beginner : best way to learn go

Roelof Wobben

Jan 17, 2015, 4:15:08 AM1/17/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I like to learn Go as a absolute beginner.
What is the best way to learn it. I like to have many exercises because that is the best way I learn.

Second question :  Does anyone know if I can use Go on nitrious.io, or koding,com ?

Roelof

Ian Davis

Jan 17, 2015, 4:36:51 AM1/17/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015, at 09:15 AM, Roelof Wobben wrote:
Hello,

I like to learn Go as a absolute beginner.
What is the best way to learn it. I like to have many exercises because that is the best way I learn.

I think you'll find the Go Tour https://tour.golang.org/welcome/1 a great way to start.

Ian

Qian Qiao

Jan 17, 2015, 11:45:26 AM1/17/15
to Roelof Wobben, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Sat Jan 17 2015 at 4:15:13 AM Roelof Wobben <rwo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

Second question :  Does anyone know if I can use Go on nitrious.io, or koding,com ?

I use go on nitrious.io. Few easy steps:

1. cd ~
3. cd go
4. git checkout go1.4.1
5. cd src
6. ./all.bash
7. Add ~/go/bin to your $PATH and create a directory as your $GOPATH

HTH.

-- Joe

Eric Johnson

Jan 18, 2015, 10:45:58 PM1/18/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
After you've done the tour, I recommend picking some project related to your interest/intent. If you need to build a command line tool, then think of a project to do that. Or if you need to work with a database, then play with those APIs.

I've always found that the single best way to learn a language is to start by fixing bugs. So maybe there's an open source project of interest?

Eric

ps

Jan 19, 2015, 9:31:51 AM1/19/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com

akwillis

Jan 19, 2015, 1:57:56 PM1/19/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com, rwo...@hotmail.com
I'd suggest trying out rust first. A true open source project.

Justin Israel

Jan 19, 2015, 3:10:10 PM1/19/15
to akwillis, golan...@googlegroups.com, rwo...@hotmail.com
On Tue Jan 20 2015 at 07:57:59 akwillis <akwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd suggest trying out rust first. A true open source project.

That's quite a snarky comment.

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:15:08 AM UTC-5, Roelof Wobben wrote:
Hello,

I like to learn Go as a absolute beginner.
What is the best way to learn it. I like to have many exercises because that is the best way I learn.

Second question :  Does anyone know if I can use Go on nitrious.io, or koding,com ?

Roelof

Ian Lance Taylor

Jan 19, 2015, 7:24:18 PM1/19/15
to akwillis, golang-nuts
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:57 AM, akwillis <akwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest trying out rust first. A true open source project.

There's nothing wrong with discussing or even recommending Rust on
this mailing list, but this comment adds nothing and is out of place
here. Please be constructive. Thanks.

Ian

Wojciech S. Czarnecki

Jan 20, 2015, 5:04:56 AM1/20/15
to akwillis, golan...@googlegroups.com, rwo...@hotmail.com

________________________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> [akwillis] I'd suggest trying out rust first.

This was mean. Rust, in its current creased shape*, gives a thick long rope
even to seasoned C/asm programmers.

> A true open source project.
What is closed in golang's github repo?

> On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:15:08 AM UTC-5, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> > I like to learn Go as a absolute beginner.
> > What is the best way to learn it.
> > I like to have many exercises because
> > that is the best way I learn.

Write an app. Start with 'hello world', then start adding to it.
Get all go books you can and read bedtime. At day use godoc more :)

Good Luck!

> > Roelof

P.S.* Scaly patches on patches of rust are byproduct of the 'openness'
understood as 'put into the language specs any weird idea mailed in by
accidental newcomer; do it in hurry!'

--
Wojciech S. Czarnecki
^oo^ OHIR-RIPE

Noilson Caio

Jan 20, 2015, 11:05:25 AM1/20/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
hi Roelof Wobben. i recomend : An Introduction to Programming in Go Copyright © 2012 by Caleb Doxsey.  -> http://www.golang-book.com/. do not forget to answer the questions =]

i...@vikaskalwani.com

Dec 16, 2017, 3:00:10 PM12/16/17
to golang-nuts

Terry McKenna

Dec 16, 2017, 6:31:02 PM12/16/17
to golang-nuts
The question is "what's the best way to learn Go".

Terry McKenna

Dec 16, 2017, 6:36:58 PM12/16/17
to golang-nuts
I've not read the book myself but it's a new title and might be worth the $25: "Sams Teach Yourself Go in 24 hours"

"In just 24 sessions of one hour or less, Sams Teach Yourself Go in 24 Hours will help new and experienced programmers build software that’s simpler, more reliable, and far more scalable. This book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach guides you from setting up your environment through testing and deploying powerful solutions."

ISBN-13: 978-0672338038
ISBN-10: 0672338033

matthe...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2017, 11:39:01 AM12/17/17
to golang-nuts
Effective Go (https://golang.org/doc/effective_go.html) covers most of it for new Go programmers experienced in other languages, then Google Search + stackoverflow.com, github.com issues, and golang-nuts answers most everything else in my experience.

I can't speak for beginner programmers but I would recommend Go as a first language.

Matt

Ajith A

Dec 23, 2021, 1:23:42 PM12/23/21
to golang-nuts

Best & effective way to learn go is the online courses. Now there are number of courses available in online,  but not all of them are worth your time and money. Here are some tips to help you get started your digital learning.
2. Choose one Area of studying
3. Choose one relevant course mentioned in that site
4. check the review and comments about that course, From your side