Go 1.9 is released

Chris Broadfoot

Aug 24, 2017, 6:44:25 PM8/24/17
to golang-nuts
Hello gophers,

We just released Go 1.9.

You can read the announcement blog post here:

You can download binary and source distributions from our download page:

To compile from source using a Git checkout, update to the release with "git checkout go1.9" and build as usual.

To find out what has changed, read the release notes:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the release.

Chris

Nathan Kerr

Aug 24, 2017, 6:52:40 PM8/24/17
to golang-nuts
Congrats!

jimmy frasche

Aug 24, 2017, 6:56:29 PM8/24/17
to Nathan Kerr, golang-nuts
Thanks for all the great work—lots of exciting changes in this release!

Steven Hartland

Aug 25, 2017, 4:53:37 AM8/25/17
to golang-nuts
Thanks for everyone's hard work on this!

One thing I've noticed, having read through the blog post and release notes, is a mention of the issue with the netpoller is surprisingly absent.

This issue has bitten us quite a bit, only tracked it down this week, so would have expected to see this one to mentioned given it can and does cause TCP connections from the runtime to fail randomly; something worth adding?

    Regards
    Steve
Message has been deleted

Konstantin Khomoutov

Aug 25, 2017, 7:26:23 AM8/25/17
to Igor Maznitsa, golang-nuts
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 02:05:52AM -0700, Igor Maznitsa wrote:

> and why the SDK is not presented in the list
> https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/ ?
> also under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS I have some error for any attempt to start Go
> 1.9 from downloaded SDK :
> /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1: No such file or directory
> I don't have any such error with the 1.8.3, is it normal situation now?

The package search [1] turns up this file is provided by libc6 (for arm64).

So do you really using arm64 (not amd64) and have libc6 installed?
(I doubt the second as this package should be essential on
Debian-derived distros but the former might be the culprit.

1. https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=ld-linux-aarch64.so.1&mode=&suite=xenial&arch=any

oju...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2017, 7:30:45 AM8/25/17
to golang-nuts
Thank you, guys. Good job.

Igor Maznitsa

Aug 25, 2017, 7:31:31 AM8/25/17
to golang-nuts, rrg...@gmail.com
>>The package search [1] turns up this file is provided by libc6 (for arm64).
exactly, I just have downloaded arm64 distributive instead of amd64 :) , amd64 works well, I made the error because https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/ doesn't contain 1.9 and I have to load it manually
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rich

Aug 25, 2017, 9:49:58 AM8/25/17
to golang-nuts
One liner for installing on Linux. You can change the URL in the curl for other OS such as Mac, or any Unix like OS:

cd $GOROOT;cd ..;curl https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.9.linux-amd64.tar.gz | sudo tar zxvf -;cd;/usr/local/go/bin/go version

if you don't have GOROOT Set:
cd /usr/local;curl https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.9.linux-amd64.tar.gz | sudo tar zxvf -;cd;/usr/local/go/bin/go version

That installs into /usr/local/go.

Ian Lance Taylor

Aug 25, 2017, 12:40:00 PM8/25/17
to Steven Hartland, golang-nuts
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Steven Hartland <ste...@multiplay.co.uk> wrote:

> One thing I've noticed, having read through the blog post and release notes,
> is a mention of the issue with the netpoller is surprisingly absent.
>
> This issue has bitten us quite a bit, only tracked it down this week, so
> would have expected to see this one to mentioned given it can and does cause
> TCP connections from the runtime to fail randomly; something worth adding?

In general we don't mention every bug fix in the release notes, and
this one is fairly uncommon, and I think mainly occurs when trying to
connect to a TCP port on which nothing is listening. That said, if
you want to send in a patch for the release notes, that would be fine.
Thanks.

Ian

Steven Hartland

Aug 25, 2017, 3:57:26 PM8/25/17
to Ian Lance Taylor, golang-nuts
Thanks for the response Ian, if this was rare here I would agree, but prior to deploying a 1.9 build, we were experiencing this many times a day on a reconciliation daemon we have which talks to GCE API so we believe its more common than people may think.

My guess would be there aren't more reports because its hard to track and people just retry assuming its a network glitch.

I'll look to create a patch.

    Regards
    Steve

ahhb...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2017, 5:31:01 PM8/25/17
to golang-nuts
Just wanted to thank everyone who made this 10th release possible ! Great work to common and my personal benefit ! Thank You !
Andreas

On Friday, 25 August 2017 00:44:25 UTC+2, Chris Broadfoot wrote:
Hello gophers,

We just released Go 1.9.

alskio...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2017, 8:43:32 AM9/26/17
to golang-nuts
Hello,

We use a maven plugin to build a complex suite of Go based services. That plugin looks to the XML index provided by https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/ which currently does not include the 1.9 binaries even though they are available. Can someone look into why the 1.9 revs aren't indexed?

Thanks.

Igor Maznitsa

Sep 26, 2017, 8:48:40 AM9/26/17
to golang-nuts
if you use mvn-golang plugin then since 2.1.6 version it can process missing SDK in the list and since 2.1.7 it will be processing the list correctly because google returns not full list for just request but need some prefix in request