State of the database drivers in go

snmed

Jan 12, 2017, 9:57:44 AM1/12/17
to golang-nuts
Dear all

I'm planning my next project which is a data centric application with use of at least one rdbms and one nosql database.
So far i used go only for some small command line tools, but i'm overwhelmed by the clean and nice syntax. So i was looking
for database support in go and stumbled over this site https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/SQLDrivers and https://github.com/avelino/awesome-go.

I looked into several repositories and most of the project hasn't made any progress since over 6 months, so i'm wondering are
those driver so good or is the development discontinued? And is go the right language for a data centric application?
I'm concerned about the future of the language and the drivers, it's important for me to have a reliable environment,

Has anyone some insight in data centric application with go and can give me some advise?

Cheers, snmed

Josh Kamau

Jan 12, 2017, 10:04:31 AM1/12/17
to snmed, golang-nuts
This https://github.com/lib/pq  which is the postgres driver has commits in the last 15 days.

Josh

snmed

Jan 12, 2017, 10:14:19 AM1/12/17
to golang-nuts
Thank you Josh for your reply. Do you have any experience with this driver and do you know a reliable Nosql Db Driver (Document Based)?
Are the MongoDB Driver mgo for production ready?

Cheers snmed

Daniel Theophanes

Jan 12, 2017, 10:18:17 AM1/12/17
to golang-nuts
I know drivers for postgesql, MySQL, Ms SQL server, and Oracle are maintained.

snmed

Jan 12, 2017, 10:26:38 AM1/12/17
to golang-nuts
Thank you for your answer, so far i think at least for the rdbms there are maintained drivers. So i need just a reliable NoSql Driver for a Document-Based Storage.
Go is awesome i hope the eco system will grow in the future and the language can stand against rust and the omni present of c/c++.

Cheers snmed

Henrik Johansson

Jan 12, 2017, 10:40:15 AM1/12/17
to snmed, golang-nuts
Mgo https://labix.org/mgo seems to be very well maintained.

Josh Kamau

Jan 12, 2017, 10:42:52 AM1/12/17
to Henrik Johansson, snmed, golang-nuts
I have an app in production using Postgres. The library has never been a problem.  I have read good reviews for mgo but i have not used it personally

Josh

snmed

Jan 13, 2017, 7:27:06 AM1/13/17
to golang-nuts
Thats great to hear, i will start a prototype of the project with postgres and mongodb. Then i will see if our needs are satisfied and
if we stay with go. :-) I really hope it is working out for us, i would prefer to use go now and in the future:-D

Cheers

Am Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2017 16:18:17 UTC+1 schrieb Daniel Theophanes:
I know drivers for postgesql, MySQL, Ms SQL server, and Oracle are maintained.

Konstantin Khomoutov

Jan 13, 2017, 8:08:39 AM1/13/17
to Josh Kamau, Henrik Johansson, snmed, golang-nuts
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:42:38 +0300
Josh Kamau <joshn...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> I have read good reviews for mgo but i have not used it personally

Okay, there's a negavite one to balance your fascination ;-)
http://cryto.net/~joepie91/blog/2015/07/19/why-you-should-never-ever-ever-use-mongodb/

[...]

Henrik Johansson

Jan 13, 2017, 8:21:04 AM1/13/17
to Konstantin Khomoutov, Josh Kamau, snmed, golang-nuts

That's Mongodb itself, not the Go driver.

snmed

Jan 13, 2017, 8:35:20 AM1/13/17
to golang-nuts
Hi Konstantin

I'm absolutely aware of the impact of a NoSql database and how a datastructure has to be design for an effectiv use of MongoDb, but thank you anyway for your contribution.

Cheers

Konstantin Khomoutov

Jan 13, 2017, 8:37:17 AM1/13/17
to Henrik Johansson, Konstantin Khomoutov, Josh Kamau, snmed, golang-nuts
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:20:28 +0000
Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I have read good reviews for mgo but i have not used it personally
> >
> > Okay, there's a negavite one to balance your fascination ;-)
> >
> > http://cryto.net/~joepie91/blog/2015/07/19/why-you-should-never-ever-ever-use-mongodb/
> >
> That's Mongodb itself, not the Go driver.

Obviously. ;-)

My comment was about good reviews of mongodb, not its Go driver.
At least that's how I interpreted the OP's remark.

Henrik Johansson

Jan 13, 2017, 8:42:49 AM1/13/17
to Konstantin Khomoutov, Josh Kamau, snmed, golang-nuts

Honestly I have had some less than pleasant incidents with Mongodb as well but the fault was due to simply overusing it for stuff it's not meant for.

Daniel Theophanes

Jan 13, 2017, 1:05:11 PM1/13/17
to golang-nuts
If you are using database/sql in a fresh project, I highly recommend starting on go1.8 (the first release candidate is out now). Also, if you encounter fundamental blocking issues with the database/sql package, please send a message to: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/golang-sql

Thanks, -Daniel