go get golang.org/x/tools asks for a go.googlesource.com password on osx??

Jason E. Aten

Jun 22, 2017, 3:09:16 PM6/22/17
to golang-nuts

go version go1.8.3 darwin/amd64

osx 10.12.5

$ go get -t -u -v  golang.org/x/tools

Fetching https://golang.org/x/tools?go-get=1

Parsing meta tags from https://golang.org/x/tools?go-get=1 (status code 200)

get "golang.org/x/tools": found meta tag main.metaImport{Prefix:"golang.org/x/tools", VCS:"git", RepoRoot:"https://go.googlesource.com/tools"} at https://golang.org/x/tools?go-get=1

golang.org/x/tools (download)

# cd .; git clone https://go.googlesource.com/tools /Users/me/go/src/golang.org/x/tools

Cloning into '/Users/me/go/src/golang.org/x/tools'...

fatal: remote error:

Invalid authentication credentials.

Please generate a new identifier:

  https://go.googlesource.com/new-password

package golang.org/x/tools: exit status 128

$

$ git version

git version 2.11.0 (Apple Git-81)

This would seem to break alot of software installs... so I am assuming there is just something misconfigured with my git on osx. But I can't seem to find it.

$ git config -l

user.name=Jason

user.email=***notshown***

http.cookiefile=/Users/me/.gitcookies

alias.change=codereview change

alias.gofmt=codereview gofmt

alias.mail=codereview mail

alias.pending=codereview pending

alias.submit=codereview submit

alias.sync=codereview sync

Any suggestions for getting 'go get' of golang.org/x/tools working again?

Jason E. Aten

Jun 22, 2017, 3:42:00 PM6/22/17
to golang-nuts
It does work fine on linux, and on a different OSX 10.11.6 laptop with git 2.8.4 (Apple Git-73), so it is definitely a configuration on the OSX 10.12.5/git 2.11.0 (Apple Git-81) thing.

I'd heard osx Sierra 10.12.5 was bad but I had no idea it was this bad... can anyone reproduce (or not) on Sierra 10.12.5?

Jason E. Aten

Jun 22, 2017, 4:12:32 PM6/22/17
to golang-nuts
Nailed it:

It turns out there was a ~/.gitcookies file, referenced from ~/.gitconfig, that was messing up git.

The ~/.gitcookies file had a .googlesource.com cookie in it. I renamed the ~/.gitcookies file, effectively deleting it, and now things work as expected.