pprof broken in 1.2?

Baron Schwartz

Dec 10, 2013, 11:08:43 AM12/10/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I've been digging into pprof a bit and as it's pretty complex, I'm asking here first.

Our binaries built with 1.2 seem to give profiles that are mostly nonsense. For example, please see the attached image generated with "--web" from a busy binary. There is almost nothing mentioning the code we wrote; it's all standard libraries. And when I generate a list of symbols, almost everything seems to get lumped into some "etext" symbol, which I think explains why this image credits "etext" as the biggest user of CPU.

Are there problems with pprof in Go 1.2? Are there workarounds to get usable profiles from 1.2 binaries?

Thanks,
Baron

pprof.png

Martin Angers

Dec 12, 2013, 9:23:25 AM12/12/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Are you profiling on OSX with pprof data coming from a Linux server? I've seen the same behaviour (etext) in this situation. You should profile on Linux if this is the case.

efredr...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2014, 10:57:41 PM1/4/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I've got the same problem, approximately. "etext" is profiled as using 30% of CPU time, but only one arrow comes into it from "System". This is on OSX with data from OSX.

Dave Cheney

Jan 4, 2014, 11:27:30 PM1/4/14
to efredr...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
The OSX kernel has a bug that prevents it from profiling accurately, please read http://research.swtch.com/macpprof

Niket Patel

Jan 5, 2014, 2:14:36 AM1/5/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, efredr...@gmail.com

The OSX kernel has a bug that prevents it from profiling accurately, please read http://research.swtch.com/macpprof

Dave,

Thanks a lot!  Awesome work by Russ.

Did anyone tried it on latest Mavericks?

Carlos Castillo

Jan 5, 2014, 11:13:57 AM1/5/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, efredr...@gmail.com
I've used it since shortly after the release of Mavericks. Personally, I've experienced no problems as a result of the patch, and the profiles do work.

Niket Patel

Jan 5, 2014, 1:47:45 PM1/5/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, efredr...@gmail.com
Thanks, will try.

Alejandro Martínez

Apr 18, 2014, 10:03:11 AM4/18/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
This is still going on in 1.2.1

So right now i'm forced to use pprof with 1.1.1.

Any ideas?

Alejandro Martínez

Apr 18, 2014, 11:18:49 AM4/18/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
oh, by the way. This is on Ubuntu

Linux alebuntu64 3.5.0-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 11 18:51:59 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Dave Cheney

Apr 18, 2014, 6:43:39 PM4/18/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
HI,

Can you please post some details. As far as this thread is concerned, the problem was resolved on 6/1/2014.