`go tool trace` blank page (404 + Uncaught ReferenceError: tr is not defined)

Pierre Neidhardt

Apr 18, 2017, 7:19:08 AM4/18/17
to golang-nuts
- OS: Arch Linux 64-bit

- go version: go version go1.8.1 linux/amd64

- browser: Chromium 57.0.2987.133

I've been willing to use the `trace` tool a long time ago (1 year?) but it
wasn't working: clicking on "View trace" would simply return a blank page.

It seems it is working for most people out there though, so I just gave it
another try, to no avail.

The inspector shows two errors:

```
GET http://127.0.0.1:46031/trace_viewer_html 404 (Not Found)

trace:41 Uncaught ReferenceError: tr is not defined
at onResult (trace:41)
at trace:25
```

Is this a bug?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Dave Cheney

Apr 18, 2017, 7:30:12 AM4/18/17
to golang-nuts
Did you install go from source? I've seen in the past that some operating system distributions strip the misc/ directory which breaks the go trace tool.

Pierre Neidhardt

Apr 22, 2017, 11:54:55 AM4/22/17
to golang-nuts
Yes, that was it! I reported upstream (Arch Linux) and it is now fixed. Thanks!

Dave Cheney

Apr 22, 2017, 7:07:39 PM4/22/17
to golang-nuts
Fedora does the same thing.

Pierre Neidhardt

Apr 23, 2017, 4:21:52 AM4/23/17
to golang-nuts
https://golang.org/doc/install/source does not document the folder hierarchy,
nor could I find it documented elsewhere.

Shouldn't we document the purpose of folders such as 'misc/'?