Go on ARM 32bit and 64bit resources and groups

Norbert Fuhs

Sep 16, 2017, 4:21:45 PM9/16/17
to golang-nuts
Hi,

since I'm running Go on an Rapberry Pi 3 I would like to know if there are more official resources / tutorials or even groups?

Beside doing searching for arm on Github https://github.com/golang/go/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=arm&type=

Is the only offical resource I found is Go s wiki page: https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/GoArm ?

I'm not sure how up to this wiki is I still doesn't mention it it benchmarks the Raspberry Pi 3 which I use and it seems not mauch people are using Go on an Pi.

I know its just a pet project by me but I wonder if there is a better place if I have specific go question I get now like
GC issuses with 32 Bit ARM ??

Dave Cheney

Sep 16, 2017, 8:45:24 PM9/16/17
to golang-nuts
I think it's fine to ask questions about 32bit implementations of Go here. For Go specific things like interfacing with hardware https://gobot.io/ or https://periph.io/ may be better choices.

Ranjib Dey

Sep 16, 2017, 8:46:46 PM9/16/17
to Norbert Fuhs, golang-nuts
Is there anything specific you are looking for ? I extensively use go on pi and pretty much everything is very similar, i develop on my mac book and CI cluster deploys it. On non arm arch, its just as simple as setting up GOARCH and GOARM variables... thats all

I have a whole build/ci stack as well as scheduler stack (nomad + lxc) thats build, deploys and test arm/go binaries on them, the build cluster is 8 pi stacked up together.
I also use go + pi to control my reef tank (http://reef-pi.com). There are handful (15-20) other folks who also uses that software, but not go developers, they are just reef keepers.

Ranjib Dey

Sep 16, 2017, 8:50:00 PM9/16/17
to golang-nuts
Forgot to mention, gobot, embd all are fairly good bindings. For most thing Pi related you can you can do straight I/O againsgt sysfs. Gobot provides decent i2c & spi based sensor/breakout board bindings, while embd provides most popular adafruit breakout board drivers (i2c/spi).
Several other sensors (like ds18b20) are 1 wire based and interaction is same as gpio (I/O against sysfs).

Norbert Fuhs

Sep 20, 2017, 7:33:42 AM9/20/17
to golang-nuts
Thanks for all the answers and replys it helped me a lot the thing that confuses me is that there are not many resources for using Go on Raspberry Pi although many Gophers seem to use Go on a Pi for pet projects... I will set up my own repo with resources and links I find it a bit hard for Go beginners using Go on Raspberry Pi

Mandolyte

Sep 20, 2017, 8:26:51 PM9/20/17
to golang-nuts
Slightly different question... would this ARM approach work on a Samsung Chromebook Plus which uses OP1 ARM, with Crouton installed?

Norbert Fuhs

Sep 21, 2017, 1:34:05 PM9/21/17
to golang-nuts
I don't have a chrome book but if its already already installed you should be able to install it like with any other Linux distro:

Just follow  https://golang.org/doc/install

Download Go 1.9 ARM:

https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.9.linux-armv6l.tar.gz

Then insde the the download folder run:

tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.9.linux-armv6l.tar.gz

Then add /usr/local/go/bin to the PATH environment variable.

You can do this by adding this line to your /etc/profile (for a system-wide installation) or $HOME/.profile:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin

After you did this you need to run:

source /etc/profile

and after this

go version

It should print:

go version go1.9 linux/arm

To check if everything is installed correctly

If you have any trouble you can write me an mail

ajstarks

Sep 23, 2017, 1:48:17 AM9/23/17
to golang-nuts
I built the openvg library and its clients on the Raspberry Pi. See:[ https://github.com/ajstarks/openvg

In general I treat the Raspberry Pi like any other Linux box, building Go from source with each release.

Dave Cheney

Sep 24, 2017, 6:40:08 AM9/24/17
to golang-nuts
Yes