How do i create a fake drive that shows up in windows explorer?

Justin C

Jul 28, 2016, 7:31:22 PM7/28/16
to golang-nuts
Good afternoon,
I am trying to create a fake (virtual?) drive that would display a programmatic generated file system tree that when the user clicks on a file in internet explore it opens the file but could first run operations on that file like log that it was opened or even de-crypt the file and then return it to the user. (Boxcryptor classic does it some how if anyone knows how that works.)
Is this possible with Go? Would this be only possible written in c++?
I have bin looking at github.com/blang/vfs
When looking at it I'm wondering if this only creates the file system for that go program or does it also show up in Windows explorer? Would it showing up in internet explorer be a step in it's self?
Sorry for such a open ended question but I'm struggling to understand what i should be looking into. Do i need to be looking into a virtual file system or is it called something else?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

brainman

Jul 28, 2016, 10:19:05 PM7/28/16
to golang-nuts
I do not know how to build what you want - Go or not Go. I suspect you would have to use some low level tools to build something like that.

Perhaps you should ask this question somewhere where more Windows programmers hangout. Maybe try posting this (without mentioning Go) on http://stackoverflow.com. Once you have some plan in any computer language, try go-nuts again. It would be much easier question to answer (translate from C into Go).

Alex

Tim Hawkins

Jul 28, 2016, 10:29:01 PM7/28/16
to Justin C, golang-nuts

Look at FUSE, its a userland filesystem driver system.

https://github.com/hanwen/go-fuse

Tamás Gulácsi

Jul 29, 2016, 1:43:50 AM7/29/16
to golang-nuts
I'd write it as a FUSE fs, with https://bazil.org/fuse/, then adapt it to Windows with https://dokan-dev.github.io/ .

Justin C

Jul 29, 2016, 10:54:24 AM7/29/16
to golang-nuts
Thank you for your help! I'll look into fuse.

Daniel Theophanes

Jul 29, 2016, 12:50:26 PM7/29/16
to golang-nuts
If you're on windows you either want https://dokan-dev.github.io/ which shows up as a native drive or webdav https://godoc.org/golang.org/x/net/webdav which shows up as a network drive.