Go policy does not fully support previous release

Liam

Sep 30, 2019, 3:49:39 PM9/30/19
to golang-nuts
I was startled to learn that regressions found in the previous release (currently 1.12.x) will not be fixed in that release. Regressions are only fixed in the most recent release.

If you wait until 1.12.5 to upgrade a deployment from 1.11.x, and then discover a regression on the day 1.13 comes out, tough luck. Either upgrade again to 1.13 or resort to a custom build.

I filed a proposal to change this:

Christoph Berger

Oct 2, 2019, 1:03:21 AM10/2/19
to golang-nuts
A question based on genuine interest: Which factors make it hard for you to upgrade to the latest Go release?

Axel Wagner

Oct 2, 2019, 4:25:52 AM10/2/19
to golang-nuts
Hey,

just because you asked for community-input multiple times (and I don't want to see claims again, that the Go team would ignore community input): I was aware of this policy and I agree with it.

If nothing else, consider that as *users* of Go, we also benefit from this policy. Because at the end of the day, you also have to decide how many Go versions back you want to support for your software. The fact that there is no LTS-version of Go or whatever and that you can pretty much assume "the current version and maybe the last" to be stable, simplifies things for the ecosystem at large.

Also, your arguments can just as well be made about the previous to last version, or the one before that, or the one before that… ad infinitum. Clearly it's unreasonable to expect changes to be backported to *all* releases, so some cutoff has to be decided. Which is, all things considered, still arbitrary.