[ANN] Elastic APM Go Agent

Andrew Wilkins

Mar 20, 2018, 9:55:20 PM3/20/18
to golang-nuts
Hi folks,

Elastic APM [0] is an open source APM solution being developed by Elastic. The Elastic APM server [1] is written in Go. We've recently started working on a package for tracing/monitoring Go applications: https://github.com/elastic/apm-agent-go.

Although the Go support is fully functional, it's still very early in development -- we're calling it "pre-alpha" to make it clear that the API is still very likely to change. Currently there's support for tracing (but not *distributed* tracing -- we're working on that), and we've started looking at adding support for application metrics.

We'd be happy to hear your feedback on the Go agent, and what things you'd like to monitor in your Go applications. If you're interested and have 5-10 minutes, please fill it out: https://goo.gl/forms/6CMMsqd6TVAYEEg42.

Finally, if you want to follow along, I encourage you to either star/watch the repositories, and/or sign up to https://discuss.elastic.co/c/apm. I won't be posting this sort of thing regularly to golang-nuts, as I'm sure it's not of general interest.

Cheers,
Andrew

P.S. It's called an "agent" for consistency, but really it's just a package you import into your application. That could change.

Henrik Johansson

Mar 21, 2018, 1:35:07 AM3/21/18
to Andrew Wilkins, golang-nuts
Out of curiosity is it Open Tracing compatible?

Andrew Wilkins

Mar 21, 2018, 1:41:40 AM3/21/18
to Henrik Johansson, golang-nuts
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 at 13:34 Henrik Johansson <dahan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Out of curiosity is it Open Tracing compatible?

Not at the moment, but we are looking at both OpenTracing and OpenCensus. Which common/standard APIs we implement will depend on customer demand or community contributions. I expect at least one of those will be supported in the future.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew Wilkins

Nov 19, 2018, 9:29:33 PM11/19/18
to golang-nuts
Hi folks,

The Elastic APM Go agent has just released v1.0.0, and is now "generally available."
Elastic APM is an open source Application Performance Monitoring solution built on top of the Elastic Stack.

The Go agent now supports the OpenTracing API. All of our agents are implementing the draft W3C Trace-Context standard* for distributed tracing.

You can read more in the announcement blog post: https://www.elastic.co/blog/elastic-apm-go-agent-1-0-0-released.

Cheers,
Andrew

* We implement the same logic as in the W3C trace-Context standard, however we have temporarily renamed the Traceparent header to avoid compatibility issues during the draft process; we will use the standard header names when they're out of draft, to ensure compatibility with other implementations. That's the pointer, after all :)