CPU SIMD for Golang

Константин Изюмов

Jun 15, 2017, 12:43:49 PM6/15/17
to golang-dev
Hello!
I want to clarify about SIMD for Golang. Let`s compare with Dart.
For dart-lang SIMD created at 2013 in according to https://www.dartlang.org/articles/dart-vm/simd, so afterr 2 years from dart first appeare in according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dart_(programming_language).
Now, we haven`t SIMD in Go after 8 years from golang first appeare in according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(programming_language) and yes, we have many incredible Go tools, but not SIMD.
Yes, now we can have asembly Plan9 and ... for solving SIMD tasks, but in my opinion we standart library is better way for using.
One more point - I mean CPU SIMD, but not about GPU SIMD - we have the answer - "No gourutine"(https://blog.golang.org/go-at-io-frequently-asked-questions).
Have we forecast about standart tool CPU SIMD for Golang in future?
May community help to create that standart library? (for example, with API like in Dart).

Best Regards,
Izyumov Konstantin

Keith Randall

Jun 15, 2017, 12:50:57 PM6/15/17
to Константин Изюмов, golang-dev
I don't think anyone is working on this.
Feel free to make a concrete proposal. https://github.com/golang/proposal#readme
Another good start would be to write a package that provides some of the data types and operations you'd like to see.

Константин Изюмов

Jun 15, 2017, 12:57:12 PM6/15/17
to golang-dev, konstan...@gmail.com
Thank you, I never see this good rep.
I will think about proposal.

Sebastien Binet

Jun 15, 2017, 4:20:01 PM6/15/17
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Константин Изюмов <konstan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you, I never see this good rep.
I will think about proposal.

there was some discussion about SIMD there:
(that lead to the introduction of "math/bits" in 1.9)

hth,
-s