reintroduce binary exponent float representation - via strconv.ParseFloat

Dan Kortschak

Sep 5, 2015, 2:42:51 AM9/5/15
to golang-dev
What is the likelihood of reintroducing the binary exponent form of
float representation, not via the language proper but via
strconv.ParseFloat?

Currently it is possible to render a float into binary exponent form,
but not to reparse it.

Rob Pike

Sep 5, 2015, 11:14:56 AM9/5/15
to Dan Kortschak, golang-dev
The likelihood improves if you file an issue. Might be above threshold for a proposal, since will require an API change.

-rob

Robert Griesemer

Sep 5, 2015, 11:32:26 AM9/5/15
to Rob Pike, Dan Kortschak, golang-dev
Please cc me on any such proposal. I'm interested in the details of a canonical representation. The main point of a binary exponent is cheap lossless conversion from decimal to binary and vice versa. Specifically the format should be readable and writable by big.Float.

Dan Kortschak

Sep 5, 2015, 5:16:07 PM9/5/15
to Rob Pike, golang-dev
Thanks, will do - simple issue in the first instance (cc'ing gri). I was just checking to see whether that was worthwhile.