Get a (very) early look of what’s coming with the new UI for Gerrit

Andy Bonventre

Aug 27, 2016, 2:50:31 PM8/27/16
to golan...@googlegroups.com
If you don’t use go-review.googlesource.com for code review, you can stop reading now.

About a year ago I began a rewrite for the frontend of Gerrit with a focus on simplicity and speed. Since then it’s become a fully-fledged product supported by the Gerrit team and is moving along at a rapid pace.

We would love to get feedback and bug reports from the Go developer community.

+ To try the new UI, you can add a query parameter to the current URL: ?polygerrit=1 (or ?polygerrit=0 to turn it off). There is a Chrome extension that makes it much easier to toggle between the two.
+ To file a new bug, there is a link in the footer but you can also head directly to https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/entry?template=PolyGerrit%20Issue

Please keep in mind that this is not an announcement that the product is done by any means, but an invitation for those interested to kick the tires.

Looking forward to feedback from the Go dev community.
Andrew

Andrew Gerrand

Aug 28, 2016, 9:40:40 PM8/28/16
to Andy Bonventre, golan...@googlegroups.com
I've been using PolyGerrit for many months now, and while it lacks some of the features of the previous Gerrit UI it is way faster  and cleaner. I recommend that the Go contributors give it a try.

Great work, Andy!

Anmol Sethi

Aug 28, 2016, 9:54:03 PM8/28/16
to Andy Bonventre, golan...@googlegroups.com
Wow I love it. This is a much appreciated improvement. Thank you!

Brad Fitzpatrick

Aug 28, 2016, 10:49:56 PM8/28/16
to Andrew Gerrand, Andy Bonventre, golan...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, likewise!

I've been using it for some time now and while I used to toggle back & forth pretty often in the early days, increasingly I'm staying in the new UI.

Thanks for your continued work on this. Whenever I try to sell Gerrit to people, inevitably they complain about the UI, so it's nice to know that a new version is coming.

Andy Bonventre

Jaana Burcu Dogan

Aug 29, 2016, 4:04:06 AM8/29/16
to Andy Bonventre, golan...@googlegroups.com
I am such a big fan of PolyGerrit even though it took me a while to appreciate the extra whitespace >:)

Thanks so much for your hard work!

Dmitri Savintsev

May 3, 2017, 4:59:26 AM5/3/17
to golang-dev
The "Reviewing code by others" section of the Contribution Guide  gives instructions on how to import a change into your local Git repository [1].  I could find the Download link only after I changed to the old UI - will it not be available in the new one?  If so, should we change the Contribution Guide? I can open an issue to track it if you'd like.

[1] https://tip.golang.org/doc/contribute.html#download
On the Gerrit review page, click the "Download ▼" link in the upper right corner, copy the "Checkout" command and run it from your local Git repo. It should look something like this:

$ git fetch https://go.googlesource.com/review refs/changes/21/1221/1 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD

Alberto Donizetti

May 3, 2017, 5:02:11 AM5/3/17
to golang-dev