How do you debug Go itself on VM env or Docker container?

高橋誠二

Aug 18, 2017, 3:26:02 AM8/18/17
to golang-nuts
I'm trying to debug and run `./all.bash` with VM or docker, but they don't work for several reasons.

On VM, I added box of CentOS and Ubuntu, though, they cancels ./all.bash at `hardlink` testing.
And on docker, it also fails cuz of the permission of host directory, which includes `src`, so they can't create temporary directories for testing.

How do you debug them without soiling your host environment?

Tamás Gulácsi

Aug 18, 2017, 4:50:30 AM8/18/17
to golang-nuts
Fix your VM?

高橋誠二

Aug 18, 2017, 5:04:40 AM8/18/17
to golang-nuts
Do you know any setting file like Vagrantfile or Dockerfile, which is appropriate for this case?

2017年8月18日金曜日 17時50分30秒 UTC+9 Tamás Gulácsi:
Fix your VM?

Konstantin Khomoutov

Aug 18, 2017, 6:35:35 AM8/18/17
to 高橋誠二, golang-nuts
On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 12:26:02AM -0700, 高橋誠二 wrote:

> I'm trying to debug and run `./all.bash` with VM or docker, but they don't
> work for several reasons.
>
> On VM, I added box of CentOS and Ubuntu, though, they cancels ./all.bash at
> `hardlink` testing.

The "VM" is too vague a term which these days may mean a whole lot of
very different things.

I'm pretty confident that if we define "a VM" to mean a fully
virtualized machine running on any popular host such as KVM or
VirtualBox, hardlinks must work there just OK -- of course, provided
you've installed the guest OS on a POSIX-compliant FS (such as ext4 for
the case of CentOS/Ubuntu).

I'm also pretty confident such stuff should work just OK in an LXC
container -- again provided the host os (this time) uses a
POSIX-compatible FS which is the case most of the time.

In any case, the exact error message (with some textual context around
it) could help us try to light more shed on the source of the problem.