Proposal process

Dave Cheney

Jul 25, 2015, 12:14:04 AM7/25/15
to golang-dev
Hello,

This evening I was going through the list of proposals [1] and I have
some concerns.

It is not clear which proposal have been accepted; I'm assuming the
accepted ones are

a. not closed
b. with a milestone

However several proposals which meet those criteria, but bare the
milestone "unplanned" -- does this mean they are accepted ? If so,
should the author be proceeding to the next stage of the proposal
process ? If not, what does this mean ?

Similarly some proposals have a "proposal" tag, which is nice, but not
available unless the author has the commit bit (yay github), should we
be helping by tagging proposal shaped things with "proposal" ?

Lastly, many proposals lack a milestone, but instead have a comment
directing them to one of the go team for further review; some of these
comments are quite old.

I feel strongly that the success of the proposal program depends on
authors getting clear and responsive feedback. I think more remains to
be done in both these areas.

Thanks for your time

Dave

1. https://github.com/golang/go/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+proposal

Russ Cox

Jul 27, 2015, 11:25:35 AM7/27/15
to Dave Cheney, golang-dev
I agree - we need clear and responsive feedback about what the state of things is.

It's not actually clear to me whether we've started using the proposal process yet. I thought it was still just a proposal!

Russ

Rob Pike

Jul 27, 2015, 4:52:34 PM7/27/15
to Russ Cox, Dave Cheney, golang-dev
So did I!

Caleb Spare

Jul 27, 2015, 4:57:36 PM7/27/15
to Rob Pike, Russ Cox, Dave Cheney, golang-dev
Too bad there isn't a process that defines the sequence of actions
that need to happen for this proposal to be accepted.

Andrew Gerrand

Jul 27, 2015, 9:26:58 PM7/27/15
to Dave Cheney, golang-dev
I haven't created the proposal repo, so we're not using the new process yet. I am going to do that in the next 48 hours.

On 25 July 2015 at 14:14, Dave Cheney <da...@cheney.net> wrote:
Hello,

This evening I was going through the list of proposals [1] and I have
some concerns.

It is not clear which proposal have been accepted; I'm assuming the
accepted ones are

a. not closed
b. with a milestone

However several proposals which meet those criteria, but bare the
milestone "unplanned" -- does this mean they are accepted ? If so,
should the author be proceeding to the next stage of the proposal
process ? If not, what does this mean ?

Once we have the proposal repo I'll go over the existing proposals and respond as per the process.

Similarly some proposals have a "proposal" tag, which is nice, but not
available unless the author has the commit bit (yay github), should we
be helping by tagging proposal shaped things with "proposal" ?

Yes, we should add 'proposal' tags.