Support for -buildmode=shared on darwin/amd64

piotr....@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 5:17:53 PM9/19/16
to golang-dev
Are there any plans to support -buildmode=shared for platform darwin/amd64 ? Or possible timeframe / target version of language ?

Ian Lance Taylor

Sep 19, 2016, 5:27:59 PM9/19/16
to piotr....@gmail.com, golang-dev
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM, <piotr....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to support -buildmode=shared for platform darwin/amd64 ?
> Or possible timeframe / target version of language ?

I'm not aware of anybody currently working on that.

Ian

Jaana Burcu Dogan

Sep 22, 2016, 4:55:05 PM9/22/16
to Ian Lance Taylor, piotr....@gmail.com, golang-dev, Matt Aimonetti
+matt

AFAIK, Splice is working on it.

Matt Aimonetti

Sep 22, 2016, 7:07:37 PM9/22/16
to Jaana Burcu Dogan, Ian Lance Taylor, piotr....@gmail.com, golang-dev
We looked into the TLS issue on Mac which is the same as the one on Windows. The current implementation is a hack and our "fix" is also a sad hack (hence why we didn't open a PR). Someone will need to spend time looking at how to properly handle thread local storage instead of starting at a semi-random address and hope everything will go well. Another alternative that is being discussed in a github issue around the same issue on Windows is to use -buildmode=archive and use an external link (instead of using the Go linker).
I'm adding Evan to this thread since he has a bunch of experience with linkers and was looking for an excuse to dig into Go's ;)

- Matt

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <ia...@golang.org> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM,  <piotr....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to support -buildmode=shared for platform darwin/amd64 ?
> Or possible timeframe / target version of language ?

I'm not aware of anybody currently working on that.

Ian

Michael Hudson-Doyle

Sep 22, 2016, 10:05:52 PM9/22/16
to Matt Aimonetti, Jaana Burcu Dogan, Ian Lance Taylor, piotr....@gmail.com, golang-dev
Handling it hackishly is proooobably ok for -buildmode=shared (or at least, not significantly worse than the current situation) but proper handling would be needed for -buildmode=c-shared.

- Matt