ANN: A HTTP backed File System (FUSE)

prol...@shortcircuit.net.au

Nov 30, 2016, 8:21:22 AM11/30/16
to golang-nuts
Hey all, First time poster here so go easy on me :)

(Naming is hard!)

This is basically a HTTP backed FileSystem using FUSE via the wonderful bazil.org/fuse library.

Why? Scratching my own itch to present remote storage on my home NAS as a regular folder for family.
Also pan on extending and working more on this to build this out into a docker volume driver.

Critique and feedback welcome as well as testers and contributions!

cheers
James

Vasiliy Tolstov

Dec 5, 2016, 9:04:54 AM12/5/16
to prol...@shortcircuit.net.au, golang-nuts
This is very useful, but does it possible to specify multiple url for
the same object? For example i have two servers with identical content
and want to serve it via fs. If one server is down all works from
other.. Also suitable for load balancing...

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.to...@selfip.ru

omarsharif...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 9:15:23 AM12/5/16
to golang-nuts, prol...@shortcircuit.net.au
WebDAV?

James Mills

Dec 6, 2016, 2:59:21 AM12/6/16
to omarsharif...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
@Ben: WebDAV is quite a valid choice indeed. I chose to do this project to a) continue to learn and become proficient at Go and b) I wanted something I could fuse mount and curl with a simple api.

cheers
James

James Mills

Dec 6, 2016, 3:01:08 AM12/6/16
to Vasiliy Tolstov, golang-nuts
On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov <v.to...@selfip.ru> wrote:
This is very useful, but does it possible to specify multiple url for
the same object? For example i have two servers with identical content
and want to serve it via fs. If one server is down all works from
other.. Also suitable for load balancing...

Pretty sure you could stick a load balancer in front of back httpfsd backends and point httpfsmount at the lb? I haven't tried this yet :) File an issue let's make that work.

cheers
James

omarsharif...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2016, 4:14:46 AM12/6/16
to golang-nuts, omarsharif...@gmail.com, prol...@shortcircuit.net.au
Sounds great! As someone who has tried to work with WebDAV on multiple occasions, its so horribly broken/unsupported/deliberately sabotaged as to be useless anyways, which is a shame because I really really like WebDAV :( At least your project has a chance of actually working.