Slack #goreviews

Brad Fitzpatrick

Sep 21, 2016, 12:43:13 PM9/21/16
to golang-dev
If anybody has outstanding Go (standard library, x/*) code reviews and want to ping about or discuss them, I'm experimenting with hanging out in Slack #goreviews (https://gophers.slack.com/messages/goreviews/) while I'm working.

Sam Whited

Sep 21, 2016, 2:55:08 PM9/21/16
to Brad Fitzpatrick, golang-dev
Thanks for being willing to hang out while you're working; I love that
one fo the core team members is willing to do this and I hope it
doesn't become too overwhelming for you :)
I've tried signing up for a Slack invite a couple of times, but never
gotten one; I'd love to get a core team members opinion a few open
encoding/xml (yes, I know, I'm sorry) changesets that I've had in for
a while but which there doesn't seem to be much consensus on.

—Sam

Annoying P.S., you can stop reading now:

I don't want to be "that guy" but it feels poor to me that the Go
community uses Slack. I've never been able to get an invite (filled
out the form and asked people, never been sent one), and I don't
especially want to create a login with Slack or have to use one of
their laggy clients anyways (I have no idea how they manage to ramp my
CPU up to 100% and lag constantly, but they always do). IRC (which
probably makes the most sense for things like this) and XMPP exist,
work very well, and are very easy to use (and also probably have
hosted solutions available, though admittedly I've never looked into
this); we could even set up a simple web interface (there are many
free ones available) for the "I don't want to leave the browser"
crowd.

--
Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3

Florin Pățan

Sep 22, 2016, 3:48:51 AM9/22/16
to golang-dev
Hi Sam,

I'm sorry you had problems signing up in Slack. Please ping on Twitter or on my email address with your email address and I'll try to sort this out.

For everyone interested, the official invite form is here https://invite.slack.golangbridge.org/ Please don't use anything else to get the signup.
Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Florin

Sam Whited

Sep 22, 2016, 10:10:04 AM9/22/16
to Florin Pățan, golang-dev
Thanks Florian, much appreciated.

Edward Muller pinged me OOB with an invite.

—Sam

Peter Waller

Brad Fitzpatrick

Sep 23, 2016, 10:55:37 AM9/23/16
to Peter Waller, Sam Whited, golang-dev
You two can both agree with yourself all you want, and I kinda agree too (with my decentralize-everything hat on), but that doesn't affect the users who've already voted with their feet and gone to Slack in droves.

The Go team didn't decree that Slack was the place. The users did.

I started hanging out on Slack only after much reluctance. And it's is definitely better than any IRC client or IRC web interface I've ever seen. So I don't care too much.

The invite thing is a little inconvenient, but they've automated it and it should take seconds. If not, they're very responsive to fixing issues.

Peter Waller

Sep 23, 2016, 11:26:01 AM9/23/16
to Brad Fitzpatrick, Sam Whited, golang-dev
On 23 September 2016 at 15:55, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad...@golang.org> wrote:
You two can both agree with yourself all you want, and I kinda agree too (with my decentralize-everything hat on), but that doesn't affect the users who've already voted with their feet and gone to Slack in droves.

Sorry Brad. I don't think either of us were intending to be disparaging. I think we all understand each other here. I recognise I'm lamenting the way the universe is at the moment, and the futility of this. I continue to hope for a better future though, and thought it was worth echoing another so they wouldn't stand in the darkness alone.

Brad Fitzpatrick

Sep 23, 2016, 11:34:14 AM9/23/16
to Peter Waller, Sam Whited, golang-dev

I think we're all on the same page then.

I just wanted to make clear that Slack isn't some official Go policy.

(But even if it were, it'd probably be a reasonable pragmatic choice like using Github instead of running our own Git instance)

Jaana Burcu Dogan

Sep 23, 2016, 5:40:48 PM9/23/16
to Brad Fitzpatrick, golang-dev
Thanks for initiating a form of channel for this. Often times, things require a bit of chat before committing more work on an idea. Communicating on a CL often has a longer rtt.