godoc.org joins the Go project

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 20, 2014, 6:14:26 PM3/20/14
to golang-nuts, Gary Burd
Hi gophers,

Some years ago Gary Burd built a site named GoPkgDoc, a documentation service for open source Go packages. This became godoc.org and has been an essential service for Go programmers ever since. If you need package documentation, godoc.org is the place to go.

Gary recently decided to step away from the project and the Go project adopted it. The service now runs on Compute Engine and is administered by the Go team at Google.

The source code and issue tracker continue to be hosted by GitHub.
You can find it at: https://github.com/golang/gddo

Contributions are welcome by pull request, but make sure you sign the CLA first, as per the the contribution guidelines: http://golang.org/doc/contribute.html. Development discussion should be sent to golan...@googlegroups.com.

Please join me in thanking Gary for the huge amount of work he has put into creating and maintaining this key service for the Go ecosystem.

Long live godoc.org!

Andrew

Dan Kortschak

Mar 20, 2014, 6:17:46 PM3/20/14
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, Gary Burd
On Fri, 2014-03-21 at 09:14 +1100, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
> Please join me in thanking Gary for the huge amount of work he has put
> into creating and maintaining this key service for the Go ecosystem.

It has been an outstanding resource, so thanks to Gary for all that
work. And thanks to the project for picking it up.

jimmy frasche

Mar 20, 2014, 6:21:27 PM3/20/14
to Dan Kortschak, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, Gary Burd
I use godoc all the time. It's the best Go resource after golang.org.
Thank you Gary for providing this great resource. Thanks to the Go
team for making sure it keeps going.!

Joshua Poehls

Mar 20, 2014, 6:36:41 PM3/20/14
to jimmy frasche, Dan Kortschak, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, Gary Burd
Woot!

Joshua Poehls

Rodrigo Kochenburger

Mar 20, 2014, 6:43:20 PM3/20/14
to Joshua Poehls, jimmy frasche, Dan Kortschak, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, Gary Burd
Thanks Gary and thanks go team for keeping it alive!

- RK

Ian Dawes

Mar 20, 2014, 6:58:30 PM3/20/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Gary Burd
Great news that the Go team has decided to maintain this important resource!

Nate Finch

Mar 20, 2014, 7:03:06 PM3/20/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome. Godoc is awesome.

Gustavo Niemeyer

Mar 20, 2014, 7:25:57 PM3/20/14
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, Gary Burd
It's great that the project is moving over to good hands. At the same
time, it's sad to see Gary stepping out. He's done an outstanding job
both creating and maintaining this service.

Thanks again, Gary.
> --

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

StalkR

Mar 20, 2014, 7:27:36 PM3/20/14
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, Gary Burd
I use godoc all the time, thank you Gary and the Go team for keeping it alive.

Peter Bourgon

Mar 20, 2014, 7:30:34 PM3/20/14
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, Gary Burd
Great news! Thanks and congrats to everyone involved. godoc.org is an invaluable and well-designed resource.

Robert Melton

Mar 20, 2014, 7:31:48 PM3/20/14
to Gary Burd, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
Gary--

Heartfelt thanks for all the hard work and dedication, you improved
the community immensely, you will be missed.

--
Robert Melton | http://robertmelton.com

Nathan Youngman

Mar 21, 2014, 12:32:20 AM3/21/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Gary Burd

Thanks Gary. Best wishes in your future endeavours, whatever they may be. ^_^

Thanks Andrew & the Go Team for taking over leadership of godoc.org. Still plenty to do.

Nathan.

Frank Schröder

Mar 21, 2014, 1:15:34 AM3/21/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for godoc.org Gary. It's a great tool.

Thanks to the Go team for taking it on.

Frank

Brendan Tracey

Mar 21, 2014, 2:55:09 AM3/21/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Gary

Markus Zimmermann

Mar 21, 2014, 4:36:47 AM3/21/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Gary Burd
godoc.org is outstanding! I use it every day. Thank you Gary! If you are ever in Austria, let me know. Beer is on me :-)

mi...@mikehughes.info

Mar 21, 2014, 9:41:13 AM3/21/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Gary Burd
Thanks Gary!

godoc.org is one of my most visited sites (as a matter of fact, it's auto-completed when I type "god" into the address bar!)

Wonderful resource, and glad to hear it's sticking around.

Martin Angers

Mar 21, 2014, 9:57:16 AM3/21/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Gary, for godoc and Redigo too! Awesome work.

Mikio Hara

Mar 22, 2014, 3:50:51 AM3/22/14
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Andrew Gerrand <a...@google.com> wrote:

> Please join me in thanking Gary for the huge amount of work he has put into
> creating and maintaining this key service for the Go ecosystem.

Thank you very much, Gary!
This conversation is locked