trybots not running tests after 1 failure?

Russ Cox

Jan 10, 2018, 11:27:04 AM1/10/18
to golang-dev
https://go-review.googlesource.com/c/go/+/87155/3 produced a failure on linux-amd64: https://storage.googleapis.com/go-build-log/91a88879/linux-amd64_d0111c6d.log.

Why does the test log stop at cmd/go? "go test std cmd" would have continued on running the remaining directories from "go list std cmd", namely cmd/gofmt, link, nm, and so on. But they were not run. Can we fix that?

I know that if the std+cmd tests fail then we don't run things like the race tests or misc/cgo/foo, and that's fine. But we should finish the std+cmd tests even when one fails.

Thanks.
Russ

Brad Fitzpatrick

Jan 10, 2018, 12:46:37 PM1/10/18
to Russ Cox, golang-dev
The builders don't run "go test std cmd".

To shard tests over different machines, they first run "go tool dist test --list", and then shard those tests over all builders.

I suppose it could do something different, but right now it prioritizes telling you something failed as soon as possible.