Go 1.2 Release Candidate 2 released

Andrew Gerrand

Oct 18, 2013, 2:23:59 AM10/18/13
to golang-nuts
Hi Go nuts,

We have just released go1.2rc2, a release candidate for Go 1.2.

This release candidate should be stable, but please exercise caution when deploying it to critical systems.

Please help us by testing your Go programs with the new tool chain and libraries, and report any problems using the issue tracker:
    http://golang.org/issue/new

You can download binary and source distributions from the usual place:
    https://code.google.com/p/go/downloads/list?q=go1.2rc2

To compile from source, update to the go1.2rc2 tag with "hg update go1.2rc2" and build as usual.

To find out what has changed, read the release notes for Go 1.2:
    http://tip.golang.org/doc/go1.2

Documentation for Go 1.2 is available at http://tip.golang.org/

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the release so far.

Andrew

guo tie

Oct 18, 2013, 4:48:49 AM10/18/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
great.

Sebastien Binet

Oct 18, 2013, 5:53:36 AM10/18/13
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
hi there,

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Andrew Gerrand <a...@golang.org> wrote:
> Hi Go nuts,
>
> We have just released go1.2rc2, a release candidate for Go 1.2.

nice work. already testing it at cern.

one question though:

"""
a new optional indexing notation [n] fetches argument n instead. The
value of n is 1-indexed.
[...]

fmt.Sprintf("%[3]c %[1]c %c\n", 'a', 'b', 'c')

the result is ""c a b". The [3] index accesses the third formatting
argument, which is 'c', [1] accesses the first, 'a', and then the next
fetch accesses the argument following that one, 'b'.
"""

why the 1-indexing ? why not 0-indexing like for slices and arrays ?

-s

David Symonds

Oct 18, 2013, 6:35:56 AM10/18/13
to Sebastien Binet, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
On 18 October 2013 20:53, Sebastien Binet <seb....@gmail.com> wrote:

> why the 1-indexing ? why not 0-indexing like for slices and arrays ?

It's 0-indexed for the arguments to fmt.Sprintf.

Sean Russell

Oct 18, 2013, 7:06:46 AM10/18/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Sebastien Binet, Andrew Gerrand

So fmt.Sprintf("%[0]s") is a sort of print quine?

--- SER

Sebastien Binet

Oct 18, 2013, 7:06:52 AM10/18/13
to David Symonds, Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
so you can recursively print yourself into fmt.Sprintf ? :P

fmt.Sprintf("this is %[0]s recursion")

-s

Rob Pike

Oct 18, 2013, 11:09:31 AM10/18/13
to Sean Russell, golan...@googlegroups.com, Sebastien Binet, Andrew Gerrand
If you like think of 0 as the format but really it's just because C's equivalent feature uses 1-indexing and it seemed wrong and unnecessary to differ.

-rob

Keith Rarick

Oct 18, 2013, 2:14:30 PM10/18/13
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Andrew Gerrand <a...@golang.org> wrote:
> We have just released go1.2rc2, a release candidate for Go 1.2.

The go1.2 branch of the Heroku buildpack is updated to go1.2rc2.

You can use it by running

heroku config:set
BUILDPACK_URL='https://github.com/kr/heroku-buildpack-go#go1.2'

As a reminder, once Go 1.2 is released, I'll update the master branch as well.

Constantine Vasil

Oct 18, 2013, 8:50:29 PM10/18/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

There is a problem with:
go1.2rc2.linux-amd64.tar.gz

sudo rm -r /usr/local/go
wget http://go.googlecode.com/files/go1.2rc2.linux-amd64.tar.gz
sudo tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.1.2.linux-amd64.tar.gz
/usr/local/VERSION
go1.1.2
Files are from Aug 12

sudo rm -r /usr/local/go
wget http://go.googlecode.com/files/go1.2rc2.src.tar.gz
sudo tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.2rc2.src.tar.gz
/usr/local/VERSION
go1.2.rc2
Files are from Oct 17

It seems I need to compile it myself from the source.
--Constantine

Dave Cheney

Oct 18, 2013, 8:55:45 PM10/18/13
to Constantine Vasil, golan...@googlegroups.com

On 19 Oct 2013, at 11:50, Constantine Vasil <ths...@gmail.com> wrote:

Andrew,

There is a problem with:
go1.2rc2.linux-amd64.tar.gz

sudo rm -r /usr/local/go
wget http://go.googlecode.com/files/go1.2rc2.linux-amd64.tar.gz
sudo tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.1.2.linux-amd64.tar.gz

^ Is this the problem ?

/usr/local/VERSION

Should this be /usr/local/go/VERSION ?

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:23:59 PM UTC-7, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
Hi Go nuts,

We have just released go1.2rc2, a release candidate for Go 1.2.

This release candidate should be stable, but please exercise caution when deploying it to critical systems.

Please help us by testing your Go programs with the new tool chain and libraries, and report any problems using the issue tracker:
    http://golang.org/issue/new

You can download binary and source distributions from the usual place:
    https://code.google.com/p/go/downloads/list?q=go1.2rc2

To compile from source, update to the go1.2rc2 tag with "hg update go1.2rc2" and build as usual.

To find out what has changed, read the release notes for Go 1.2:
    http://tip.golang.org/doc/go1.2

Documentation for Go 1.2 is available at http://tip.golang.org/

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the release so far.

Andrew

Andrew Gerrand

Oct 18, 2013, 9:46:10 PM10/18/13
to Constantine Vasil, golang-nuts
Can you describe the problem in words, rather than a bunch of commands? I'm not sure what you are expecting, and what you are seeing that seems wrong.

Thanks,
Andrew

Constantine Vasil

Oct 18, 2013, 10:07:12 PM10/18/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Constantine Vasil

>Should this be /usr/local/go/VERSION ?

yes I mistyped it.
also you can see files's dates in /usr/local/go/, they
are form  Aug 12

--Constantine

Dave Cheney

Oct 18, 2013, 10:09:43 PM10/18/13
to Constantine Vasil, golan...@googlegroups.com, Constantine Vasil
Please look several lines above that comment where I point out that you may be unpacking the wrong tarball.

Constantine Vasil

Oct 18, 2013, 10:17:35 PM10/18/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Constantine Vasil
You are correct. And I need to get some rest. ;)

Karan Misra

Oct 19, 2013, 2:47:08 AM10/19/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome :) Exciting stuff

Robert Zaremba

Nov 5, 2013, 3:40:49 PM11/5/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
How to recompile all site libs at once to go1.2?

Dave Cheney

Nov 5, 2013, 3:53:41 PM11/5/13
to Robert Zaremba, golan...@googlegroups.com
cd $GOPATH/src
go install ./...

But this shouldn't be necessary, the compiler will tell when there is a mismatch and recompile any out of date dependencies.

On 6 Nov 2013, at 7:40, Robert Zaremba <robert....@zoho.com> wrote:

How to recompile all site libs at once to go1.2?

minux

Nov 5, 2013, 3:54:10 PM11/5/13
to Robert Zaremba, golang-nuts

On Nov 5, 2013 3:40 PM, "Robert Zaremba" <robert....@zoho.com> wrote:
> How to recompile all site libs at once to go1.2?

go install all