Go 1.10 is released

Andrew Bonventre

Feb 16, 2018, 2:36:22 PM2/16/18
to golang-nuts
Hello gophers,

We just released Go 1.10.

You can read the announcement blog post here:

You can download binary and source distributions from our download page:

To compile from source using a Git checkout, update to the release with "git checkout go1.10" and build as usual.

To find out what has changed, read the release notes:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the release.

Andy on behalf of the Go Team

Kurt Jung

Feb 16, 2018, 5:20:54 PM2/16/18
to golang-nuts
We just released Go 1.10.

Nice work! Building multi-file packages is incredibly fast with the new caching system.

-- Kurt

Harmen

Feb 16, 2018, 5:30:49 PM2/16/18
to Andrew Bonventre, golang-nuts
On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 02:35:44PM -0500, Andrew Bonventre wrote:
> Hello gophers,
>
> We just released Go 1.10.
>
> You can read the announcement blog post here:
> https://blog.golang.org/go1.10
>
> You can download binary and source distributions from our download page:
> https://golang.org/dl/
>
> To compile from source using a Git checkout, update to the release with
> "git checkout go1.10" and build as usual.
>
> To find out what has changed, read the release notes:
> https://golang.org/doc/go1.10

Great!

Can we have an update of https://golang.org/doc/devel/release.html ?
(To serve as reference in wikipedia, mostly)

Thanks!
Harmen

Andrew Bonventre

Feb 16, 2018, 11:34:57 PM2/16/18
to Harmen, golang-nuts
Yep! Missed that 😬. Review is out now.

Dmitriy Cherchenko

Feb 17, 2018, 9:20:39 PM2/17/18
to golang-nuts
I like how the Go team isn't trying to support very old operating systems. We should focus on modern systems and expect people to try to stay up to date. Thank you!

Compiler

Feb 18, 2018, 12:28:17 PM2/18/18
to golang-nuts
https://golang.org/pkg/plugin/

Not Forget this :
     Currently plugins are only supported on Linux and macOS.

Lucio

Feb 18, 2018, 1:55:27 PM2/18/18
to golang-nuts

On Sunday, 18 February 2018 04:20:39 UTC+2, Dmitriy Cherchenko wrote:
I like how the Go team isn't trying to support very old operating systems. We should focus on modern systems and expect people to try to stay up to date. Thank you!

And be restricted to shrinking bio-diversity. How sad that people may perceive this as an asset!

Lucio.

Henrik Johansson

Feb 18, 2018, 2:23:08 PM2/18/18
to Lucio, golang-nuts
The GOCACHE variable. What is it's effect when building Go itself?
It doesn't disable test caching when using the resulting go tools right?

Ian Lance Taylor

Feb 18, 2018, 5:04:40 PM2/18/18
to Henrik Johansson, Lucio, golang-nuts
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The GOCACHE variable. What is it's effect when building Go itself?
> It doesn't disable test caching when using the resulting go tools right?

Right.

Ian

Henrik Johansson

Feb 19, 2018, 2:00:34 AM2/19/18
to Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
Thx,

Why I wondered was because to build script (a tiny settings file really) for Archlinux uses this flag to build it's Go packages.
Is it available as a paranoia "i really need all the tests run"? Will it be removed later on?

Michel Casabianca

Feb 19, 2018, 8:17:18 AM2/19/18
to Henrik Johansson, Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
Hi Gophers,

I have updated my list of Go interfaces for this release : http://sweetohm.net/article/go-interfaces.en.html

Enjoy!

Michel Casabianca

Johann Höchtl

Feb 19, 2018, 10:20:58 AM2/19/18
to golang-nuts

Am Montag, 19. Februar 2018 14:17:18 UTC+1 schrieb Michel Casabianca:
Hi Gophers,

I have updated my list of Go interfaces for this release : http://sweetohm.net/article/go-interfaces.en.html

Just came across this very helpful overview (and sorry for hi-jacking the thread). Can guru enlist all the interfaces available within a given scope?

Enjoy!

sön 18 feb. 2018 kl 23:04 skrev Ian Lance Taylor <ia...@golang.org>:
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The GOCACHE variable. What is it's effect when building Go itself?
> It doesn't disable test caching when using the resulting go tools right?

Right.

Ian

Michel Casabianca

Nathan Kerr

Feb 19, 2018, 1:39:19 PM2/19/18
to golang-nuts
I have also updated my release related resources:

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 6:17:18 AM UTC-7, Michel Casabianca wrote:
Hi Gophers,

I have updated my list of Go interfaces for this release : http://sweetohm.net/article/go-interfaces.en.html

Enjoy!
Thx,

Why I wondered was because to build script (a tiny settings file really) for Archlinux uses this flag to build it's Go packages.
Is it available as a paranoia "i really need all the tests run"? Will it be removed later on?

sön 18 feb. 2018 kl 23:04 skrev Ian Lance Taylor <ia...@golang.org>:
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The GOCACHE variable. What is it's effect when building Go itself?
> It doesn't disable test caching when using the resulting go tools right?

Right.

Ian

Michel Casabianca

Ian Lance Taylor

Feb 19, 2018, 3:01:15 PM2/19/18
to Henrik Johansson, golang-nuts
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:00 PM, Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why I wondered was because to build script (a tiny settings file really) for
> Archlinux uses this flag to build it's Go packages.
> Is it available as a paranoia "i really need all the tests run"? Will it be
> removed later on?

Sorry, I don't know. I don't know who wrote that script or why it sets GOCACHE.

Ian

Henrik Johansson

Feb 19, 2018, 3:08:45 PM2/19/18
to Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
Ah, that's not what I meant but GOCACHE var itself and if it will be permanent as a way to disable the cache.

Ian Lance Taylor

Feb 19, 2018, 3:35:53 PM2/19/18
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, that's not what I meant but GOCACHE var itself and if it will be
> permanent as a way to disable the cache.

Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. There is no way to
permanently disable the cache, other than always setting the GOCACHE
environment variable every time you run the go tool.

Ian

Henrik Johansson

Feb 19, 2018, 3:40:48 PM2/19/18
to Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
Yes I understand. I was just wondering if the GOCACHE flag is permanent or as a temp safety in case someone encounters a bug in the caching.

Ian Lance Taylor

Feb 19, 2018, 3:50:31 PM2/19/18
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I understand. I was just wondering if the GOCACHE flag is permanent or
> as a temp safety in case someone encounters a bug in the caching.

Ah. We are going to keep the GOCACHE environment variable around,
because it can be used not only to disable the cache but to set the
cache's location.

Henrik Johansson

Feb 19, 2018, 4:00:36 PM2/19/18
to Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
Ok, good to know. Thanks!

Rob Pike

Feb 19, 2018, 4:06:38 PM2/19/18
to Henrik Johansson, Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
You could say

export GOCACHE=off

in your bashrc to disable the cache permanently.

-rob

Henrik Johansson

Feb 19, 2018, 4:10:22 PM2/19/18
to Rob Pike, Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
Well, first I'll have a look at it's magic 😀

Andrew Watson

Feb 20, 2018, 6:03:33 PM2/20/18
to golang-nuts
Awesome! I discovered this by accident because I was upgrading my MBP via homebrew expecting a 1.9.x version and it came up with 1.10!