logic.
* html/template: add Templates and XXXEscape functions,
       fix nil pointer bug,
       fix panic on Clone.
* io/ioutil: fix crash when Stat fails.
* make.bat: fix for old files (thanks Christopher Redden),
       don't show error message if old generated files do not exist (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       properly handle directories with spaces (thanks Alex Brainman).
* misc/cgo/gmp: update for Go 1 (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* misc/dashboard: remove old python package dashboard.
* misc/dist: don't ship cmd/cov or cmd/prof,
       force modes to 0755 or 0644 in tarballs,
       remove exp and old before building.
* misc/vim: restore fileencodings (thanks Yasuhiro Matsumoto).
* net/http: couple more triv.go modernizations,
       ensure triv.go compiles and runs (thanks Robert Hencke).
* net: drop unnecessary type assertions and fix leak in test (thanks Mikio Hara).
* os: IsNotExist() should also consider ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND on Windows (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       do not assume syscall.Write will write everything,
       remove document duplication in error predicate functions (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       return some invented data from Stat(DevNull) on windows (thanks Alex Brainman).
* path/filepath: implement Match and Glob on windows (thanks Alex Brainman).
* reflect: document PkgPath, Method, StructField,
       panic if MakeSlice is given bad len/cap arguments.
* run.bat: disable test in test\bench\go1 to fix build (thanks Alex Brainman).
* runtime/cgo: darwin signal masking (thanks Mikio Hara),
       linux signal masking (thanks Mikio Hara).
* runtime: do not handle signals before configuring handler,
       manage stack by ourselves for badcallback on windows/amd64 (thanks Shenghou Ma),
       remove unused goc2c.c (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* sort: add time complexity to doc (thanks Stefan Nilsson),
       fix computation of maxDepth to avoid infinite loop (thanks Stefan Nilsson).
* spec: delete references to unsafe.Reflect,Typeof,Unreflect.
* syscall: Test SCM_CREDENTIALS, SO_PASSCRED on Linux (thanks Albert Strasheim),
       add a test for passing an fd over a unix socket,
       delete passfd_test.go.
* test: use testlib in a few more cases (thanks Shenghou Ma).
* text/template: fix a couple of parse bugs around identifiers,
       variables do not take arguments.

Apologies if we missed anyone in the list above. We appreciate all your help.

To see a full list of changes between this and the previous weekly,
after updating, run:
 hg log -r weekly.2012-03-13:weekly.2012-03-22

Enjoy.

Andrew

hash

Mar 24, 2012, 1:50:25 PM3/24/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Will be there binaries for Windows (64-bit)?

Andrew Scott

Mar 24, 2012, 3:24:34 PM3/24/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Heads up to people using the template packages, if you've not been using the Go style variable declaration it appears that you will need to update your templates.

That is from :

{{$foo = .Bar}}

{{$foo := .Bar}}

Rob 'Commander' Pike

Mar 24, 2012, 5:35:03 PM3/24/12
to Andrew Scott, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Andrew Scott <hokapo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heads up to people using the template packages, if you've not been using the
> Go style variable declaration it appears that you will need to update your
> templates.
>
> That is from :
>
> {{$foo = .Bar}}

> {{$foo := .Bar}}

That's true. It was just a bug, and undocumented behavior, that it
worked without the colon.

Anyway it's fixed.

-rob

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 24, 2012, 7:13:23 PM3/24/12
to hash, golan...@googlegroups.com
There will be 64-bit binaries within the next 48 hours, there is an issue with the packaging script.

Bolang

Mar 26, 2012, 12:54:46 AM3/26/12
to golang-nuts
On 03/23/2012 09:20 AM, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
> We've just tagged a new Go weekly, weekly.2012-03-22.
>

> http://golang.org/issue/3210 darwin-386
> http://golang.org/issue/3208 darwin-amd64
> http://golang.org/issue/3212 freebsd-386
> http://golang.org/issue/3213 freebsd-amd64
> http://golang.org/issue/3209 linux-386
> http://golang.org/issue/3211 linux-amd64
> http://golang.org/issue/3214 windows-386
> http://golang.org/issue/3215 windows-amd64
>
> Make sure you tell us the version of the operating system you use.

How is the plan for ARM support?
When will ARM be supported by Go?

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 26, 2012, 1:08:04 AM3/26/12
to Bolang, golang-nuts
On 26 March 2012 15:54, Bolang <boo....@gmail.com> wrote:
> How is the plan for ARM support?
> When will ARM be supported by Go?

ARM is supported in Go 1, but we're not distributing binaries. See the
source install docs:

http://weekly.golang.org/doc/install/source

Andrew

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 26, 2012, 1:50:10 AM3/26/12
On 25 March 2012 10:13, Andrew Gerrand <a...@google.com> wrote:
> There will be 64-bit binaries within the next 48 hours, there is an issue
> with the packaging script.

windows-amd64 binaries are up:

http://code.google.com/p/go/downloads/list?q=OpSys%3DWindows+Arch%3DAmd64