Slack #goreviews [WAS Slack #goreviews]

Sam Whited

Sep 23, 2016, 11:45:49 AM9/23/16
to Brad Fitzpatrick, Peter Waller, golang-dev
On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad...@golang.org> wrote:
> I just wanted to make clear that Slack isn't some official Go policy.

Thank you, that's encouraging.

> (But even if it were, it'd probably be a reasonable pragmatic choice like
> using Github instead of running our own Git instance)

I'm not sure this is the same; we don't have to run our own IRC
servers to not use slack, just point users at
http://webchat.freenode.net/ (you can also pre-fill in a channel and
the like).

As much as people say that slack is "easier" or has a smaller barrier
to entry, I don't buy it. Slack I have to jump through hoops to get an
invite (regardless of how automated it is), sign up for an account,
etc., IRC you just point me at a server and I don't have to give any
information to a third party if I don't want too.

I'm aware the decision has already been made (regardless of who made
it), and that this discussion is rather futile and not really anything
more than whining on my part so I apologize for hijacking your thread.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3

Brad Fitzpatrick

Oct 9, 2016, 4:42:09 PM10/9/16
to Sam Whited, Peter Waller, golang-dev
I've updated https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Questions at least.

Feel free to send a change to update anything else not on the wiki.

gop...@gardener.com

Oct 9, 2016, 6:02:45 PM10/9/16
to golang-dev, brad...@golang.org, pe...@pdftables.com
It seems the #go-nuts channel still does exist on freenode, just not well documented. It is listed on the help page at golang.org/help. I'd encourage to whom it may concern that the irc information also be stated on the wiki within the community section with similar resources.

gop...@gardener.com

Oct 9, 2016, 6:02:47 PM10/9/16
to golang-dev

I am concerned about many things regarding gopher slack. Most concerning is the amount of information demanded of new participants, those that dont comply are banished.

Also, the statement regarding gophers voting with their feet and moving to slack in droves is pure hyperbole. The community is stagnant, hundreds of channels, thousands of users, yet nothing really happening. I suspect most users joined due to sensationalism, and most users abandoned the sprouting community due to neo-authoritarianism.

There was once an irc channel listed within the documentation. It seems that has changed in favor of promoting the use of slack(ironic considering statements made by a member of the core team).

I encourage this community to reestablish an irc channel.

Andrew Gerrand

Oct 9, 2016, 6:35:45 PM10/9/16
to gop...@gardener.com, golang-dev
I think not including IRC on the Questions wiki page was an oversight that has since been corrected. Thanks for the note.

I also disagree with Slack's real names policy (which is, more practically, a "real-sounding names," policy) but it's not my forum to moderate; they can do it as they see fit. And they seem to be doing a good job, for some subset of the community. I think that is fine.

Both communications channels have very different tone.
Some people may be more at comfortable with one than the other.
Not everyone has to talk in the same way in the same place, IMO *that* would be authoritarian.

Sam Whited

Oct 10, 2016, 9:51:01 AM10/10/16
On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad...@golang.org> wrote:
> I've updated https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Questions at least.

Many thanks; it's good to know alternatives are available.

Florin Pățan

Oct 10, 2016, 11:52:48 AM10/10/16
to golang-dev, gop...@gardener.com
Hi,

I would be interested to hear from you or anyone else what are these concerns and see if / how they can be addressed. Please feel free to write me at florin [ at ] golangbridge [ dot ] org or ping me on Slack.
We have different audiences and different reasons to exists, but if you want a safe, respectful place to chat in with other Gophers about technology (and Go in particular), GoBridge communities will always welcome everyone.

Kind regards,
Florin