OpenWRT-friendly golang hardware

Aldrin Leal

Oct 1, 2016, 9:47:07 AM10/1/16
to golang-nuts
Just wondering:

Which OpenWRT-based hardware you'd pick? My idea would be to write a few middleware code for an existing router platform. Most OpenWRT are based on MIPS SoCs, so this is a problem and ARM would be preferred. Plus, space is a concern as well

Any ideas?

Thank you

Sokolov Yura

Oct 2, 2016, 1:30:57 AM10/2/16
to golang-nuts
Some uses gccgo for mips hardware.

Conor O'Neill

Oct 2, 2016, 10:17:53 AM10/2/16
to golang-nuts
I have run Go 1.4 webapps on the original Onion Omega which uses OpenWRT. I used an unofficial port that someone else did to MIPS32.

Details here: http://conoroneill.net/three-ways-to-build-go-14-binaries-for-mips32-onion-omega-golang/

16MB of flash is always going to be a challenge tho.

Simon Larcher

Oct 2, 2016, 10:17:53 AM10/2/16
to Sokolov Yura, golang-nuts
From what I understood, MIPS32 support for Golang has been in the pipeline for some time already so it might appear at some point. MIPS64 is there since 1.6 and fully supported in 1.7.
Sadly, very few OpenWRT hardware uses MIPS64, only the higher grade products do.

You will have to use gccgo anyways as long as it is not supported, from what I understand.

I recently bought Mediatek LinkIt Smart 7688 boards, made by SeeedStudio, you can find it at this link: https://www.seeedstudio.com/LinkIt-Smart-7688-p-2573.html
I haven't tested Go on it but I found a Docker image and a tutorial to enable gccgo when building an image for the above board, it's on Docker Hub at this link: https://hub.docker.com/r/appleboy/linkit-smart-7688-golang/

Apart from Go compatibility, I can still comment on the board itself: It works well, easy to setup and has good software support from Mediatek, the form factor is an important selling point as well. It is also fully documented and open source hardware.

Some uses gccgo for mips hardware.

xiaowp

Oct 9, 2016, 6:05:42 PM10/9/16
to Aldrin Leal, golang-nuts
May be Lamobo R1 is one of your choices, though it's sold as board.
some of the websites to refer to:

From:  "Aldrin Leal";<ald...@leal.eng.br>;
Date:  Sat, Oct 1, 2016 09:42 PM
To:  "golang-nuts"<golan...@googlegroups.com>;