Release timing

Rob Pike

Dec 15, 2014, 8:54:54 PM12/15/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
This is just me speaking, not the Go team.

I'd like to ask what people think about shifting our release cycle to spring and autumn rather than the current summer and winter cycles. The problem with the current cycle is that both release dates each year happen at inconvenient times on the calendar, with folks taking time off for official and unofficial holidays.

The current releases are June and December. It might be easier if they happened two or three months later (although still on the 6 month cycle), say September and March. To do this, we'd need to have an 8 or 9 month cycle first, but the 1.5 release is a major upheaval so it seems like a good candidate for having a little extra time to get the bugs out.

Please let me know what you think. Again, this is not an official proposal, just a question for now.

-rob

Andrew Gerrand

Dec 15, 2014, 8:57:35 PM12/15/14
to Rob Pike, golan...@googlegroups.com
This would work better around the conference schedule, too.

Dave Cheney

Dec 15, 2014, 8:57:58 PM12/15/14
to Rob Pike, golang-dev
I have felt the same for some time.

I support this proposal.

Thanks for raising this.

Cheers

Dave

Jens Frederich

Dec 16, 2014, 4:24:09 AM12/16/14
to Rob Pike, golang-dev
This would work better for me too.

David du Colombier

Dec 16, 2014, 4:51:46 AM12/16/14
to Rob Pike, golang-dev
I thought exactly the same. I agree with this proposal.

--
David du Colombier

Luna Duclos

Dec 16, 2014, 5:26:06 AM12/16/14
to Rob Pike, golang-dev
This would be a positive change for us as well

Lucio De Re

Dec 16, 2014, 5:50:32 AM12/16/14
to Rob Pike, golang-dev
For what it's worth, I also think this is a great idea.

Of course, one only gets this one chance; going back to the previous
cycle in future isn't really an option, is it? Just thought I'd
mention it, I don't think the need is likely to arise and if it does,
then one just skips one release cycle.

Lucio.

Brad Fitzpatrick

Dec 16, 2014, 5:51:48 AM12/16/14
to Lucio De Re, Rob Pike, golang-dev
Anything is an option.

Aram Hăvărneanu

Dec 16, 2014, 7:10:59 AM12/16/14
to Brad Fitzpatrick, Lucio De Re, Rob Pike, golang-dev
I strongly support this as well.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

Robert Griesemer

Dec 16, 2014, 2:17:20 PM12/16/14
to Rob Pike, golan...@googlegroups.com
I'm ok with this.
- gri

Russ Cox

Dec 16, 2014, 5:09:27 PM12/16/14
to Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, golang-dev
The current cycle is:

Dec, Jan, Feb: work
Mar, Apr, May: freeze
RELEASE Jun 1
Jun, Jul, Aug: work
Sep, Oct, Nov: freeze
RELEASE Dec 1

The trouble I have is that work phases get hit with both the summer and winter vacations, so we end up with very short amounts of time for real work. Shifting +3 months would move that problem completely onto the freezes.

Rob and I are now thinking maybe it makes sense to shift +2 months instead of +3 months, so that the split is different:

Feb, Mar, Apr: work
May, Jun, Jul: freeze
RELEASE Aug 1
Aug, Sep, Oct: work
Nov, Dec, Jan: freeze
RELEASE Feb 1

This shifts the vacations more into the freezes, but not completely.

To get to that cycle from where we are now, we'd add two months to the current release (except one month is basically gone already), picking up with the freeze on May 1.

That's the new proposal. Thoughts?

Russ

Dave Cheney

Dec 16, 2014, 5:17:42 PM12/16/14
to Russ Cox, Rob 'Commander' Pike, golang-dev, Robert Griesemer

Still LGTM.

This proposal is also fits better with the Ubuntu release cycle, so if I can vote twice (with different persona), LGTM.

Andrew Gerrand

Dec 16, 2014, 5:20:09 PM12/16/14
to Russ Cox, Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, golang-dev
LGTM

Jens Frederich

Dec 17, 2014, 1:02:18 AM12/17/14
to Andrew Gerrand, Russ Cox, Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, golang-dev
LGTM

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Andrew Gerrand <a...@golang.org> wrote:
LGTM

Florin Patan

Feb 9, 2015, 5:27:08 AM2/9/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I haven't seen this answered anywhere else so I'm going to ask it here.
Is there a concrete eta for 1.5? I'm asking this because it would be good for people to know when to plan various releases, especially for tools authors, or even conferences.
Following the discussion, should we expect it to be in August 2015?
Thank you.

Kind regards,
Florin

Dave Cheney

Feb 9, 2015, 5:33:49 AM2/9/15
to Florin Patan, golang-dev
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM, Florin Patan <flori...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I haven't seen this answered anywhere else so I'm going to ask it here.
> Is there a concrete eta for 1.5? I'm asking this because it would be good
> for people to know when to plan various releases, especially for tools
> authors, or even conferences.
> Following the discussion, should we expect it to be in August 2015?

Yes, the release was delayed 2 months, Go 1.5 is targeted to be
released on August 1, 2015

http://go-talks.appspot.com/github.com/golang/talks/2015/state-of-go.slide#9

https://github.com/golang/go/milestones

> Thank you.
>

> Kind regards,
> Florin
>

> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 2:54:54 AM UTC+1, Rob Pike wrote:
>>
>> This is just me speaking, not the Go team.
>>
>> I'd like to ask what people think about shifting our release cycle to
>> spring and autumn rather than the current summer and winter cycles. The
>> problem with the current cycle is that both release dates each year happen
>> at inconvenient times on the calendar, with folks taking time off for
>> official and unofficial holidays.
>>
>> The current releases are June and December. It might be easier if they
>> happened two or three months later (although still on the 6 month cycle),
>> say September and March. To do this, we'd need to have an 8 or 9 month cycle
>> first, but the 1.5 release is a major upheaval so it seems like a good
>> candidate for having a little extra time to get the bugs out.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think. Again, this is not an official
>> proposal, just a question for now.
>>
>> -rob

Russ Cox

Feb 9, 2015, 4:53:25 PM2/9/15
to Dave Cheney, Florin Patan, golang-dev
Yes, the below is now the plan of record. The freeze is May 1, and the release is August 1.