License for x/image/testdata and x/image/font/testdata files

athosc...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2017, 3:01:57 PM8/16/17
to golang-nuts
Hello,

I was wondering if I should assume BSD 3 clause licenses for all the files located under

x/image/testdata and x/image/font/testdata

since there are no licese notes regarding those files (fonts and images). Thanks for the input and I am sorry if this is not the right place for this question (if this is the case, would you point me there? Thank you very much).

The source code in question is located at https://github.com/golang/image

Ian Lance Taylor

Aug 16, 2017, 3:14:22 PM8/16/17
to athosc...@gmail.com, Nigel Tao, golang-nuts
My guess is that all those files are covered by the LICENSE file at
the top level, but CC'ing Nigel to double check.

Ian

Nigel Tao

Aug 19, 2017, 10:25:58 PM8/19/17
to Ian Lance Taylor, athosc...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:13 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <ia...@golang.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:50 AM, <athosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering if I should assume BSD 3 clause licenses for all the files
>> located under
>>
>> x/image/testdata and x/image/font/testdata
>>
>> since there are no licese notes regarding those files (fonts and images).

For x/image/font/testdata, the three fonts directly in that directory
(in .sfd and .otf / .ttf format) are original works by the Go Authors,
so they use the BSD 3 clause license like the rest of the repo.

For the x/image/font/testdata/fixed subdirectory, there is a README
that contains license notes.

For x/image/testdata, I think "git log" is the best source of per-file
license notes. For example:

$ git log testdata/tux.png
commit 94ba43c4786221df328229f694fa73a71558583b
Author: Nigel Tao <nige...@golang.org>
Date: Tue Jun 17 21:51:57 2014 +1000

go.image/vp8l: new package.

The blue-purple-pink image comes from
http://blog.golang.org/gophercon

The tux and yellow_rose images come from
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery2 and according to
that page, those images are in the public domain.

The gopher-doc images are http://golang.org/doc/gopher/doc.png
after quantizing its palette to 2/4/16/256 colors.

LGTM=r
R=r
CC=golang-codereviews
https://golang.org/cl/109010043

athosc...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2017, 12:13:07 PM8/21/17
to golang-nuts
Hello Ian and Nigel,

There were doubts on how to distribute those files in Fedora, which now are cleared.

Thanks for your reply!