[ANN] ztdns: A simple DNS server for ZeroTier Virtual Networks

Aaryn Smith

Jun 16, 2017, 11:27:31 PM6/16/17
to golang-nuts
I'd like to announce my first open source project, ztdns: A simple DNS server for a ZeroTier network.

I've been using ZeroTier (https://zerotier.com/) for a simple, easy to use VPN service, however was frustrated with not having an easy way to do Name resolution without manually managing a bind/dnsmasq service. So I setup a go client for (the relevant parts of) Zerotier's API, and used Miekg's DNS package (https://github.com/miekg/dns) to build a simple DNS service that pulls names from the shortname given in ZeroTier's console when you add a device and appends a suffix domain name (zt by default) for name resolution.

This is my first open source project, so I'm open to any an all constructive criticism. Please feel free to open an issue with any critiques, or suggestions.

The repo is on GitHub at https://github.com/uxbh/ztdns

Thanks,
Aaryn

bi...@goodcomputerguy.com

Jan 11, 2018, 10:50:24 AM1/11/18
to golang-nuts
I just expanded my use of ZeroTier and this project would be great but I can't quite get it to work on Windows. It runs, connects to ZeroTier and imports all of the machines. But it doesn't appear to be responding to DNS requests. I can't telnet to it on port 53 either (not a firewall issue.) Are you still actively working on it?

edli...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 2:37:19 PM1/19/18
to golang-nuts
I just wanted to thank you for this! While I'm not using it (directly), I am making use of your ztapi code in my own project. Well done!