New place to view Go project documntation.

Jiahua Chen

May 5, 2013, 4:43:53 PM5/5/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, this is my first complete project that is programming in Go, you can simply use it as your upgrade "godoc" tool.
If you know http://godoc.org, it should be familiar with you.
Here is the link: http://gowalker.org/

It uses SQLite3 and Qbs as ORM, so it's quite easy to run in any machine.

Here are some quick usage examples:

1. Add and view Go projects(type project path in github, launchpad, bitbucket or googlecode):

2. Quick search standard library with type-ahead:

3. Code quick view and function or type quick jump:

4. Title as current package types comment prompt:

5. Welcome to give me your feedback, and happy coding in Go!!!~~

Jiahua Chen

May 5, 2013, 4:53:44 PM5/5/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Source code is available on https://github.com/Unknwon/gowalker, have a nice day!

Jiahua Chen

May 5, 2013, 5:08:00 PM5/5/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
by the way, it supoorts both http://gowalker.org/github.com/coocood/qbs and http://gowalker.org/?q=github.com%2Fcoocood%2Fqbs two kinds of URLs, if you think latter one is ugly, use the non-query URL when you share your documentation with other gophers.

Aaron France

May 5, 2013, 5:14:01 PM5/5/13
to Jiahua Chen, golang-nuts
What's the killer feature over godoc?

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Jiahua Chen <joe20...@gmail.com> wrote:
by the way, it supoorts both http://gowalker.org/github.com/coocood/qbs and http://gowalker.org/?q=github.com%2Fcoocood%2Fqbs two kinds of URLs, if you think latter one is ugly, use the non-query URL when you share your documentation with other gophers.

Jiahua Chen

May 5, 2013, 5:39:08 PM5/5/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Jiahua Chen
Well, the great tool for jumping between functions, packages, find usage,etc is the go plugin for Intellij IDEA, but sometimes I just want to get quick access of functions information,  I can easily open my browser and use go walker. I don't think I have and have to have any killer feature over godoc, because your purpose decides which one you use. godoc do very good job for API documentation, but for example, I want to know what "strings.Index" really does, it's quite easy to see function body on go walker.

Aram Hăvărneanu

May 5, 2013, 5:45:48 PM5/5/13
to Jiahua Chen, golang-nuts
I really like the view code feature. Of course, in godoc you can click
on something to open the source, but this doesn't require the context
switch and at the same time it doesn't take up space, since it's
hidden by default.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

桄欣

May 6, 2013, 8:37:34 AM5/6/13
to Aaron France, Jiahua Chen, golang-nuts
Chinese Support?

桄欣

May 6, 2013, 8:36:46 AM5/6/13
to golang-nuts
Nice job.

David DENG

May 6, 2013, 12:02:03 PM5/6/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Good job! Viewing code on the fly really helps!

Some features to suggest:

1) analyzing how packages are imported (like the paper referencing) to find some really widely used packages, other than stars.

2) Finer analysis could indicate which functions are key functions (e.g., most frequently used by other packages, most referenced in testcases, etc.)

3) Automatically finding new packages: following the package dependencies, like a search engine spider; parse and follow the top/new list of the source sites.

David

ps: a typo mistake in the readme.md: "is better palce for you" -> "is a better place for yo"

Andrew Gerrand

May 6, 2013, 12:47:35 PM5/6/13
to Jiahua Chen, golang-nuts
Someone may have already pointed this out, but some source files seem to produce bad HTML on gowalker.org:

Looks like problems with escaping content, to me. Are you using the html/template package?

Jiahua Chen

May 6, 2013, 4:36:59 PM5/6/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Jiahua Chen
Wow...such a huge bug!! Because I put type's information in its "title" tag, so any HTML tag will destroy the content that related to that type.

John Asmuth

May 6, 2013, 4:46:10 PM5/6/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
This is very cool - nice job

Andrew Gerrand

May 6, 2013, 4:45:47 PM5/6/13
to Jiahua Chen, golang-nuts

On 6 May 2013 13:36, Jiahua Chen <joe20...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow...such a huge bug!! Because I put type's information in its "title" tag, so any HTML tag will destroy the content that related to that type.

You should switch to using html/template, it automatically takes care of such details.

Jiahua Chen

May 6, 2013, 4:48:18 PM5/6/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Jiahua Chen
Yesh, but I don't want user see ugly escaped characters, I'm solving this problem. Thanks for pointing out, I  appreciate!

Jiahua Chen

May 6, 2013, 5:04:18 PM5/6/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Jiahua Chen
You're absolutely right. I fixed now "probably". :-)